Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just tried to take my bike out for the first time this season but it won't start. This was the first winter I've had a bike so I started by emptying the gas from the tank and carbs, then filling the tank with fresh gas. When I first tried to start it, it made the sound like it wanted to start, and also clicked, but never started. Then I put it on prime and it started to overflow gas onto the ground. I tried it again. Same two sounds.

I then let it wait for about 30 min to see if it was flooded. Now it clicks more than it revs but will still rev a little, but won't start.

Any advice??

Thanks!
-Sultan

·
Registered
698 Posts
What did you do with the battery over the winter?
I'm guessing you're in a cold area and had to not ride all winter - right?
And how old is the battery?

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Overflowing the carbs is a bad sign. Sounds like the carb rack is going to need to come off. You can try tapping (gently) the carbs on each side with a soft faced hammer to get the float needles to seat a bit better, but no guarantees.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Overflowing the carbs is a bad sign. Sounds like the carb rack is going to need to come off. You can try tapping (gently) the carbs on each side with a soft faced hammer to get the float needles to seat a bit better, but no guarantees.
There was gas in the wells where the spark plugs were so I'm drying all that out now. My oil level is also way high so I'm wondering if I got gas in there. I'm draining and replacing the oil today. :-(

If it does end up being a carb issue, what can I do about it after I take them off?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
How did gas get into the spark plug wells?

If you're up for it, the carbs aren't that hard to work on. Just take lots of pictures as you go. You can also refer to the factory parts diagrams if you get confused during reassembly. IMO, the hardest part is just getting them off and on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts