Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last summer I had an idea of how to get better performance out of the V&H 2-1 exhaust on my Vaq. I fabricated a reverse-cone out of sheet metal that I clamped onto the end of the megaphone. I experimented with 2 different outlet diameters and the result was a gain in power and torque thru the entire powerband.
I was very happy, but this was deffinately a primitive fabrication and certainly did not look nice, but the darn thing worked. It also gave the skoot a one-of-a-kind sound that was very mellow in cruise mode yet had a nice bark when I twisted the throttle. One nice thing is it is not loud at all, as compared to the Harleys I hear. But again it just did not fit the looks of the skoot...

Couple months ago I went down to Miami to our metal surplus place and bought a 7" long piece of 5" diameter aluminum bar stock with the intentions on carving out a nice machined from billet end cap. Something that would fit the looks of the skoot. Now although I have been a machinist since the late 70's I don't have very elegant equiptment. An old Bridgeport mill and a small lathe that suits most of what we do here.

Here is the remainder of the chunk I bought after cutting off a 2 1/2" piece...

And the piece after drilling a pilot hole...

Starting the machining process on the rotary table...

And the mounting flange with the finished diameter and depth...

The end cap mounted on the end of the megaphone. Think it's a bit to restrictive?...

Side view...

MORE TO COME...

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is the piece with that unneeded center nose machined out...

This is gonna be the outlet end of the piece with the 2.5" outlet...

And now starting the process of removing excess material from the inside...

The finished main angle...

I decided to add a steeper angle at the very end...

Starting the machining process of removing the extra material on the end with the outside diameter machined to size...

Now here is where I screwed up and negected to document some stages. Due to my small lathe I had to cut multiple angles on the end and while the piece was spinning in the lathe I used a file to smooth out the edges where the angles met, creating a rounded affect. I then used 80 grit sandpaper to achieve a uniform finsh, ending with 320 grit.

Here are the original sheet metal end cap next to the almost finished cap...

Again...MORE TO COME...

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I did not want a plain look to the exterior so I marked the piece every 60 degrees on the side and mounted it in my vise on the mill. I deviated from my original idea of machining plain ole slots in the sides to wanting to have a "fluted" affect. So I used a 1/4" thick piece of metal under one side of the end cap and machined the slots on the opposite side, creating a "teardrop" affect...

And the finished end cap...

Here is a pic from doing a test fit before I fluted the sides...

Me thinks it looks nicer than that sheet metal piece. It made a bit more power on the dyno than the sheet metal piece and with my riding I did yesterday actually has a deeper and nicer tone. The engine is a tiny bit more responsive with a bit better mpg. Nice fringe benefits for just wanting a nicer looking piece. With my very limited equiptment it took just about 2 days to finish this project.
I dropped it off at the chrome platers today, so hopefully will have it early next week.

I am already missing it!! :(

I'll post pics when it's back from the platers.
Hope u'all enjoythis thread!!

RACNRAY

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
Wow, Fantastic Job there Ray, it looks great and know it will even look beter once chromed. Know you like the extra kick it give your bike, too.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
That does look good. So is that exhaust system all the way from the heads? No cats?

Is there a two into one into two full system out there for our bikes? Wondering what I will replace mine with when they rust through from wrapping them.

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That does look good. So is that exhaust system all the way from the heads? No cats?

Is there a two into one into two full system out there for our bikes? Wondering what I will replace mine with when they rust through from wrapping them.
That is V&H's full system called the Pro Pipe that fits the Voyager/Vaquero/Nomad models. No cats.

The tubing used in our stock exhaust systems are stainless steel. Your pipes will never rust out. I even had the mild steel Yosh system wrapped on my ole ZX11 for many years with no rust at all.

I have been wrapping exhaust systems since 1988, prolly wrapped a few hundred systems and never had rust or corrosion issues. It's an old wives tail!

RACNRAY

·
Registered
15 Posts
This attention to detail, is the reason I brang my bike to you for service, tire mount, throttle mod,etc,etc,etc. Keep up the good work Ray and Mark you guys are a great value to the motorcycle community. Frank (Ft Worth).

·
Registered
320 Posts
Must admit looks pretty good but man thats a lot of work.But now that you have gone to that extent ,why don,t you polish it up like chrome.Not hard to do.Sand it out to 2000grit and use some compound to finish it.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Wow Ray that looks great! Looking forward to pics when it comes back from the chromers.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hey RACNRAY . . . Here's a Question . .

My question is . . .

I love the Pro Pipe or any 2 into 1 for that matter. What is so different about the Vaq /Nomad / Voyager group and the Classic that this pipe will not go on my Classic?? Is it just a bracket . . .What the heck is it that will not allow this pipe to fit on my CLassic!?

Your help and knowledge is genuinely appreciated!

Karatemoto!

That is V&H's full system called the Pro Pipe that fits the Voyager/Vaquero/Nomad models. No cats.

The tubing used in our stock exhaust systems are stainless steel. Your pipes will never rust out. I even had the mild steel Yosh system wrapped on my ole ZX11 for many years with no rust at all.

I have been wrapping exhaust systems since 1988, prolly wrapped a few hundred systems and never had rust or corrosion issues. It's an old wives tail!

RACNRAY

·
Registered
70 Posts
KarateMoto,

Vance and Hines show the following info for the 1700 Classic

Price: $599.95
Fits: 2009-2011 VULCAN 1700
VH Product ID : 25311*

·
Registered
701 Posts
My question is . . .

I love the Pro Pipe or any 2 into 1 for that matter. What is so different about the Vaq /Nomad / Voyager group and the Classic that this pipe will not go on my Classic?? Is it just a bracket . . .What the heck is it that will not allow this pipe to fit on my CLassic!?

Karatemoto!
Karatemoto I believe it is the bracket. The classic does not have hard bags like the vaquero/nomad/voyager. There is nothing to support the exhaust since the classic exhaust is on one side. Now that doesn't mean you can't rig something to make it work.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hey! Great Find! . . I Certain . . .

I'm certain that that was either not visible a few months ago . . or I'm blind! Gotta be one of them there explanations!

Hmmmm . . . maybe exhaust this year . . .

KarateMoto,

Vance and Hines show the following info for the 1700 Classic

Price: $599.95
Fits: 2009-2011 VULCAN 1700
VH Product ID : 25311*

·
Registered
191 Posts
I'd also be interested in true duals . . .

That's very true . . .and on that note, there is something about a pretty set of duals as well . . plus a great exhaust note. I have never seen a Nomad, for example without it's bags on but I'm guessing the bracketry is not pretty under there. If a guy retrofitted a set of Nomad pipes he could clean up the brackets and have them chromed, then go to a slip on or something. I don't know just spit balling . . just can't leave well enough alone. . .

Karatemoto I believe it is the bracket. The classic does not have hard bags like the vaquero/nomad/voyager. There is nothing to support the exhaust since the classic exhaust is on one side. Now that doesn't mean you can't rig something to make it work.

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This attention to detail, is the reason I brang my bike to you for service, tire mount, throttle mod,etc,etc,etc. Keep up the good work Ray and Mark you guys are a great value to the motorcycle community. Frank (Ft Worth).
THANK YOU FRANK and to all for the compliments:)

Must admit looks pretty good but man thats a lot of work.But now that you have gone to that extent ,why don,t you polish it up like chrome.Not hard to do.Sand it out to 2000grit and use some compound to finish it.
I'm doin one better, I dropped it off yesterday to have it chrome plated. I am not a re-polishing kinda guy!

My question is . . .

Karatemoto!
V&H does make the Pro Pipe for the Classic. The Voyager/Vaquero/Nomad all have the same mounting points for the mufflers, so thus uses the same pipe. The Classic is different so has a different part #, which is 25311.

RACNRAY

·
Registered
2,656 Posts

RACNRAY
Thanks Ray. I guess I am stuck with my stock exhaust on this bike then. I've never been able to bring myself to replace something that is working. The exhaust sounds awesome and get better the more miles I run through it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Ray, incredible job. Looks like it turned out great even without the chrome but I'm sure it will even better chromed.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Great job Ray! It's really amazing that by adding something to the end of a pipe to disturb the flow of the exhaust it will increase power and torque. I had a set of cobra true duals on my 2006 Nomad that decreased my low end torque. I ran a 3/16 bolt through the end of each pipe and picked back up the torque. They sounded awesome too. Your workmanship is MUCH better than mine!

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Back from the platers...

Picked up the end cap today...YIPPEE!!!

Now remember the before image with the original sheet metal end cap...

The satin finished end cap...

And the plated end cap installed...

Having it plated allows it to blend in better. Another b/day present I gave us was a stainless steel braided rear brake line, which makes the rear brake sooooo much better! The Vaq now wears s/s brake and clutch libnes all the way around.

RACNRAY

1 - 20 of 27 Posts