Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, first off thanks for reading this in advance. ☺

Over the last year my 07 900 Custom has developed a slow oil leak in the casings of the engine. I been so busy with school and work that I haven't had the time to really investigate it further. Anybody else ever experience this? If so what is the culprit? Thanks in advance to any insight you can offer. Its not soo much that it makes a sizeable (or really much of any) difference on the sight glass, but it still enough to warrant putting a piece of cardboard under the bike over any length of time.

-Cheers, Graham

·
Registered
761 Posts
I have seen and heard of oil on the wires that run to the voltage regulator but other than that not really familiar with oil leaks on these bikes.Has the motor been taken apart anytime in the bikes life that could cause a seal or gasket to leak/fail?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No it's never been apart. Haven't even changed the plugs on it yet (only has 20k km's on it, which is about 13k k miles) hmm... okay I'll check into that.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
From your description it is somewhat difficult to determine what sort of leak you are experiencing - can you include a photo of where it is taking place? My '07 900 didn't leak until my stator went bad and when reattaching the stator cover I tried to get by without using a new gasket and a gasket sealant. It may be necessary in your case to have to re-torque some bolts.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Using the principle of simplest first: did you do an oil change recently? Or if not did you check that the oil filter is tight?

It's towards the front of the engine and if it started to leak the wind would make it look like it's a leak farther back. Just a thought. :)

May want to check torque on all the case bolts too. Something may have just loosened up enough. Gaskets don't usually start leaking unless you take them apart first...

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey guys, thanks for the responses. Unfortunately I'm at my farm right now with the seeding so I'm very busy with that, the bike is at my buddies house in Calgary, so I can't take any pics as of yet. It's not coming from the filter, but instead (judging by the looks of it) a side cover or the like. When I get back there I'll take a much closer look. Perhaps some of the bolts have come loose, which is where the oil may be seeping out of.

Again thanks, I'll post pics when I get to it. Until then, thanks for the responses, much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Hey guys, thanks for the responses. Unfortunately I'm at my farm right now with the seeding so I'm very busy with that, the bike is at my buddies house in Calgary, so I can't take any pics as of yet. It's not coming from the filter, but instead (judging by the looks of it) a side cover or the like. When I get back there I'll take a much closer look. Perhaps some of the bolts have come loose, which is where the oil may be seeping out of.

Again thanks, I'll post pics when I get to it. Until then, thanks for the responses, much appreciated.
And what are we seeding:devil2::devil2:

·
Registered
40 Posts
When you say "casings" are you referring to the cylinder jugs? There is a hole drilled in each one about half way down and my bike seeps oil out of the rear one. I have tried to research this some myself and most people say it is the o-ring at the base of the spark plug tube. I'll include a picture to show what im talking about. This picture is of the rear cylinder of my bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just in case. Have you check air filter recently? There is a vent that gets oil, and if it is not cleaned it or plastic cap is missing, it may cause spill oil over motor.
You may try this easy fix.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts