Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Want to convert rear turn signals to running lights.Is there a way without out too much difficulty ??.I can get red lenses to replace the stock so everything is red.Thanks for any help and suggestions.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have a "triple whammy" installed. It came from cruiser customizing and is plug and play on the 900. My rear turn signals are run, turn, brake.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
rear running lights

Checked for tripe whammy and can not find one that fits the 900 as nl rider stated .Can you tell me which one you used and the no.Thanks

·
Registered
213 Posts
What I did:

Took an 1157 socket - I used the stock sockets from my front turn signals since I have a light bar installed.

Pulled the socket out of the turn signal stalks, put in the new socket, then routed, soldered and heat shrunk the wires accordingly.

Soldered the stock rear connecters to the new socket. Ground to ground, and used the Bright/high power wire of the socket to the stock connector.

Tie in the 3rd wire (low power wire) into the tail light/ running light.

Put on a set of red lenses that I had on my VN750.

cost = almost zero.

Reactions: 1summerguy

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rear trun signals to runing lights

Thanks for the reply on wiring it up using 1157 sockets.Had thought about that but wasnt sure about wiring it up.your explanation makes it doable.Was looking for a plug and play but yours makes it easy and lot less expensive.Thanks again for the good write up.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I am going to do what Ndr did as soon as I get the time to do it.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Just an FYI; in some jurisdictions you need to change the rear running light lenses to red instead of orange. You'll notice on bikes that have turn signals in the back as running lights 'by default', they run red lenses.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
What I did:

Took an 1157 socket - I used the stock sockets from my front turn signals since I have a light bar installed.

Pulled the socket out of the turn signal stalks, put in the new socket, then routed, soldered and heat shrunk the wires accordingly.

Soldered the stock rear connecters to the new socket. Ground to ground, and used the Bright/high power wire of the socket to the stock connector.

Tie in the 3rd wire (low power wire) into the tail light/ running light.

Put on a set of red lenses that I had on my VN750.

cost = almost zero.
Yup, thats the best and simple way to do it. No extra module to fail. The Triple Whammy makes the turn signals work as brakes, turn and run. This method only makes it run and turn. Im fine with Run and turn only. I will be doing it this method.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Just an FYI; in some jurisdictions you need to change the rear running light lenses to red instead of orange. You'll notice on bikes that have turn signals in the back as running lights 'by default', they run red lenses.
***YES***
If you are running red light in the rear, you must change to a red lens. You can also use a clear lens if you have a red bulb, but in my opinion, the red lens looks better anyways.

Running a red lens with a red LED bulb will also give a seemingly brighter light output.

What red lenses are you guys buying?
I initially got my lenses from here:
http://www.customdynamics.com/Kawasaki_motorcycle_clear_tail_light_lens.htm

·
Registered
643 Posts
Kisan SM3 signal minder. This provides rear running lights, brake flash, auto signal cancel, 4 way flashers. Simple install no wires to cut.

You can get red lenses on eBay for about $12.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Kisan SM3 signal minder. This provides rear running lights, brake flash, auto signal cancel, 4 way flashers. Simple install no wires to cut.

You can get red lenses on eBay for about $12.
I also used the SM3 it works well. Changed my lenses to red (order 2 sets by mistake so if anyone needs one let me know ;)

·
Registered
376 Posts
Signal Minder from Kisan worked well for me http://kisantech.com/mag/index.php/signalminder.html?p=1

Automatic turn signal cancellation
Turns turn signal lights into running lights
Flashing rear stop light
Four way flasher and parade mode options.

You also have to purchase the red lenses from Custom Dynamics.

With Kisan you have to make sure you purchase the correct unit for your model. The Kisan headlight modulator is a great unit also and is plug and play.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
I just ordered some Dynamic Clusters2 for the rear and Dynamic Ringz for the front. Will try smoked lenses for front and rear to see how that works. I don't think I want to do red lenses for the rear because I want to keep the turn signal color as yellow/orange as possible.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts