Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Vulcan 1700 Classic
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've replaced my rear turn signals with ones from a 1600 (easiest way to get clear lenses). The harness connectors are not the same, so I cut the ones from my original signals and put them on the new 1600 signals, matching the wire colors. Now I get the 4 way flashing when signaling in either direction. When I disconnect one side, everything works correctly on the other side. All bulbs are incandescent, so I don't get what's going on. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2012 Vulcan 1700 Classic
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So I took everything apart and checked the connections, checked the wires, and even bypassed the harness connectors. This is what I've found... Reinstall 2 old signals- works as should. 1 new signal and 1 old signal (tried this in all combinations-new left old right, new right old left) works as should. Both 1600 signals- 4way flash. I have no idea what to do next.

·
Super Moderator
4,165 Posts
Puzzling. You would think this would be a simple swap. There is only two wires coming out of each signal correct? One wire is ground and the other is power. Black/yellow are ground on both bikes, but the other wire from each signal changes color between the signal and the harness.
Like on the 1700 the right rear signal has one black/yellow and one orange wire. The orange wire changes to grey after going through the wiring connector.
Look at the wiring diagrams of both bikes at www.Manualslib.com and see if it becomes clearer. Wonder if there is some internal difference between the 1600 and 1700 signals. Wish I had a more definitive answer for you and am curious how this will turn out.

·
Registered
2012 Vulcan 1700 Classic
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It seems the turn signal housing is the culprit. I took the bases out of the housings and everything worked fine. The moment the right signal base touches the turn signal housing is when the 4 way effect happens. It seems like it's disrupting the ground connection, but the housings are plastic, so again I'm at a loss. I thought about spraying the inside with plastidip or some other insulating spray but I'd really like to solve this instead of just masking the symptoms. Anyone have any clues?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts