Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I was putting a new tire on my bike, every thing went well old tire off new tire on real smooth, Then i pumped up the tire an all the bubbles from the lube i used comes pouring out the spokes. Called around got a new tube (at a high price imo) so my cost jumed from around $70 to $100.
Does anyone Know if There is A tubeless wheel hat will fit the vulcan 500 so I can avoid this in the future? I think it would be a worth while investment.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Today I was putting a new tire on my bike, every thing went well old tire off new tire on real smooth, Then i pumped up the tire an all the bubbles from the lube i used comes pouring out the spokes. Called around got a new tube (at a high price imo) so my cost jumed from around $70 to $100.
Does anyone Know if There is A tubeless wheel hat will fit the vulcan 500 so I can avoid this in the future? I think it would be a worth while investment.
Thanks
Yep The older Vulcan & 454 had cast wheels. :)

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Blaine,

I too am going to do this 'upgrade'.

After 16 years and 170k flat-free miles Hidalgo has had two flats within the past three months. Neither was caused by road debris. The first was because a spoke broke and tore the tube almost 500 miles from home. The next was partly my fault, but it was also the fault of the tube. Some tire manufacturers and distributors put paper stickers inside the tire for identification purposes. If you do not remove them before mounting the tire/tube that little square of paper *will* chafe a hole in the tube. I missed one when I mounted the tire.

Anyway, after paying through the nose for tows, shuttles and car rental I am *done* with tubes on the rear. So I ordered a wheel from a '91 EN500 that should be here Wednesday. I am also ordering a plug kit, air pump and a towing service to my insurance policy. Who knows, maybe it will be another 16 years/170k miles before the next flat. :)

Ride safe.

...and flat free!

·
Registered
13 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
As for flat tire protection, I use Ride-On Tire Sealant & Balancer in my tubeless tires on both my Vulcan 500 and my Magna 750. Not only does it provide flat protection, but eliminates the need for wheel weights for tire balancing. And as far as the argument that some make about wheel corrosion, I have changed tires after using Ride-On and seen absolutely no evidence of any aluminum corrosion inside the wheel. Ride-On tech support says they have corrosion inhibitors in their product.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts