Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I just bought a '86 Vulcan and I believe it has some gummed up carbs; the guy I spoke with told me me has a ultra sonic cleaner. Has anyone had any experience with this and does it rejuvenate seals?

Thanks,

NN

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
It doesn't rejuvenate seals, but its high frequency agitation will clear gunk out of passages you could never hope to reach by hand. In combination with compressed air and good carb cleaner, it will work wonders. I've been extremely impressed with mine both on carbs and on all sorts of other pieces I've pulled off motors. A few minutes in there and they come out looking like new.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
new occurance

Okay, since I was told this I've had a few issues... A day or two after this I was riding ('86 vulcan) trying to drain down my tank, it got down to half full on my gauge then lost power and died, it did this 2 times prior to not starting again... I loaded it up and took it home, a few weeks later I took the tank off and noticed it was nearly empty ( I filled it and charged the battery a bit and it started right up.) The next day I drove it to work having it up to 70 mph for roughly an hour, I would think if it was the battary this would have charged it; however, on the way home while I had the RPM's up, it died...

Not but a month ago I had a mechanic check the stator and the regulator; they both checked out producing well over 1400.

I'm currently planning to have the tank cleaned... Could my problem be because of carbs being gummed up?

Thanks for any feed back! (I'm very new to motorcycling; however, this has been kind of a good thing as I'm learning all about this bike, hopefully someday I'll get it running without stranding me in 110 degree weather.) :)

NN

·
Registered
11,754 Posts
The tank probably emptied itself into the engine oil because the petcock does not work.
Everywhere fuel touches will have to be cleaned and checked or the bike will give you nothing but trouble. Stranding is no fun!

By the way, check the oil for being too full and smelling of gas. If so, change immediately.

Post back with your results.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The tank probably emptied itself into the engine oil because the petcock does not work.
Everywhere fuel touches will have to be cleaned and checked or the bike will give you nothing but trouble. Stranding is no fun!

By the way, check the oil for being too full and smelling of gas. If so, change immediately.

Post back with your results.
so just so I have it right - I should pull the fill cap to see if it smells like gas, if it does I should change it... Do I need to do anything else to safeguard this other than change out the oil if there is gas in it?

Also areas fuel touch
1. fuel line & filter
2. petcock
3. Carburetors’

Is there any area I'm leaving out?

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Maybe i'm missing something? What in the world does the fuel petcock have to do with the engine oil? I've never seen a bike that would put fuel into the oil through the petcock. Are you suggesting that the fuel ran right through the carb into the cylinder and filled the cylinder with raw fuel while he was riding it down the road?

If that were possible, i'd be looking at the float not working properly.

GodSoldier: what happened to having the carbs cleaned with the ultra-sonic cleaner? That would have taken care of the carb body, the jets, and the float.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Maybe i'm missing something? What in the world does the fuel petcock have to do with the engine oil? I've never seen a bike that would put fuel into the oil through the petcock. Are you suggesting that the fuel ran right through the carb into the cylinder and filled the cylinder with raw fuel while he was riding it down the road?

If that were possible, i'd be looking at the float not working properly.

GodSoldier: what happened to having the carbs cleaned with the ultra-sonic cleaner? That would have taken care of the carb body, the jets, and the float.
Helek_52: It's still my plan to have the carbs cleaned... Just wanting to make sure I'm looking in the right area for the problem. The reason I'm questioning it was because the bike was low on gas then after jumping the battary it ran for a bit; however, once it died on me this last time even after I tried jumping it again, it would not start. (From everyone I've spoken with it sounds like a fuel issue.) I don't think it's electrical since it won't maintain an idle and since I know about the large amount of rust in the tank.

I'm just trying to aviod paying for things that might not need to be done or that arn't causing the problem.

NN

·
Registered
11,754 Posts
Reread the post. He said that it quit with 1/2 tank of fuel left. Went back 2 weeks later and tank was nearly empty.
Yes, if petcock does not shut off, fuel runs into the carbs flooding them and spilling over into the air box or the cylinders, depending on the carb orientation. It then leaks past the rings and into the crankcase or out on the floor in the case of the airbox.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Reread the post. He said that it quit with 1/2 tank of fuel left. Went back 2 weeks later and tank was nearly empty.
Yes, if petcock does not shut off, fuel runs into the carbs flooding them and spilling over into the air box or the cylinders, depending on the carb orientation. It then leaks past the rings and into the crankcase or out on the floor in the case of the airbox.
Thanks for all the helpful hints and recommendations, I'll make sure to check what has been mentioned.

NN

·
Registered
11,754 Posts
so just so I have it right - I should pull the fill cap to see if it smells like gas, if it does I should change it... Do I need to do anything else to safeguard this other than change out the oil if there is gas in it?

Also areas fuel touch
1. fuel line & filter
2. petcock
3. Carburetors’

Is there any area I'm leaving out?
Yes, to the oil. That is about all one can do.

Tank, but I think you mentioned that. Everything must be as clean as a glutton's dinner plate for it to operate correctly.
Check the rubber parts in the petcock closely...it is common for them to rot out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts