Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm having a problem with my 2014 Vulcan 900. So a little background. I left it with the key in a little too long yesterday, and the battery died. I took it out, charged it overnight, and put it back in this morning. Now when I turn on my left turn indicator, it flashes very quickly. I checked both the front and back lights, and they seem to be fine, just fast. Now, after leaving the signal on for about 60 seconds or so, it goes back to a normal speed. Could it be a pinched wire from putting the battery cover back on? Or is a bulb about to burn out? Or something else entirely?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Pull the bulbs and check the contacts could be corrosion.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Flashing turn signals usually means a bad bulb or connection.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pull the bulbs and check the contacts could be corrosion.
Could it be corroded already? The bike is less than 3 months old.

Which bundle of wires near the battery goes to the turn signals?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Without knowing how you store your bike and assuming the worst, yes. It is also the cheapest/easiest check if the bulbs look good as you said they are.

I cant recall off the top of my head I believe the front bulb is a 1157. I would just double check and make sure it is installed correct being a dual filament bulb

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Without knowing how you store your bike and assuming the worst, yes. It is also the cheapest/easiest check if the bulbs look good as you said they are.

I cant recall off the top of my head I believe the front bulb is a 1157. I would just double check and make sure it is installed correct being a dual filament bulb
Alright, I'll see about taking it out.

·
Registered
357 Posts
make sure all connections are secure, I believe when I had to take my battery out that some of the rear cables ran over the battery cover. also just make sure the terminal connections are secured. I doubt corrosion even in extreme since it is summer and you probably don't leave the bike in the pouring rain every day

·
Registered
48 Posts
could also be a bad ground on the front indicators. Mine do that and I have to smack the indicator housing and it starts to flash normally.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm about as mechanically inclined as a drunken monkey, so I'll have to do a lot of googling just to figure out what you're talking about lol. I'll have a go at it this evening if it isn't too hot. And FWIW, I'm in Austin TX, so not near the ocean, and the bike is covered every night and ridden every day.

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
Are the signals normal now or still fast?
When you installed the new battery, did you connect it up backwards, just even for an instant?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Are the signals normal now or still fast?
When you installed the new battery, did you connect it up backwards, just even for an instant?
So, the problem has been intermittent over the last two days, not constant. I made the mistake of not checking to see if it was doing it BEFORE taking the seat off. None of the wires were disconnected, but I pushed everything together just a little harder, and when I tried, the left signal was a normal speed. Whether I actually fixed it, or if it was just during a "working" cycle I'll find out when I ride to work tomorrow.

As for the battery, it's the same battery, just recharged it. And no, there is no possibility it was ever connected backwards. The cables aren't actually long enough on mine to connect to the terminals if the battery isn't in correctly.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's a 2014 bike it should be repaired under warranty.
I just didn't want to take it in, for them to diagnose it as being MY fault pinching a wire, and then charge me for it.

As of today's commute, the signal was working just fine, so something I did worked I guess.

·
Registered
101 Posts
My left signal is now doing it after I got it out of the shop for a state inspection Saturday. They told me they adjusted my clutch because they felt it was loose. I just stared in disbelief...There was nothing wrong with my clutch. So now as a result the clutch is further away from the handle, my left signal is blinking extremely fast, and it may be my imagination but the bike feels much hotter from below the seat.

I'm sitting here just wondering how they could f*** up my bike just from doing a simple state inspection. I'm worried they crimped a wire or something from messing with my clutch. Any ideas?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My left signal is now doing it after I got it out of the shop for a state inspection Saturday. They told me they adjusted my clutch because they felt it was loose. I just stared in disbelief...There was nothing wrong with my clutch. So now as a result the clutch is further away from the handle, my left signal is blinking extremely fast, and it may be my imagination but the bike feels much hotter from below the seat.

I'm sitting here just wondering how they could f*** up my bike just from doing a simple state inspection. I'm worried they crimped a wire or something from messing with my clutch. Any ideas?
lol. Everyone always feels the need to adjust my clutch too. Drives me crazy. I just take it back to the manual recommendation when I get it back. As to the light blinking, do the same thing I did. Take the seat off, push all the wires into their connections snuggly, take the lense covers off and push the bulbs in snuggly too, and see if that works? Did the trick for me.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Could it be corroded already? The bike is less than 3 months old.

Which bundle of wires near the battery goes to the turn signals?
Yes. I pulled my rear lights apart to modify the wiring so that I have rear running lights. My Left signal housing was corroded and a PITA to get the bulb out of the socket. I've only had the bike about 4 months. (since April)

As the bike sits outside at all times, I'm really not surprised by this. I made sure to put a healthy dose of dielectric grease into the new bulb sockets to hopefully avoid further problems in the future.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts