Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see a lot more people reading post and not writing them. So read this:......When I take a turn on my Vn750. The steering turns on it's own more than I wanted it to go. So I find my self having to turn the steering to the left while making a right hand turn and visa/versa.:( Tell me, shocks, joints, bushing, lube job, steering yoke, bent frame, true the wheel, true the steering, alignment gone wild or is it just plain the nature of this beast.
Any and all comments are surely welcomed. A treat will go to the one with the right answer that corrects my VN750 problem.:D

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
you are not describing this "problem" well.

I agree with Red... sounds like you might benefit from MSF...
And I agree it sounds like counter steering.

Almost all turns above a certain speed begin with a slight move in the counter-intuitive direction on the handlebars....in essence:a slight push outward on the left handgrip will cause the bike to go left instead of right...and vice versa.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll try again Vn750 steering?

When steering to the left. It pulls to the left farther than I want. I've had a KZ650 in 1980 and it had a very neutral feeling when turning either left or right.
This is a situation with the Bike not the rider. I am aware of counter-steering. I can assure you, this is not the case. At speeds of 5-10 MPH the steering pulls very hard in either direction with force when turning. It feels like a car where the alignment is off. If I did not hold it back from going further than I want, the bike would surely dump it's self.
Thanks for the input. I never rule out anything, even the rider. There is always other riders with more exp. then me. And I'm a good listener.

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
From what your saying it I would suggest getting someone who knows bikes to check it out for you. When you visually inspect the bike does anything look bent? How does the tires look? Have you checked to see if the rear wheel is running true?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Red Rider

Hi Red Rider; Nothing seems to be bent. The front fork and wheel look good! I'm not sure how to check to see if the rear wheel is true. I was hoping someone here would be familiar with this problem before taking it to a repair shop. They can be expensive. This forum is not the only peps to say it's the RIDER (no pun intended). At 5 to 10 MPH trying to go in a circle is an uneasy feeling at best.
The Kawasaki place wants around $135.00 to $175.00 to give it a check up, front to rear and rear to front. Wide turns are OK but sharp turns and u-turns and circles are where the steering waffles.
Thanks
Ray
[email protected]

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
Every 454, 500, and 750 I have ever rode or seen turns really tight with very little input at very low crawl speeds. A friend bought one and within the first 50 miles he was complaining to the dealer. After looking at the rake/trail combo it can be understood why it does this. Have you ever rode a crotch rocket? They are really notorious for this because of the steep angle of the forks.

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
Seeing your not a new rider I doubt it's you. If you have friends with riding experience have them ride it and see what they think about the handling. different bikes handle differently so maybe it is the nature of the bike.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Ray, you might want to go to a dealer and try riding another Vn750 to compare the differences. Then maybe they would give you some input to what might be going on with your bike if there is that much difference. Just my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
254 Posts
The one thing you did not mention having checked was tire pressure. If you have a very low tire pressure, it can make big league differences in the way the bike corners and feels. Just thinking of other alternatives. Tom

·
Registered
209 Posts
Not sure if this will help, but I have an 09 900 Vulcan Custom and at low speed it exhibits a sort of trait similar to what you are indicating, or at least what I take to be the case, low speed (under 15 mph) turns such as in a neighborhood turning right from a stop sign (at a 90 degree corner).

My bike is low mileage, and new, as has always been this way. In fact while on the side stand, if you turn the handlebars straight and just nudge them to the low side a bit, they very strongly turn to the side. This seems to be strictly a function of the rake and trail used in the design.

Another way to say this is that the low speed (very low) is not tack sharp like my other bike, but I love the ride it gives never the less!

Probably not any help, but I tried.:)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
She is a 750 beast of a girl

WOW Shilo, now that is interesting. It could well indeed be the nature of the beast. You are right, this bike is sweet to ride. Sounds great too. She does like to look at her self when she passes a large window:D
Thanks
Ray
[email protected]

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Me and my gal

Hi Bob, I'm being to believe that you may be right. At faster speeds it's not a concern. I will have to learn her special needs. I know how girls can be. Especially the 750's. I will learn all her dirty little secrets. Her likes and dislikes. Her wants and needs. And when I do, all will be right with the world.:p
Thanks
Ray
[email protected]

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My 750 is full of hot air.

Hi peruano, I check the air. It was off but not by much. I've corrected it and have seen an improvement. I guess all the little things add up. Maybe I should use a gas lighter that air. Wait a minute, that sound a bit like that star trek mumbo jumbo. Maybe this is her way of telling me what she needs. I'll just have to learn to be a better listener.
Thanks
Ray
[email protected]

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Captain's log

Captain's log, Supplemental. Received many inputs from 12 near by Vulcan owners. Saved a few hundred dollars thanks to valuable info. gather here. My thanks to all. New Vn750 owner out.
Ray
[email protected]

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
How fast is fast when taken a turn (90 degrees) left or right on a Vulcan 750. I have my own speed and yes I am picking your brains. This is one hell of a bike and can not see my self getting rid of her. As old as she is (93') she runs like a virgin. Dare I say and my admit I did, for one brief second, consider a Yamaha. For me, the Yamaha had was to much guts, (at least more than I did). when I turn the throttle as much a I did and the front wheels left the ground, that was it. I walked away. Now doing the same thing to the VN750 the wheel did not leave the ground and shot straight as an arrow. All I did was hold on for dear life and yes, it did take a few minutes to wipe the smile off my face. Some say it was love at first site. Me I just call it lust and greed (she is MINE, MINE, MINE). The rains have stopped here in Pasadena for the time being. Saturday looks like a great day for cruising. I want some of you to pray for me as I have seen a outrageous looking chick on a bike. Just think about that blond in her white convertible (mustang or Corvette) in the movie American Graffiti. Do worry I've only seen her out of the corner of my eye two times in seven years. I've told my wife, but she thinks I'm making it up. Is their a patron Saint for motorcycles.

P.S. My wife is also upset as our combine weight exceeds the limits of the bikes frame. Yes, I'm that big with an even bigger heart. Have a happy Valentines Day and if I see a VN750 cruising the roads, I'll know it's one of you.
Thanks
Ray
[email protected]

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
Just think about that blond in her white convertible (mustang or Corvette) in the movie American Graffiti. Do worry I've only seen her out of the corner of my eye two times in seven years. I've told my wife, but she thinks I'm making it up. Is their a patron Saint for motorcycles.

Ray
[email protected]
55Tbird w opera window hardtop.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Don't know my cars

Thanks, Now I feel bad. Not a corvette! Not a Mustang! It is said by pips in here that it was indeed a T-Bird. OK, now start naming the famous people. Please don't cheat. We here at VN750 do have our integrity and Righteous Rebellious Rides to uphold.......remember...............

"The Adventures of Kawasaki VN750!"
Faster than a speeding Hog, Honda, Yamaha or Suzuki of the same weight and class.

More powerful than most any 750 motorcycle.
Able to leap tall buildings in a single turn of the VN750 throttle!

Look, down the road!
It's a bird.
It's a plane.
It's a Kawasaki VN750!

Yes, it's a Kawasaki VN750: strange visitor from another Country who came to America with powers and abilities far beyond those of mortal Motorcycles.

Kawasaki VN750: who can change the course of mighty freeways, bend turns with her steel frame; and who, disguised as just a Kawasaki: mild-mannered cruiser for a great Metropolitan City, fights a never ending battle for Fun, Freedom and the American way."
Thank you
Ray
[email protected]

1 - 20 of 20 Posts