Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would love to hear of anyone who installed a speaker system on their bike. I am wondering about sound quality and ease of installation. Any suggestions are appreciated.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I had a Shark system for a while. Kind of unsightly. Not the best quality. But it worked and it was cheap. I think I paid $50 or $60 for a 100W system. Even on the interstate I could hear most songs pretty well, provided I had my foam earplugs in. Otherwise it was nothing but distortion. I mounted the speakers on the mirror stems and amp in the center fairing pouch.

Now I have a Scala Q2 Pro. More expensive and not what you were asking about but it fit my needs much better.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
all you need is a mp3 player or a smartphone with pandora and a really good set of ear buds .. you will get far better sound quality this way than any over modulated high distortion what ever hanging off your handlebars. You may not look as cool, but the sound will be there, the wind noise wont, and everybody else wont have to listen to your speakers crackling away. .... I just dont get the whole "look at me, my sterio is loud and sounds like crap" guys riding down the road at 60 mph plus.

·
Registered
269 Posts
My Harley has an AM/FM stereo with CD player and 4 speakers. I play it about once per year just to see if it still works.

Listening to music while I ride just isn't for me. I guess I have a one track mind and don't like anything distracting me from that one thing I'm doing. If I listen to music while I ride, it's too easy for me to get engrossed in the music and forget that I'm on a motorcycle...... and that's not good.

I don't mean to be critical of others who like to listen to music while they ride. It's just not for me. Now if I'm cruising down the highway in my car or truck, then it's no problem because I don't have to remember to lean in the curves or change gears at the stoplights. But on a motorcycle, listening to music is just too distracting to ME.

To the OP, hope you find what you're looking for. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
all you need is a mp3 player or a smartphone with pandora and a really good set of ear buds .. you will get far better sound quality this way than any over modulated high distortion what ever hanging off your handlebars. You may not look as cool, but the sound will be there, the wind noise wont, and everybody else wont have to listen to your speakers crackling away. .... I just dont get the whole "look at me, my sterio is loud and sounds like crap" guys riding down the road at 60 mph plus.
These are what I use. They do good. I mean they aren't perfect but I feel they do very good for the price. They come with 2 different size ear bud foam pieces to choose from for the best feel. They are like ear buds with ear plugs built in. They also have a longer cord on them than some others I have seen.

Now I have a Scala Rider head set for the wife and I. Use it sometimes for audio. They have an AUX jack you can hardwire any audio source too.

http://www.amazon.com/JVC-HA-FX35-B-Marshmallow-Stereo-Headphones/dp/B0036RDVRI

·
Registered
702 Posts
radio caddy fairing

Coming off a Goldwing after 26 years, I missed both the fairing and the tunes. So, I made some brackets and installed this Radio Caddy fairing w/Polk marine-grade speakers. At highway speeds you CAN hear it clearly, using a Kenwood marine-grade receiver.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
To those that advocate using headphones instead of a speaker system, please check the laws in where you plan on riding. Some states prohibit the use of headphones.

http://drivinglaws.aaa.com/laws/headsets/

For example, I live in VA, as a result while riding in VA I am limited to only the Bluetooth speakers I have installed in my helmet. However, should I decide to ride inot PA where I can ride without a helmet, I cannot switch to head phones or even if I keep my helmet on, I must not use the bluetooth speakers for anything other than phone calls.

For me it's not about tunes, its more about being able to listen to local traffic conditions as I commute through rush hour traffic. I did try and use my helmet speakers to listen to tunes at one point but Like Chas63 indicated, I lost focus on the road. I put myself and others in undue risk. Besides, headbanging at 70mph is never a good idea. :)

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
To those that advocate using headphones instead of a speaker system, please check the laws in where you plan on riding. Some states prohibit the use of headphones.

http://drivinglaws.aaa.com/laws/headsets/

For example, I live in VA, as a result while riding in VA I am limited to only the Bluetooth speakers I have installed in my helmet. However, should I decide to ride inot PA where I can ride without a helmet, I cannot switch to head phones or even if I keep my helmet on, I must not use the bluetooth speakers for anything other than phone calls.

For me it's not about tunes, its more about being able to listen to local traffic conditions as I commute through rush hour traffic. I did try and use my helmet speakers to listen to tunes at one point but Like Chas63 indicated, I lost focus on the road. I put myself and others in undue risk. Besides, headbanging at 70mph is never a good idea. :)
You pose a good point. I know it is illegal in VA to do it, I also have not heard the first person being cited for it either. For the most part my wife and I talk too much with the Scala rider set to listen to music anyway. I use it for music with I am riding solo.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
You pose a good point. I know it is illegal in VA to do it, I also have not heard the first person being cited for it either. For the most part my wife and I talk too much with the Scala rider set to listen to music anyway. I use it for music with I am riding solo.
I have the Midland BT-2 set for my helmet. VA does have an exception for helmet systems. So you should be ok. But when I ride with my half helmet, no headphones. However, I do not think that headphones are a primary offense. It may not be the reason for them to pull you over. However, if someone is driving recklessly and found to have headphones in, then yes, I could see a citation. Like you I have never actually seen or heard of a citation for headphones.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Don't know about PA but it's a moving violation in NY to use stereo earbuds. It's not even legal to ride a bicycle with earbuds in NY. You have to leave one ear open. A friend got ticketed for listening to his iPod on his bike (MC). If I remember correctly it cost him about $170 for ticket, $80 for the surcharge and since it's a moving violation there are points involved as well. Check your local laws before you decide what to do.

