Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Tx Kawboy Invasion 2015

108K views 2K replies 13 participants last post by  Poncho Villa 
#1 ·
I can't find the original thread Kendawg started, so I'll just start it again! Kendawg had a great map that shows he's a lot more technologically advanced than I am, or he got his students to do that for him...:rolleyes:
Ponch brought up the idea of tagging the invasion possibly to a holiday, and staying off of the interslabs.
I suggested we might have to help the cornhuskers a little by making ourselves a little easier to find by meeting at the Sidney Nebraska Cabelas parking lot.
I didn't see it, but I heard through the grape vine that Co0ter called Cabelas a Mexican food/burrito shack......which is like cursing at St Peter at the Pearly Gates to outdoorsmen everywhere!:eek: I'm bringing a bar of soap so you can wash those potty fingers you typed that with!:mad::D

If the original thread is still here somewhere, my apologies. Co0ter and I couldn't find it, so here is volume II (2)

#2 ·
Hi-jacked thread

I can't find the original thread Kendawg started, so I'll just start it again!

I didn't see it, but I heard through the grape vine that Co0ter called Cabelas a Mexican food/burrito shack......which is like cursing at St Peter at the Pearly Gates to outdoorsmen everywhere!:eek: I'm bringing a bar of soap so you can wash those potty fingers you typed that with!:mad::D

You all get things sorted out and I (lil johnny) A.K.A (potty fingers):p be over here mindin my own:cool: as to keep this thread from getting hi-jacked AGAIN. :rolleyes:

What I'm prly gna end up doing is crossing your paths and fall in with you guys somewhere along the route and riding with you all possibly for however long on my way to Washington... Initial thoughts anyways... Will see what happens.. Ok, lil johnny gna go stand in the corner now.

#3 ·
You all get things sorted out and I (lil johnny) A.K.A (potty fingers):p be over here mindin my own:cool: as to keep this thread from getting hi-jacked AGAIN. :rolleyes:

What I'm prly gna end up doing is crossing your paths and fall in with you guys somewhere along the route and riding with you all possibly for however long on my way to Washington... Initial thoughts anyways... Will see what happens.. Ok, lil johnny gna go stand in the corner now.

Funny stuff. I taught HS Ag for a couple years. Use to make the most vertically challenged (shortest) student draw about a half-dozen little circles along the chalk board at the beginning of class. Throughout the class, as students started trying to disrupt the class, I'd make them go put their nose in a circle.

#4 ·
Incorporating the invasion over the holiday (4th) idear is BUENO!:eek: ooops! what I was planning on doing as well for the Washington trip if all works out.

How long I gta stand here with my nose in the circle??????

#5 · (Edited)
Incorporating the invasion over the holiday (4th) idear is BUENO!:eek: ooops! what I was planning on doing as well for the Washington trip if all works out.
How long I gta stand here with my nose in the circle??????
c0otS,, so you dont have much training in disciplinary measures?.. paid my dues 8yrs in chino.. er, catholic skool, same difference.. Attilla the Nun wuld smak you with Yard stik.. What to do? take the marker and draw a circle around your nose.. That way your nose is still inside the circle while She is chasing you around the classroom with that yardstik.. maintain a 4 foot lead, is safe and keeps her engaged till she trips over her burka or whatever that body bag is called.

4th July is Sat. Some get friday off? The week of June 27-July 5 mite be good? Or is July 4-12 a better time? itsa crap shoot with Weather and Krowds. depending where and when.
I suggested Nebraska as an Intercept of 57. that itself is a boring run up I-35. Dakotas are near by, Zig get his fix.. West Tx is bone dry flat desert. I-25 up the front range is flat and straight, only good for making miles, yuk. Wyoming is only perty when you get to the western parks. Montana is the same. In the Mountains. not next to them in the cities, yuk!

what would be good is if each posted thier ideal route and/or wish list of waypoints, routes. then possibly we could extrapolate a plan that got most of it.. and/or other could bust loose and do their thing.. poncho

#6 ·
No takerz on the kawpoke invasion 2015??????

Comon ladies and gents, there's seriously noooo one that wants to go on the INVASION, really? :confused:

I don't care what the route is, cuz (I FIND YA).... CABELAS OR NO CABELAS!:D

I'm still runnin around with a dang circle on my face getn wacked with a yard stick thanks to PONCHO!!!!:eek:

I agree PONCHO, there is so very little to see on the roads and area you threw out there if your heading this way from Texas......JUst TerRRible scenery!!!!!!!That's why I don't care bout the route that you all decide to take for the invasion.... cuz I ALWAYS look forward to taking a rode trip OUT of Nebraska!!!!

I always say to myself, ya just gta suck it up while traveling to beauty....just gta make it thru several states of NOTHING (hell) before you get there, especially from here tho!

So EVERY road trip from here is better then any good day at work when your on 2 wheels....

Amen!

#7 · (Edited)
c0oTs n Bo0tS,, EZ ther lil fella, kalm down. it's way too erly 4 mos fellers, an bein holly daze cetera, folks are bizzy.. meanin broke.
This shindig is 6-7 months out. not many make life plans that long let alone road trip. an thas a long time to wait. y'all be mouth foamin b4 this gets here.
This is a bigger n Snott kinda gettyup. Most fellas can't won't join as they can't won't do the time.

What mite work is a central type meet up and then ride out. Some can meet. Some can ride out. Others can jump in - out where it fits their locale n time.

Reality is ther'd be only a handful few that could do any portion of this. The venue as of yet to be defined and is the biggest item of attraction. If it is something common ez access and high value (meet up spot drink 57s beer) then ther may be a larger audience draw.
As for a ride, every body has thier personal preferences and constraints. Riding with 1 person you know well is still work. Riding with a handful casual acquaintance is a crapshoot. Takes a lot of flexibility to pull this off. poncho

#8 ·
Gonna be hot in July in the Plains. And maybe tornadoes. But like Ponch said, can't worry 'bout that now. Just keep the frog togs handy.
If we're heading North and keeping off the super slab, I wouldn't be opposed to stretching the old legs for about a half hour to hour in historical Dodge City, Kansas if time permitted. Just a thought, not a requirement. I've heard even us slow readers can read the plaque in that amount of time. There are a lot of places I'd like to see in the mountains, so I'll wait and see where others want to steer towards and throw out an idea here and there. I'd like to see a lot of people make this invasion, whether for the whole ride or even just a day trip with us along the way.

#9 ·
what about meeting up In Oky City .... the cross roads of America ... up thru MO,KS, IA, SD, WY, CO, UT, AZ, NM across to TX. there is a lot to see, mountains, back roads and a ton of interesting stuff along the way .... for those who want to cut out at a certain point, the slab gives them a good direct way home.

#10 · (Edited)
the OKCorral is mos likely the best dead center place to launch this as many folks may be able to jus drop in, drink beer and bug out..

the circle you did draw is a big one that encompasses a lot of bread basket country (ie.flat boring) MO, KS, IA, much of Nb, SD, WY & CO. but it is big.

here is MY list of of places and routes I'd ride if was spending a week on the road. I try to ride as much back road as reasonable and do 300-500 day depending. With a group 300 day is gonna be tops.

Austin -OKC. 400 miles I-35(yuk)

OKC - Dodge City, Lamar Co. 300 miles. 281W -183N -50W.

Lamar - Carson, Breckinridge, Kremmling. 300 miles. 50W -9N

Kremmling - Flaming Gorge - Lyman Wy. 300 miles. 40W - 318W -1364W -44w -43N -414W.

Lyman Wy. - Blackfoot Id- Stanley Id. 426 miles. 412N -30N - I15N - 26W - 93W -75N

Stanley - Garden Valley- New Meadow - Grangerville - LoLo, Mt. 406 miles. 21W -55N -95N -13N - 12E

LoLo - Missoula - Glacier NP - Wateron NP 242 miles. 12E -93N -35N -486E -89N

Waterton NP - Gardiner, Mt. 400 miles. 89S

Gardiner - Red Lodge - Cody, Wy. 180 miles 212E beartooth, 296S Chief Joseph hiway

Cody - Sheridan.- 150 miles. 16E -14E

this route is headed east to S.Dakota.. needs tweaking.

Now ther be other routes and destinations worthy of riding.
Say turn south at Stanely Id. and ride 89S into Utah Canyon land. desert can be brutal in the summer! cut accross GC Az, SW NM. still leaves all of WesTex to complete the circle.

#13 ·
Me too ... I gotta take the other half and our foster girls to Cuba for a week in march break .... then I am free for the year.

#16 ·
Hey Ponch0, I found ya a new universal heads up display for next years round up!!!
coot'ies,, do ya think theyd rent me that Enfield.. and would it survive this expedition? mite havta rope tow it behind yor tractor sled..

I prefer to stik with my old skool method. Map it. Write it. Post it. then execute it.

OKC-(183)Dodge City Ks-(50)Alamosa-(160)Pagosa-Durango-Cortez-Monticello, UT 900 miles.

Mc,Ut-Blanding-NatBridgeNP-Hanksville-Torre-AnasaziSP-EscalanteSP-Tropic Ut 300 miles.

Tropic-(12)BryceNP-(63)RainbowPt-(12)Panquitch-(89)ZionNP-... 132 miles.

this is taking the Low Road thru the southern mtns into Utah canyons.

#17 ·
I clearly missed this thread... Is it too late to throw my hat in the ring?? I'd happily meet up with you miscreants in OKC over Julie For weekend... Anyone riding up from the south of our great state o' Texas, can pit stop here in Denton if desired as well... I'll try to be more active on the forums... Kinda had my head in another space of late.

t

#18 ·
[QUOTE I prefer to stik with my old skool method. Map it. Write it. Post it. then execute it.

Mc,Ut-Blanding-NatBridgeNP-Hanksville-Torre-AnasaziSP-EscalanteSP-Tropic Ut 300 miles.

Tropic-(12)BryceNP-(63)RainbowPt-(12)Panquitch-(89)ZionNP-... 132 miles.

this is taking the Low Road thru the southern mtns into Utah canyons.[/QUOTE]

Great route Poncho!

Attachments

#19 · (Edited)
57, you gott mos skin(distance-time) in this game. yor input will be valuable, or we mite even consider it?.
Oky City is 2 days riding for me( then again ... so is Dallas.) ... it might pay to see what most want to see ...
me ... Brice Canyon, Moab and ride down the 89 thru UT.... I have ridden 3 times to UT now and missed them all 3 times.

The rest, I'm open for ... regardless whether I have been there before or not.

My time off is not fixed by any date, I tell em, take off what I want, I just have to give them a little notice. The heat does not bother me, nor does the cold ... I just want a comfortable bed and a hot meal at the end of the day. I will be pulling my trailer, so I will have my trusty pillow and my coffee pot with me ... along with a cooler filled of "suitable" adult beverages.... I may be 57, but I am still an animal when it comes to riding.

#20 · (Edited)
Oky City is 2 days riding for me( then again ... so is Dallas.) ... it might pay to see what most want to see ...
me ... Brice Canyon, Moab and ride down the 89 thru UT.... I have ridden 3 times to UT now and missed them all 3 times. I may be 57, but I am still ananimal when it comes to riding.
amaniminal, OKC is current epi center. Zig wants to do Dodge city. Ct, is on a tear for Washington (state?).

we can head West into the Southern Colorado Rockies and ride thru UT canyonlands. The southern route I previously mapped are secondary and truciary roads. that is where the good stuff is. several times I have ridden Hiway 191 thru Moab is just another straight flat primary hiway(lots of traffic) and Moab is become a plastic tourist town. The canyons beyond are worth the visit and river rafting(yes!), but Moab is not different than Durango or any other we$tern town $old its $oul for the money.

hiway 89-89a is worth riding. I did the southern part November(40f) to Zion NP. I would go back in a heartbeat. Everbody asked if I was going to Bryce? it is THE place to goto, so they said. So I expect 89 north to be a kikass ride. till you get to I-70. then its just the Big Ditch and cities.

If UTAH were to be the HOOK in this Epic Adventure, then I would suggest riding 89 North to Circleville and hang a rite 62 East-North to Fishlake. Rite on 24 South-East to Capitol Reef NP. 24 east goes back thru Hanksville and dumps you back on I-70 east. pik up 191 South to Moab. Arches NP and Dead Horse SP are vicinity diversions. Junction Butte is a butte of a ride.

This would pretty much eat up a whole week of riding a circle around Utah. Each could depart where and when they needed to bail out, head home.

as for doing this CW or CCW is up for de'bait. chime in with comments. ponchout.

I will see if I can print and post a map w/routes. google maps dont work like it use to?

#21 ·
Fellas, I am digging this route so far. :D The Colorado Mtns are great riding. I also want to see the Utah Desert. I know Moab isn't much to look at, but Canyonlands National Park is a place i have wanted to visit for a very long time. I'll ride as far North as folks can handle in the time allotted. My Dad lives in Idaho so I will most likely peel off when everyone heads South and spend a few days. 7 months out and counting ;)

#22 ·
. My Dad lives in Idaho so I will most likely peel off when everyone heads South and spend a few days. 7 months out and counting ;)
kd, where in Idaho? We could look at the map and see at what point u mite exit this orbit. 89 north will take you there.
Depending upon each daze miles, we could have hotels lined up. By myself I just find them where ever I decide to stop, no real plans. But we do need to keep moving as mid week need to be turned around and headed back south-easterly.

I was looking at the map and think a better ride is from Cortez to 4 corners, will put us in better position to attack Utah. West across the GC to North rim pik up 89 north to Zion. Continue 89 north as erly post. You could keep heading north 89, we turn rite head east toward Moab poncho

#24 · (Edited)
IF,, perty laid bak town. Spent time ther 20yrs ago, daughter n I dodged lightning in the Tetons. Me n my crew put over ther backside of yellerstones 012 trip.

Ther a couple routes north that will get you ther. poncho

#27 · (Edited)
Ok so we circled Once around the police cruiser and 2wiced around downtown. we was headed into enchanted forest. Zig warned me to stay on paved roads only. no sense of adventure? or was it humor, I get them mixed up. poncho

#28 ·
I like to laugh! Feels good. Always take everything I say with humor, unless it's something like "RUN!" Or "DUCK!"
Of which usually are followed with laughter.

#29 ·
I like to laugh! it Feels good. Always take everything I say with humor, unless it's something like "RUN!" Or "DUCK!" Of which usually are followed with laughter.
Farts, now thats funny. they tickle too. and the faces peeples make wen you toot a tune.. its jus priceless. best is are the SBDs in closed places.. elevators just b4 you get off.
i was having dinner with the boys, they be 5yrs old. told em them califlour and brussel sprouts were ammo.. inquisitively they asked why? i told em it makes you fart.. boy'd they went to town on them vegetables..
later they told thier dad, he just grinned, but their moma was none too pleased.

#30 ·
This is a reason why i have my own motel room....

#31 · (Edited)
#33 ·
Thanks Co0ter! Put me on record for wishing everyone the same!

#34 ·
well it's here. 015. How are you Kawboys holding up re this trip?
I spose its 2 erly to start a countdown? We are probly gonna need commit to an actual launch date to get ETA on the calendar map?
Is Friday July 3 an executable date to launch this monster?
Or do we need to make it the week b4 with Sunday July 5th being the closeout day?
Post yor preferred and will see if ther is consensus.
btw, have a great new year, make it fun and keep it safe! poncho

#35 ·
I guess put me down for starting out on the third...reason, it's gonna be getting hot around here. I always try to make my trip to the high country an escape from the heat, even if only for a week or so. If we leave too early, we still have a long hot Summer when we get back.

I'm open to the other way, though. This trip is more about meeting up with the guys and having a good time, seeing some great country and riding some great roads. So if it's better for someone the other way, I'm okay with it.

Dang, having a good time, seeing some great country and riding some great roads....we're starting to sound like the Kawasaki version on "Wild Hogs" :eek:

#37 · (Edited)
"Wild Kawboys"

Dang, having a good time, seeing some great country and riding some great roads....we're starting to sound like the Kawasaki version on "Wild Hogs" :eek:
and you say that like it was a bad thing? And dont be gettin no ideas about skinny dippin in some roadside water hole.. nobody wants to see that:eek: an 'sides yor antix are likely to be on the innernet b4 sundown..

So, until this all goes South.. lets just go with Friday July 3 as the oh'fishal Launch of this "Wild Kawboys" westerly Invasion..
If mos us launch outa where ever, we can ETA at OKC the evenin of the 3rd?

OKC is 'bout halfway from Ne. Co0tErs is you able to ride hard Neb to OKC meet up friday eve?

if we get a jump on this pup. we can tool thru Dodge City Sat. make it to Lamar Co by nitefall.

Sun 5th, ride West Co either Alamosa, Pagosa Springs, Durango, Cortez
or Pueblo, Gunnison, Montrose, Durango, Cortez?

Mon 6th, head SW to 4 corners, then head into S Utah canyons, Kanab?

Tue 7th, ride N 89 to Bryce Canyon, Capitol Reef over to Hanksville?

Wed 8th, ride N 24 (Kdawg mite continue N 191 to Idy'ho) the rest this herd can head east to 191 S to Moab.

Thur 9th, ride some back canyons Arches or Dead Horse, head SE to Cortez

Friday 10th, some of us need be heading back to Texas.. thru NM. S 491 thru Gallup S 602, 36, 601, 32 thru Gila NF w 12 s 180 to Silver City NM.

Sat 11th, N. 15 to Gila NM then S 35 to E 152 at

Sun 12th, E I-10(yuk) to the house.

this is just a sample proposal. Post your itenery and we can see if they merge. Anybody can jump in our out where they need to. poncho

#36 ·
I don't care what date is on the table ..... name the place , name the day and I will be there.

Happy holidays guys .... may you all be safe.

#38 · (Edited)
WiLd kAwb0ys....

This is startn to get comical! We DAMN sure don't want ZIG skinny dippin!

http://mapq.st/1vyV956

Like the route Ponch0!

If Lamar Co. stays as one of your stops on the way up throughout the "planning" phases then Darrel and I will prly just meet up with you guys there that evening on the 4th. Lamar is only 4 hours from his place, 5.5 hrs from mine, save us from back trackin from OKC.

Wasn't sure what Whitings route would be heading south out of Canada, but more then welcome to stay here the 3rd and ride to Lamar the 4th with Darrel and I .... Whatever works for everyone else is fine by me. We just sitn back waiting for the time to get here and let you all nail down the route that works best for everyone, we can roll in wherever

Attachments

#42 ·
If Lamar Co. stays as one of your stops on the way up throughout the "planning" phases then Darrel and I will prly just meet up with you guys there that evening on the 4th. Lamar is only 4 hours from his place, 5.5 hrs from mine, save us from back trackin from OKC. let you all nail down the route that works best for everyone, we can roll in wherever
Proposal.. since OKC was chosen as half way Tx-Nb,, the northern army is merging further westerly..

What if we moved our day 1 meet up location to Dodge City Ks? it's not too far from for me, 600 miles is a day ride. We could meet up at a chosen hotel, get settled and still have time go shoot up the town Friday nite July 3.
Sat morn we could post bail and ride outa town b4 the sheriff knowd we was gone.

c0oTs n Bo0ts mite hafta give up a day of huskin corn and meet up Friday nite?

That gives us a jump on this invasion a whole day and sets us up for a bigger ride which I will propose next.
Lemme kno wacha think, cuz am fixen to put a spin on this trip.. poncho

#39 ·
Don't see why everyone is scared of me being nekkid.....I think I'm pretty when I'm nekkid!
And I use to be a fair swimmer!
Last time I drank too much there were rumors of a nekkid cowboy riding around camp. My wife put me on a strict 2 beer per night limit and I'm not allowed to hang out with those guys again "until I grow up and show more signs of maturity."
I'm glad I found you guys to hang around with until then! :good:

#41 · (Edited)
Don't see why everyone is scared of me being nekkid.....I think I'm pretty when I'm nekkid! And I use to be a fair swimmer!
Last time I drank too much there were rumors of a nekkid cowboy riding around camp. My wife put me on a strict 2 beer per night limit and I'm not allowed to hang out with those guys again "until I grow up and show more signs of maturity." I'm glad I found you guys to hang around with until then! :good:
ziggs, yes nekid, you are very pretty.. pretty dam skeary! ever consider why mrs zig Gasp n shudders wen xposed to such? An no it's not that she be impressed with the view. poor woman's heart mus be redy to quit any moment.
as for c0oTs holdin title,, give it time. you need yor moment to arrive, contend for most notable event and yor picture to get print front page in local newspaper.

an the swimmin coach didn't say you was Fair swimmer, said you was Fear'd swimmer to drown as you swim like a brik.

#40 ·
I haven't messed up as much as that guy has Co0ter!.......yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.