Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I brought this question up in another thread. And I think I have seen it brought up before. But I couldn't find the answer in my searches on here.

So I have a Classic, so I have to use tubes in my tires. I know that you try different things to get by without them. Not even touching that subject.

I want to know if there is such a thing as a tire that can't use tubes, and has to be tubeless only. I have been looking at some of the Bridgestones and they differentiate between tube type, or tubeless type. So does it matter? I have never seen this mentioned before.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
A "tube-type" tire won't be designed to seal bead-to-rim. It would require a tube to be installed on any type of wheel. Since the spoke wheels on the Classics and LTs require tubes, logic would direct me to believe that you could use a tube-type without issue. The OE Dunlops are tubeless tires, but that's likely to reduce the difference in part numbers between the models, since the Custom and the Classic/LT use the same rear tire.

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2013
57 Posts
You can actually convert the tube to tubeless by using special technique to seal the classic rims. My friend has done this and run without any problem. The best about tubeless you can actually repair by sealing the punctured hole with sealant. So in long journey punctured tire is one less of a problem.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK so Lucifier what you are saying is that I can use a tube-less tyre on the Classics rims with a tube?

·
Registered
168 Posts
OK so Lucifier what you are saying is that I can use a tube-less tyre on the Classics rims with a tube?
Absolutely.

You can use tubeless tires with with or without tubes.
You can only use tube-type tires with tubes. Not without.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok. makes sense. What about changing the tubes? Do they have to be changed everytime. My front is original, 16000 miles. So I plan to do it. But the rear tire was changed like 5k ago and the tube was changed then also. That I am sure off cuz the valve stem is a 90 degree, and if I am correct you can't change the valve stem only with tubes.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
First: yes you can put tubes into tubeless tires. I've done this, but because of the better contact made at the rim, more time needs to be taken to ensure that, when inflating the tube, air isn't trapped between the tube and the wall of the tire. I'll generally inflate/deflate the tube a few times without the core in the stem to let the tube get itself situated within the tire. Once inflated, make sure to check it again before heading out for a ride later or the next day.

Some folks change tubes with every tire change, other don't. It seems to be a personal choice. Myself, i carefully examine the tube and the valve stem for wear and/or rust. The last tube i changed showed little wear, but i was uncomfortable with the rust buildup around the metal valvestem, so i replaced the tube.

The only time you can replace the valve stem only is on tubeless tires. Obviously, the valve stem is attached to a tube.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thought so

1 - 8 of 8 Posts