·
Registered
273 Posts
music

+1 on Chas63 for me also. My son rides a harley deuce with super loud pipes and has to wear earbuds, it's a struggle riding along side of him. I tried it once, I found mysef not paying attention to the traffic around me which I don't feel comfortable with. I also just read an article on the web how earbuds are really bad for your hearing, have long lasting effects on it I already have tinnitus an am really careful to avoid really loud noises like saws, hammers etc.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I had the shark stereo. Meh. Poor quality, failed after a while. Loud enough I guess- ya get what you paid for.

However- Shark does make one product that blew me away- their bluetooth headset kit. It's about $100 for two headsets, wife and I can hear each other clear as day and music sounds pretty good as well! I mean 85mph on two bikes we can have a conversation like we were at the dinner table, I'm not kidding!

My buddy bought the Scala. The build quality on the Scala is much better (though the shark is still good, all day battery, waterproof, rubber shell), the Shark is actually LOUDER and CLEARER! He returned the Scala and actually bought the cheaper shark because he couldn't hear on the highway with the Scala, but he could with the shark. So far, they've lasted us a year without a hiccup. We'll see.

Anyway, if you were planning on going with one of the cheap speaker setups, I'd say skip that and go with the good stuff- get the bluetooth headset. Either the shark, or one of the more expensive ones. You'll get better quality music, it's legal (not earbuds, but speakers mounted in your helmet!), it's versatile (can be used as an intercom with a passenger), etc. etc.

If I was gonna buy something, and not just use earbuds, I'd use the BT headset. I stopped using my handlebar speakers when I got the headset.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I had the shark stereo. Meh. Poor quality, failed after a while. Loud enough I guess- ya get what you paid for.

However- Shark does make one product that blew me away- their bluetooth headset kit. It's about $100 for two headsets, wife and I can hear each other clear as day and music sounds pretty good as well! I mean 85mph on two bikes we can have a conversation like we were at the dinner table, I'm not kidding!

My buddy bought the Scala. The build quality on the Scala is much better (though the shark is still good, all day battery, waterproof, rubber shell), the Shark is actually LOUDER and CLEARER! He returned the Scala and actually bought the cheaper shark because he couldn't hear on the highway with the Scala, but he could with the shark. So far, they've lasted us a year without a hiccup. We'll see.

Anyway, if you were planning on going with one of the cheap speaker setups, I'd say skip that and go with the good stuff- get the bluetooth headset. Either the shark, or one of the more expensive ones. You'll get better quality music, it's legal (not earbuds, but speakers mounted in your helmet!), it's versatile (can be used as an intercom with a passenger), etc. etc.

If I was gonna buy something, and not just use earbuds, I'd use the BT headset. I stopped using my handlebar speakers when I got the headset.
I had to put a piece of foam behind the speakers in the ear cavity of the helmet to move the speaker closer to my ear. Now I have to turn it down because it is LOUD.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I can't see myself installing speakers on my handle bars and all that wiring runing down. I could do it if I had a batwing to install a system in. My fix for this was a A cheap pair of wally world head set and a Ipod, I had the ipod and head set siting in a drawer. I also have a extension cord for the speakers that sit in my bag if I need to use the GPS on the Iphone. So to have tunes on my bike cost $0. You can do this for like $35 with Ipod and head set from Walley world

So if you wear a 3\4 or a full face helmet go with speakers in helmet

Attachments

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Pretty smart Ernie! Only issue would be the rain (which the BT headsets can handle) but beyond that, that's a smart idea!

Scott; I'm gonna try that. Mine is plenty loud enough but louder never hurts, you can always turn it down more.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts

i wear a helmet ... if i dont have the ear buds in , Im wearing ear plugs, i dont care what the law says, and yes, i can still hear with both applications.

Any hearing loss with buds is due to having too loud volume, lets face it hearing loss can be caused by many things .... including load pipes.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I had problems with ear buds falling out of my ears as I ride. Or they just get uncomfortable.
So here is my solution. I installed a windshield bag. And wired a usb charger into it. Then got a 5 foot headphone ext wire on line. Ran that under my tank so that it comes out the same place my tender wire does. That handles power and getting sound to me.
Now the the ear buds.
I loved the sound of Skull candy smokin buds for cell phone.
Again they fall out as I ride. So....
I but them in my ears and then used Raidan ear plug compound to fill in around my ears. After the compound cured. I add a drop of super glue to hold the bud it the compound. And put on the smallest tips it had. Works great. I get some noise reduction and the buds still in nicely.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

Attachments

·
Registered
273 Posts
check out my stereo vid at the bottom for another idea. works pretty well. i like it anyway.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts