Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2007 classic LT. Recently I discovered that the front turn signal housing/assemblies had basically rattled themselves broken internally. Even for plastic, I would have expected the innards to last a little bit longer than 5 years. Anyway, while waiting for the replacement parts, I have 2 questions.

1) are there any sort of bushings or rubber washers I can get to mount the new housings to the light bar to maybe reduce the vibrations and

2) Are there any guidelines to replacing all the turn signals with LED units?

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Can't reply as to the bushings, but I do need more info regarding your LED question. Do you have a PIC of the light? Only need the innards please. Can you get clear lenses for them? Does the lamp end or side face the lens?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
These are the standard OEM turn signals. It looks like maybe they were removed from the stock mount and adapted for the road light bar. The lamp points the same way as the lens with two small screws mounting the base (socket) inside the housing.

standard 1156 and 1157 replacement lamps as far as I know.

Not sure if that answers your question or not.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
It makes a difference because different manufacturers make LED bulbs with end and or side mounted LEDs. Check on eBay or do a search here for guys who have had good luck with varying suppliers or particular lamps. Sounds like yours should be a easy conversion to LED bulbs. Be advised that you will most likely require a solid state, non load dependent flasher. LEDs do not draw enough current to run a normal flasher. Todays flashers have internal circuitry that causes the flasher to flash fast. This is a warning to the vehicle owner that a lamp is burned out. With LEDs low current draw the standard flasher always thinks a lamp is out. Next, you will nee two diodes to wire into the single lamp turn indicator on your dash (?). Again the low current draw can / will actually cross feed the two side through the indicator lamp. There are lot's of posts here about doing that so again, do a search and read up on what to buy and how to do it. It's not a hard, nor big project but it really makes a difference in the bikes appearance, visibility as well as reducing lamp heat in the sockets, increased bulb life and making additional current available for addition accessories with over taxing your charging system. Good Luck. Post back if you have specific questions about your conversion.

·
Registered
357 Posts
http://www.customdynamics.com/kawasaki_turn_signal_led.htm

These are what i got. worth the money as they are cool in the front (white moons) and bright at night.

You will need an LED flasher replacement and turn signal indicator diode mod (or just pull the turn signal indicator bulb)

many LEDs will work due to the internal cheesy reflector but these LEDs point out :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks

I appreciate the info. KisanTech (my signal minder folks) indicate that I may be able to get by with just replacing the turn signal indicator with an LED, but I'm walking into this as slowly and cautiously as I can.

·
Registered
357 Posts
on the 900 if you replace all 4 turn signals with LEDs you will have to remove the turn signal indicator bulb from the instrument housing. Or do the diode mod.

If you had dual indicators like the bigger bikes the flasher would be good enough.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts