Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 VN800 Classic. The Turn signal does not have an emergency flasher option?

Does anyone know of an aftermarket kit or new assembly that would have that?

·
Registered
250 Posts
I'm not sure of any factory optioned system that has emergency flashers for a Vulcan. However, if you're good with wiring work, and don't mind getting a little creative, I have a work around that I'm gathering parts for to swap onto my own 500...

Several HD models use a separate turn signal switch for each side. A basic on/off switch on each side of the handlebar controls. My 500 has 1" bars, same as most of these HD models, and I'm pretty sure your 800 will too. My thought is to change the electronic portions of my controls for these HD components. It'll take some getting used to at first, right turn signal on the right side control, but then if you need emergency flashers, you simply turn both sides on at once.

My idea is still in the drawing board stages to be honest. I'm on a super tight budget, so parts gathering is slow... Mainly hoping someone comes into the shop looking to chrome out their controls and I can keep their factory black pieces and knock a little off the labor...

The wiring wouldn't be too terribly hard to work up, if you have a good mindset for it. You would have to add/change a couple wires from the current configuration.

I'll try to work up a sketch to demonstrate how the wiring is and would need to be done.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I saw this when you posted it, but forgot my password.
I've got the service manual, and the schematics show that there is wiring in place for flashers.
I have not tried to hook them up though.
It looks like the Canadien version of the bike has them from the get-go.
I'll try to get the schematic scanned, but if you have the manual, look at the diagram for the handlebars.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm in the process of doing this, made up a kit, handlebar switch and 2 pin flasher from Ali express 20Us$ delivered for both. Checked them out good quality I've used the same switch before to wire in Day light Running Lights, will fit next week, basic wiring is a permanent battery live through switch to flasher then split to two wires to feed the left and right turn light, all very easy, the L terminal on the flasher ls Load so the wire goes from there to the lights. I'm planning to mount via a relay so any wire drawing the current to the lights is kept around the center line of the bike, and I'm only running the switch wire to the handle bar, I then intend to use a reverse relay feed from the existing turn switch to kill the emergency light feed if I turn the flasher on.
Hardest job will be getting the tank off to run the wires neatly up the back bone of the bike.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was thinking about doing something along these lines Berw. Your suggestion is great. Thanks everyone for the feedback.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My installation is delayed due to work. as I said above basic installation is simple live feed to a switch on handle bars, through a two pin flasher, split the wire and connect to the left and right indicators between the existing switch and the bulb.
Problem I see is that when you turn on this switch the earth side of the existing switch is seeing power, no issue providing you donyt turn the indicators while operating the Hazard.
There are a few ways to stop this either using relays or one way diodes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts