Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else had problems with their turn signals? This has just started and right now it's only in the left light. When I turn the left turn signal on it blinks fast as if a bulb is bad, ( it's a new bulb )then it blinks normal, it will go back and fourth from fast to slow..

Could this be my turn signal control relay going bad or, should I start looking for other problems?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and replies...

Steve

·
Registered
361 Posts
The replacement lamp was the same wattage as the blown lamp eh?? It needs to be the same. If it is, check resistance across the lamp and check with one of the other lamps. Resistance values should be similar, if not the lamp could be faulty.

If not a faulty lamp sounds very similar to a mates shadow I repaired a week or two back.

After a bit of testing it turned out to be bad connections where wires plugged together (and where lamp connects too). Had that green gunge build up in the connections (suspect it was caused by water ingress, he has a bad habit of water blasting his bike!). Any way this green gunge causes bad connections at the cable termination points. Commonly referred to high resistance issues, this made the indicators blink erratically.

Start by checking all connections are sound including any ground (negative connections) connection points. If green gunge is there, easy to fix but time consuming. A decent electrical cleaner and those little pipe cleaner things does the trick then a lick of electrical copper grease.

Cheers Andrew

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
As the above poster said, make sure it's the same wattage.

The flasher runs on load. It needs a certain amount of load to 'work' correctly. Connections need to be clean, and bulbs need to be good. Make sure the connections are clean! AND; a bad bulb can still light up! Bad in the sense that, for whatever laws-of-physics breaking reasons, resistance on one bulb is not correct (probably on it's way out or just a defective bulb). Bulbs are cheap. They are about the only part I would recommend replacing to see if it fixes the issue. But, I would clean the connections (front and rear) and if that doesn't work, replace both front and rear turn signal bulbs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
A little off topic but does any of you know what parts to buy at Radio Shack and how to wire them to create emergency flashers on an 08 Vulcan 2000 Classic LT? Asked about this a few weeks ago on my initial "new member" post and got a bunch of grade school comments about only Harleys needing flashers cause they're the only bikes that break down. Maybe they're the only people who ride in rain, snow, fog, night time and all other conditions. I think not but I wanted to try to rig flashers on my V2K. Thanks.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
do a search on this forum, I know there is one here because I found it once before.. It gives everything you need and how to install it ...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts