Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2014 Voyager - recently purchased used, 3,000 miles.
Turn signals do not always activate when I move the switch. They do activate maybe 1 out of 3 attempts.
Suggestions please.

·
Registered
154 Posts
All my switches on my new 2016 were sticky right out of the box. This past winter, I saw on this or the Facebook page someone sprayed some electrical contact cleaner in his switches. I did same. Wow......all were like butter after that. You might try this first before starting to take anything apart. Good luck!

·
END OF YEAR BIKE 2018 Winner
862 Posts
All my switches on my new 2016 were sticky right out of the box. This past winter, I saw on this or the Facebook page someone sprayed some electrical contact cleaner in his switches. I did same. Wow......all were like butter after that. You might try this first before starting to take anything apart. Good luck!
This is not a bad suggestion. Odds are the contacts are dirty/gummed up. Alcohol works great for this. (Not the drinking kind.:devil2:)

Caution! Do not have any power applied when doing this operation. Also make sure that you either let it dry or blow air to it to dry it out before any power.

I personally recommend that you take it apart and clean the contacts. It's nothing more than a slide switch and isn't that difficult. If you have no experience doing such things with electrical components it might be a better solution to use the method that @auwing1978 suggested.

Or perhaps have a friend do it that has the experience.

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
This is not a bad suggestion. Odds are the contacts are dirty/gummed up. Alcohol works great for this. (Not the drinking kind.:devil2:)

Caution! Do not have any power applied when doing this operation. Also make sure that you either let it dry or blow air to it to dry it out before any power.

I personally recommend that you take it apart and clean the contacts. It's nothing more than a slide switch and isn't that difficult. If you have no experience doing such things with electrical components it might be a better solution to use the method that @auwing1978 suggested.

Or perhaps have a friend do it that has the experience.
+1 Also apply some dielectric grease in and around the switch. This will lube it and protect it from moisture. You will have to work the switch a few times to clear the contact surfaces, but after that, it should work fine. The downside is that the grease will attract dirt, but if you make cleaning the switch an annual, or even biannual maintenance, you should never have a problem again.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

This forum is awesome. Thanks so much to all that replied.

I got some contact cleaner and all is well. I now have enough to last me at least 50 years. Stop by if you need a squirt.

·
Registered
381 Posts
And while you are at might want to the same with your key ignition (just in case). I once got stranded in the middle of nowhere myself because the key hole got all gummed up and wouldn't turn to the on position =0. Desperate I had to drip oil into it from the dipstick to lube it up and keep working the key till it finally loosened up! When I got home I douched it out with WD-40 and it's moved super smooth since.

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
Do not use WD40 on electrical switches. Great stuff but it is a dirt magnet. Use electrical cleaner. You can get it at any auto store.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts