Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone else experienced a brittle and crumbling Amber Turn Signal Lens?

One of my front Turn Signal Lenses on my 1700 Classic LT just came apart in my hands while cleaning my bike. They would be the same front lenses as the Nomad and likely the same rear lens used on most 1700's.

The edges of the lens were all crumbly and powdery - almost as though someone had tried to glue it in place. The remaining three lenses are all solid and show no signs of falling out - which brings me to my next point...

How do you remove them? Do they just snap on or do you need to remove the single screw in the back of the signal housing first, then give it a quarter turn while holding your tongue a certain way? ;)

Until my dealer get a new lens at approx. $30+ (thankfully my bike is still under warranty), I have taped the old lens in place so that I can still drive the bike.

Edit: Well, a review of the Service Manual has revealed that the Amber Lens is supposed to remain attached to the reflector assembly and that the bulb is to be removed from the rear of the reflector/bulb socket assembly. Clearly I have a defective unit in which either the Amber Lens was not properly attached to the reflector assembly, or the lens itself was made from inferior material that cracked/crumbled.

No wonder the Signal Lens/Reflector Assembly is so expensive ($30+). If the lenses were available separately, they would likely not cost more than $5-$10 each.

Sorry to have wasted your time, but my home 'puter is down and I only have access to the .pdf manual at work, where I am failing miserably at restricting my Forum addiction ;)

·
Registered
381 Posts
Has anyone else experienced a brittle and crumbling Amber Turn Signal Lens?

One of my front Turn Signal Lenses on my 1700 Classic LT just came apart in my hands while cleaning my bike. They would be the same front lenses as the Nomad and likely the same rear lens used on most 1700's.

The edges of the lens were all crumbly and powdery - almost as though someone had tried to glue it in place. The remaining three lenses are all solid and show no signs of falling out - which brings me to my next point...

How do you remove them? Do they just snap on or do you need to remove the single screw in the back of the signal housing first, then give it a quarter turn while holding your tongue a certain way? ;)

Until my dealer get a new lens at approx. $30+ (thankfully my bike is still under warranty), I have taped the old lens in place so that I can still drive the bike.

Edit: Well, a review of the Service Manual has revealed that the Amber Lens is supposed to remain attached to the reflector assembly and that the bulb is to be removed from the rear of the reflector/bulb socket assembly. Clearly I have a defective unit in which either the Amber Lens was not properly attached to the reflector assembly, or the lens itself was made from inferior material that cracked/crumbled.

No wonder the Signal Lens/Reflector Assembly is so expensive ($30+). If the lenses were available separately, they would likely not cost more than $5-$10 each.

Sorry to have wasted your time, but my home 'puter is down and I only have access to the .pdf manual at work, where I am failing miserably at restricting my Forum addiction ;)
I've had a few of the standard style lenses crack on my old 900 Vulcan but have yet to have this issue with any of my stock 1700 turn signals. I agree that you probably got a defective one.

Yea the lens/reflector assembly is kind of a pain especially if you want to use any type of custom LED bulbs.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts