Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I have a VN900 Custom and at just over 11,000 km the rear tyre is about 90% worn while the front is only 10% worn.

The easiest thing to do is to replace the rear with another Dunlop D404. However, I have never been a fan of Dunlop tyres and for the last few thousand kilometres the rear has felt "iffy" (that's a technical term :D).

I was wondering about changing to another brand but that would mean replacing the hardly worn front tyre. But if I do switch then what do folks recommend?

My initial research shows that there are no Michelins in the 180/70-15 size but Pirelli Night Dragons look good. Bridgestone also has a tyre in this size. Any thoughts please?

Regards,
Peter

·
Registered
122 Posts
Metzler 880 is a popular choice and deservedly so.
I've had mine on the bike for close to 10k miles and I think I can get about 2k more before a change is needed.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
151 Posts
My last tire was a Bridgestone Exedra Max ... so much good tire, what grip! (I must say that i love close curves...). NOW I HAVE a Pirelli night dragon tires (front and rear), and i love it... the only thing it's about the new change to 200/70 r15 on Pirelli's.. the bike feels tied... as soon this tire finish its life i return to 180's

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
... as soon this tire finish its life i return to 180's
I think I agree. I am an old/retired production engineer and I have an old fashioned idea that Kawasaki might know what is best for their bikes ;).

Thanks for the feed-back; I will go with a full set of Pirellis rather than just a new Dunlop rear (still seems a shame to throw away a front tire with so much life left in it).

Regards,
Peter

·
Registered
78 Posts
I just replaced the rear tire on my 900 custom after 8600 miles. I went with a Metzeler in a different size. A 170/80. A little taller tire which I've been told will make the speedo a little more accurate, and drop the rpms just a little. So far I like it. The install was a little tricky because of a lowering kit on the bike. About 4 inches of the plastic inner fender needed to be removed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts