Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I recently escaped all of the bad storms in February (we live in Maine) when we took a vacation to New Zealand. We were part of a group of friends traveling throughout the north and south island.

My personal goal was to find a bike to rent and see what the roads were like.

If you ever find yourself in Queenstown, NZ, take the Glenorchy Queenstown Road to the town of Glenorchy (they have simple names for roads out there, and no highways). This scenic route along Lake Wakatipu was one of the best scenic roads I have ever ridden (though I still have a lot of riding left to do!).

Your single lane road rides along the lake the entire 30 miles of lake. With stopping it takes you about an hour, since the speed limits are a little slower (they're all slow in NZ) and the turns are tight and fun. Be wary of the oncoming lane and your lane merging in to one around tight corners...hold your breathe and go!

A little weird riding on the left hand side of the road, you get used to it after 20 minutes or so.

Another great ride we took was east along their Motor Highway 6 to Cromwell, then up to Wanaka. You get beautiful views of Mount Cook (tallest Mountain in NZ, half the elevation of Everest) and the beautiful lakes abutting them. Another 40 miles from Queenstown and just over an hour and fifteen minutes to get there taking your time and stopping to take pictures of the scenery.

Sadly I could not find a cruiser to rent, as it is very busy that time of year (Chinese new year combined with the middle of their summer/busy season). I rented a Suzuki V-Strom 1000cc which rode pretty well and comfortable for an "adventure bike".

It was a nice break and breather from all the snow we have been getting back home. Hopefully some of this will start to melt away and I can bust out my 1500cc classic!

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
heb, great write up. I may be there next xmas. plan to do a week each both islands. maybe some hiking down south. would be good to ride a bike, but my travel partner, she doesn't ride. and I dont do 2 up. so guess hafta save it for some solo run, later. poncho

1 - 2 of 2 Posts