Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.

I've got a 1996 Vulcan 1500A.

I'm having issues with my turn signals. I change them over to an after market set. This after market set doesn't have the running lights in front. When I turn on the turn signal the lights come on but do not blink. It was just one side, now it's both.

Bad relay? Or are the running lights part of a circuit that need to be on?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
698 Posts
You should have three wires for the front and two for the back.
The extra wire in the front is for the running lights.
You know there are no running lights in the back right?
So how did you wire them up?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Have you tried hooking up the old lights to troubleshoot? It seems unlikely that the issue would be somewhere else if you developed the problem when you changed the lights out...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The new ones are incandescent.
The new ones have a red and black. I hooked them up to the front using the gray and green wires. The blue is the running lights.

They were working when I had them twisted together. But now that I've soldered the wires and put heat shrink on them they quit flashing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll probably go out today and get me some quick disconnects and try using the old signals.
When I got the bike there were no rear signals so I got to use what I have now.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Old signals work. Running light and flasher.
New signals don't. Wired them to the flasher circuit. They come on and do not flash.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When I hook up the old light without hooking up the running light circuit, they flash.

I'm stumped. This sucks.

·
Registered
244 Posts
It seems the new ones don't take enough juice to heat up the flasher. This is a common LED problem but oddly yours are incans. The standard bulb filament takes about 20w so together 40w.
You need a new flasher relay (it's not actually a relay but it's called that on the print) and I believe yours is just a simple 2-wire unit. The one I used ( LF1-S-PIN ) for my LED's from superbrightleds.com will do incans also. My rears are combo: amber turn, red brake and red running lights in the stock housing using some custom made bulbs & wiring. The fronts are amber turn & white driving. I added some clear lenses front and rear from Dennis Kirk that fit the stock housing after a bit of machining.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The new bulb is only about the size of a dime.
Maybe that is the problem. Seems to make sense. I'll check out those relays.
Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I called their techs. I just need one.
Thanks again for the info.
I ordered in and it's in its way.
We shall see what happens.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hmm... when I reassembled my '01 1500 Classic after the top end rebuild, my right front directional stopped blinking. After checking the bulb, just an 1157, I figured I had a bad ground; but I don't feel like taking the tank off.
Your post has given me someplace else to look! Thanks for helping me not take the tank off! ;o)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I installed the mentioned replacement flasher and everything works fine. So glad this mess is over with.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts