Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my bike got caught up in a bad storm. The next day the right turn signal didnt work and eventually the left didnt work either. I just changed the relay (even though I didn't really think that was the issue). I guess my main question is; am i able to take apart the switch and clean it out? Or am I hosed, and I have to replace the switch?

·
Registered
315 Posts
The same happened to my Nomad a couple of years back. The switch can be opened up and cleaned. That fixed my problem.

·
Premium Member
1,122 Posts
If you ride much in rain, or even if you don't, you may want to coat the contacts with dielectric grease after cleaning. Once assembled, it may take a few pushes in each direction to rub enough of the grease off to make good contact, but the grease will help prevent the switch from getting water shorts in the future. Downside is that the switches will need to be cleaned occasionally as the grease will collect dust and dirt. It's a trade off. Reliable turn signals if you ride in rain much (and the same can be done for the start button) for the price of occasional maintenance. For me, it's worth it for as often as I get caught in rain.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Try a shot of contact cleaner sprayed into the switch slot. Available at many places that sell electronics or auto supplies. It happened to me and that cleared it right up. (I used to get mine from Radio Shack, but you can't do that any more.)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts