Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sooo... I was going to replace my gas tank today but the previous tank still had gas in it... Sooo I said to myself... Why dont you just turn the bike on and run it out.... So I did... About an hour later It spewed antifreeze out of somewhere...

I cant tell where it came from or why... Any Ideas??? These bikes have fans on them to keep them cool or so I thought.

Anything I should Check to make sure I didnt seriously hurt her?

Thanks Guys\

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
You're taking the tank off anyway right? When you get it off, check the fill cap that will be right under the tank. It's a pressure release type cap. If the bike did overheat, it's possible the coolant pressure built up too much and this cap released it!

While you have the tank off, this would also be a great time to change your coolant if you haven't done so already.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That would be great if thats all it is..

I will def change the coolant while it is off.

Much appreciated.

I will let you know how it goes

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Happened to me a while back. It never got hot (or at least, the light didn't come on) but I did notice the fan was running non stop, and when I got to my destination, my overpants and bike where covered in this white chalky stuff. I could smell it as antifreeze, and after looking around I found it was coming from that cap. I managed to fanagle my hand to take the cap off and then tighten it back down again, and it hasn't happened since. But, it would be MUCH easier to deal with the cap with the tank off. You may even consider replacing the cap in case it simply failed.

By the way where do you live? If you live in a very warm climate (southern florida, texas, etc.) you may consider using a mixture containing a little more distilled water than anti-freeze. Water actually cools better than antifreeze, but antifreeze is necessary to keep things from corroding and to prevent the water from freezing, expanding in the engine and damaging things. But if you live in a warm climate, you could consider running it like 60% water, 40% antifreeze as I've seen some do. Keeps the fan running a little less in the hot summers.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
You're taking the tank off anyway right? When you get it off, check the fill cap that will be right under the tank. It's a pressure release type cap. If the bike did overheat, it's possible the coolant pressure built up too much and this cap released it!

While you have the tank off, this would also be a great time to change your coolant if you haven't done so already.
A good place to start. But if the cap is secure, all excess pressure should be venting to the reservoir under the left side cover. While you've got the tank off, check the upper radiator hose too, and all the hose clamps. You probably didn't do anything wrong, and hopefully it's just an easy fix.

·
Registered
545 Posts
check your oil make sure it does not smell funny,

what the heck just change it !!!

just my opinion the longest idle time on my v2k that I feel ok with is about 10 minutes, one time while crossing the Mexico US border back in to the US my engine got so hot it almost did not start at sentry post

next time i'll push the bike some

double check every thing

good luck

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Guys

Thanks for your advice and direction... I got the tank off and attached is a picture of what I ran into.

To be honest all the hoses look pretty good and the cap looked fine as well so I am not to sure what happened.

I am going to get it all cleaned up and do a better inspection tomorrow.

any further ideas looking at the pic are appreciated.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
The cap and hoses may look fine but, it looks to me like that was the source of the leak. It will probably only leak when hot.

There have been reports of needing to tighten or install second hose clamps on those hoses, especially on lower mileage bikes that are a couple years old (i.e., bikes that have sat). Go to the hardware store and get a couple stainless steel hose clamps (alot of times the automotive ones are not stainless, you definitely want stainless here) and maybe add an extra hose clamp. You'll need to take the cap off anyway to do the coolant change, when you do that, give it a good look and make sure it doesn't have any signs of the seal being damaged.

Good luck,

John

·
Registered
698 Posts
You had it idling for an hour to drain the tank???? Anyhow there should be an overflow tube coming from the expansion tank behind the left side panel. If the coolant was overheating it should come out of that not out of the radiator cap or anywhere else.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks again for the help and direction all..

I found out that the hose on the right going down into the engine sprung a leak...

I am heading out today to try and get a replacement..

Wish me luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts