Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Two Old Dogs

4K views 25 replies 10 participants last post by  Tazlives2ride 
#1 ·
Yesterday I went to AJ Foyt on I-45 in Houston to order a luggage rack for my bike. While I was there I met two guys, both of whom were over 60 years old, from Venezuela.

Seems they took a flight to Miami where they each bought a new BMW R800 with all the gadgets, bells and whistles, new riding clothes and helmets, Bags, Luggage, etc. and set out for Alaska. After Alaska they were going to New York, then back to Miami where they would sell the bikes and all the gear and catch a plane back to Venezuela.

Now that's a trip to remember.

#2 ·
Wow, that is a cool idea for a trip. Did they say how long they expected to be on the road?

I can't help but wonder why they don't ride them back home, though. Maybe it's not safe riding a bike through Mexico, Nicaragua, and Columbia?

#3 ·
the song goes like this "They'r coming to America...to Day!"

Wow, that is a cool idea for a trip. Did they say how long they expected to be on the road? I can't help but wonder why they don't ride them back home, though. Maybe it's not safe riding a bike through Mexico, Nicaragua, and Columbia?
where else can you ride a whole continent coast to coast, North and South w/o fear of... you fill in the blanks. Freedom. it isn't free. No place else on earth is it more abundant. Yes, everybody wants to come here. can you blame them? out, ponch

#4 ·
I heard mention of three months travel time. From the looks of the two Old Dogs I might venture a guess they will not make the round trip. Both looked as though they had been rode hard and put away wet. The older of the two gentlemen groaned worse than I do when he got off his bike. Thought I was gonna have to catch him there for a minute.

I'd give then about another ten days and both them beemers will be up for sale, cheap. At least that's how they looked to me.

#9 ·
now we have a president and an administration,running down arrizona for enforcing lws the federal gov wont,and they rote them,uninted states huh...O bow ma runs down amarica with every dictator he meets.i hope arrizona does not back down.stop seeling power to L.A.

#12 · (Edited)
My ancestors of my mom and dad immigrated here too. Legally. And they learned to speak English. So if you are not here legally, or if you can't speak the language, get out. Statue of Liberty welcomes folks from other countries as long as they go through our legal channels to become citizens. Otherwise, she says to go home.

The President has to walk a fine line on this issue. So did tha last president. Problem is we don't have a secure southern border, and the bigger issue is within our control: drug use by Americans. Were it not for the demand here, we would not have all the drug problems coming from Mexico. But no one here wants to deal with the demand, they just want to do the conservative/republican thing, and pour billions into the "war on drugs", which is a complete waste of tax money.

#15 ·
when riding, the last leg home is the hardest

I'd give then about another ten days and both them beemers will be up for sale, cheap. At least that's how they looked to me.

I think they made it to Houston and were on their last leg. somebody was taking bets they wouldn't make it full circle. heck, if they made it to the left coast, they might have just holed up somewhere's and taken immigration status.? can't say that I'd blame em. out, ponch

#14 ·
I'm sorry I even posted this thread. It was hijacked from post #5 all the way to the end and turned into something ugly and dark.

I was commenting on the two older gentlemen riding all around this country on two new BMW bikes. If you guys want to piss and moan about immigrants then start your own thread and leave mine alone.

#17 ·
visitors eventualy go home. immigrants dont. but thats not what this thread is about. its about che and his buddy on an old norton 650 thumper, what did they call it "the might one"?

#19 ·
I respect anyone who can belong to the IBA but I see no use whatsoever in subjecting my body to that kind of punishment or abuse.

These two guys looked worse than I have seen anyone look in years. It was like they both were really glad to be off the bikes at the motorcycle shop.

#20 ·
These two guys looked worse than I have seen anyone look in years. It was like they both were really glad to be off the bikes at the motorcycle shop.
LOL, i know the feeling too. It does make me wonder though if they had ever been on a long trip before. They certainly had taken on an arduous challenge. That's a long trip even in a car.

#22 ·
From appearances these two guys looked like the type who has more money than brains and on a whim decided to make an around the country motorcycle trip without ever knowing what it really involved or how difficult it actually is.

Some people say that wisdom comes with age but also does second childhood and stupidity(in some cases). I prefer to test my capabilities in a slower more thought out process than to just jump straight off the cliff.

#25 ·
I have a trip to Kentucky coming up in a few days to see my kids and grandkids and I have to agree with the man Ponch quoted. I will not make the trip all in one day, rather, I will drive until I get tired and then find a nice soft bed in a motel somewhere and a nice meal. I have also discovered that I don't need a trailer like I thought I did. One suitcase is plenty for me to go as long as I want.

The Hurry Up fire in my belly has burned down somewhat so I like to take life and travel a bit easier so I can not only smell the roses, I can see them as I ride past.

There is too much beautiful country out there to scurry past in a blaze of speed just to say I made X number of miles today. Besides, who cares if I make 300 or 500 miles in a day? I don't.

#26 ·
Great point........I am the same.....My days of putting on as many miles as possible r long gone....I go my own pace, own speed......stop when i want, enjoy the scenery and the sights...Take some pics.....Now i enjoy every trip and adventure.....I am in no hurry 2 b anywhere.....I go at my pace and that is it......I have learned 2 enjoy life......Took many years 2 learn this....Ride safe.......:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.