Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK so my new to me 2000 800 VClassic is giving me a bit of issues. The prev owner bypssed the EPA "stuff" added a set of cobra pips, and as he put it "added a jet kit"

So since I got it, the front cylinder is obviously running a tad lean and has that classic steady thump thump like it should. And NO exaust smell at the header and is obviously getting hotter than the rear. Now the rear ides more like a pft pfft pfft thump thump pfft pfft...you get the picture, and it is obviously (by smell) running richer than the front.

With all that going on it had great smooth performance throughout the throttle position. When I had the air cleaner off I noticed he still had the connection piece from the stock airbox to the intake filter. I took it off and now it sputters when WOT through all gears.

My questions are what should be done about the front cyc vs the back one running at different rich or len. And does anyone have a good tutorial on tuning these engines?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
The rear cylinders do run a tad richer, but not much. If its so rich you smell the difference, thats not normal. 1st I would check the petcock. With the petcock in the run or reserve positions, when you remove the hose, you should not get more than a few drops of fuel. If it continues to flow, even slowly, the petcock is bad. If this checks out good, next I would check the float height, it may be a little high or the needle may not be seating good. If you have the stock air box and filter, a jet kit should not be needed. Would be easier to say jets are wrong if we knew what jets were put in. Stock needle will not have grooves, pilot should be a 48, and the main in my 05 was a 135. A good cleaning of the carb may be all you need. The idle mixture should be between 2 and 3 turns from lightly bottomed, 2 1/2 is fairly normal when jets are changed.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts