Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not much of a speed demon. I am on the bike for the ride, not how fast I can get there but the trucks reaction just pisses me off. Consider this the monthly public service reminder. "We share the road with idiots. Ride safe."

Video: Pickup driver tries to run motorcyclist off the road

·
Registered
218 Posts
True, what the truck did was horrible.

If I saw correctly, the bike also passed on a double-yellow.

If that's the case, I think they're both morons, and the guy on the bike gives law-abiding riders a bad rep. My opinion is to enjoy the twisties within the limits of the law, or take it to the track.

-Hex

·
Registered
364 Posts
Local redneck driver gets cheezed off with lawless bikers tearing up his country roads.. I'm surprised no one was shot in the crazy world you call America.

Just relax and stay safe out there

·
Registered
76 Posts
I no the biker was breaking the traffic laws but that doesn't give the truck driver the right to kill him.He dosen't own those roads,He should be lock up.I ride those roads but i take my time in enjoy the ride

·
Registered
121 Posts
The driver in the pick up is a control freak. There are many others like him out there. The end of this situation could have been very nasty.

·
Registered
696 Posts
The kids running the crotch rockets and playing speed racer on the public roads are a serious perennial problem here, and probably anywhere in the country or even the world, for that matter. That behavior is flat out dangerous, to themselves and, to a much lesser degree, the motoring public at large.

But, having said that I also have to admit that I have done some stupid things, at 60 years of age and on my overladen cruiser that hardly outruns the local school bus. So, as a side note, I think that one of the problems is the general lack of track facilities for the speed racer types to exhaust their aggression and have their play time in a safe manner. That is not meant to excuse bad behavior on public roads.

I've never owned a crotch rocket, but I tend to believe that there is a culture with that class of bike, that encourages that kind of behavior. I recently participated in a Kawasaki Ticket to Ride demo event, where I rode several new bikes, including a Ninja 1000. The rides are conducted with 2 Kawi "chaperons", one leading the groups of riders for ~20 minute rides. I first rode a Nomad, and then a Voyager. The leading chaperons of those groups, rode in typical cruiser riding style. The leading chaperon for the sport group was completely different and we certainly put the bikes through their paces a couple of times, even though the roads were fairly congested. All of the demo riders that I talked to, were pleased with that ride. Kawasaki knows what their clients want from those bikes.

Getting back to the original story, even though the rider broke a traffic law or 2, that in no way excuses or rises anywhere near the level of stupidity displayed by the truck driver. I can't imagine why anyone would react that way. That fellow is an extreme danger to society and should be locked up. Road Rage? I don't think so. I think the guy is just a ticking time bomb. The rider was extremely lucky to have escaped unscathed, especially with the tree being so close to the left side of the road. :mad:

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I'm in no way justifying the actions taken by the driver in the pickup, but...

1) Stupidity breeds stupidity. Apparently, passing in a no passing zone at speeds above the speed limit is what it took to set this guy off. On two wheels, you are a much easier target for road rage than someone in a much larger vehicle. Guess they're lucky he didn't have a firearm and/or choose to use it.

2) Kudos for the biker in front for staying alert and taking off to get well ahead of this idiot, who could have killed any number of bikers or cagers coming from the opposite direction. Apparently he, and the guy on the chase bike, have some skill, but they should take it somewhere legal to enjoy it. I noticed several crossroads and/or populated areas along that route, so more lives were in danger than just the 3 in the quick-flick. Make a safe distance and pull over sooner.

3) If the LEOs ever *do* respond, all 3 should be cited, with the guy in the truck being charged with vehicular assault and/or attempted homicide.

4) I was surprised the bikers didn't thrash the fella, but he did have something menacing in his hand.

5) Re-emphasizing: ride safe from day to day, and live to ride another day. :D

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Yes, passing across a double yellow is dangerous and foolish, since they're typically zoned through blind corners, hills, and areas with a lot of cross traffic. Southern Idaho apparently has very similar topography to Kentucky (which is none). I'll admit I've passed over a double yellow in my cars and on my bike. Around here you can frequently find yourself behind a slow-moving farm truck (or a redneck with his pickup loaded down) and you'll know there's 10 miles of no passing ahead of you. Here's the breakdown tho:

Passing over the double yellow was illegal, and would warrant a citation. $60 dollar ticket here. Yeah, it was dumb, dangerous, and against the law, but no more so than speeding...of which I imagine most of us have been guilty.

Attempting to run the rider off the road, well that would be reckless endangerment at a minimum, which is a felony. If the rider had gone off, definitely vehicular assault. If he had died, vehicular manslaughter, maybe murder since it was obviously intentional.

We're all allowed to get frustrated when we see someone breaking the law. We're allowed to be annoyed when someone drives or rides like a douche. We're allowed to get indignant because we believe this guy makes the rest of us riders look bad. But absolutely NO ONE has the right to threaten someone's life or health because that someone committed a minor moving violation. That would be like shooting at someone for jaywalking, or tossing molotov cocktails at people who don't signal (that's my pet peeve). And that jackass in the pickup was driving far more dangerously than the rider was: covering both lanes, weaving, clearly speeding as much as he could with that 4-wheeler in the back. I hope the bikers remember they have the right to press charges, they don't have to wait around for the cops to respond. They just need to file a report...then the police will HAVE to investigate. And yes, I agree the biker should probably be popped for the moving violation, so he can go pay his ticket while the redneck does 30-90 in county lock-up.

The rider might give motorcyclists (at least the crotchrocket guys) a bad rap, but the hillbilly in the pickup gives HUMANS a bad rap.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
The rider might give motorcyclists (at least the crotchrocket guys) a bad rap, but the hillbilly in the pickup gives HUMANS a bad rap.
*cheers go here*

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
This took place about 50 miles from where I live, have traveled this road many times.
Good news, driver was arrested;

The kid has been arrested that was driving the truck. As it turns out he did not even live within 40 miles of where the incident occurred.

BROOKSVILLE -- A Pendleton County man has turned himself in to authorities following issuance of an arrest warrant for a May incident on Kentucky 22 in Bracken County.
On June 9, Gary L. Hudson Jr., 22, notified Bracken County Sheriff Howard Niemeier he would be turning himself in when he returned to the state; he did so at about 4 p.m., June 10, police said.
According to Niemeier, Hudson lives in Falmouth, but traveled from Fort Bragg, N.C., to surrender.
According to officials, Hudson is considered "past military" having completed his reservist obligations in April; he was moving from Fort Bragg, police said.
On May 22, Hudson was allegedly involved in an incident involving two motorcycles which were traveling on Kentucky 22 at the same time as Hudson was driving a truck.
Hudson was videotaped swerving across the center line at one cyclist as he attempted to pass the truck Hudson was driving. The action appeared to be deliberate to the motorcyclists who followed the truck to an intersection where a confrontation included calls to police to report the incident.
Hudson has been charged with two counts of wanton endangerment and was taken to Mason County Detention Center.
He was released from MCDC Friday.

This just made news, even though it is 2 weeks old

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
I've never owned a crotch rocket, but I tend to believe that there is a culture with that class of bike, that encourages that kind of behavior.
Of course there is. Does anyone seriously believe people buy motorcycles capable of that level of performance to idle around town or up and down a straight stretch of road?

There is nothing quite like twisting the throttle on a machine that can take you from 0-60 in just a couple seconds, in first gear.

Do I condone the behavior? No, of course not. Am I guilty? Yes, of some anyway and probably of some hypocrisy. I'm not a wheelie rider nor do I speed through traffic weaving in and out nor race around town. But...I've gone fast, very fast on my crotch rocket and in my country drives when there is no traffic present I often, but not always, take the curves/corners much faster than posted speed.

Honestly, I probably feel about the same level of control on my crotch rocket at probably twice any speed as I do on my VN2K. Not a bash on the VN2K, it's a great bike, just not designed and built for the same thing.

What I find interesting is that people put open/free-flowing pipes, bigger air filters, fuel processors, etc. on their cruisers but bash rocket drivers. Not saying and hopefully not implying that's you, but I'm sure all those mods are just so the bike idles around town better. ;)

As the saying goes, "Absolute power corrupts, absolutely." 120-200 horsepower in a 400-500lb chassis is an invitation waiting for a response.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I know this isn't the freshest thread on the forum, but I would like to agree with what everyone has just said.

You could call me an internet junkie, if you'd like, and I wouldn't be offended. Because of that, I like to sprinkle motorcycle-related tidbits all over the place for the world to see, and I can guarantee you that this is one of the ones that will get seen.

Maybe if we raise awareness enough, people will actually start LOOKING for riders? Or maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part.:(

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
Led a small group across that road on Sunday, the police presence has totally disappeared. For a few weeks after the incident they patrolled it heavily, now nothing again.

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
Well, I'm glad to hear that he turned himself in, hopefully he will get enough time or money to make him think about it for the future.

Could have been a bad scene all the way around.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts