Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my Tsukayu 'Strong" hardbags back from the paint shop yesterday... mounted them today in this heat....running sweat...but they came out fine !!
The only color numbers for this paint came from colorite..and it appears it is just a tiny bit more 'blue' in the red than the original color.... *sigh*...but it is still a good match and I am sure I wont notice in a week...

some pics ! :D

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
now that I see them on the bike I am SO glad I didnt get the "jumbo strong" bags...they would have been too big IMHO. They must be for bikes that dont have the stock muffler setup...

also... I had a set of painted National Cycle hardbags on my last bike....but I gotta say these tsukayu bags are superiorly constructed. The latches are nicely chromed metal (Vs plastic ) ....the body is fiberglass and much more rigid than the plastic NC bag.....the mounting gear is chromed. A much better hardbag all around.

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
Annie, now that you've had them for a while, have you encountered any problems? I'm seriously looking at these, but....the jumbos. Only because I'm going to be packing my bags and going camping. 40 liters per side sounds like I can get most of my camping gear/clothes inside them and LOCKED! Only thing I can think that wont fit is the sleeping pad, folding chair and maybe the sleeping bag. That would sure put the center of gravity lower. What are your thoughts? Would the strongs be large enough for all that camping stuff?

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
zig... 7 month now and I still love these bags. MUCH better than the National Cycle cruiseliner thingies I had before. The hardware is solid, the bags are solid... they painted up great.....the look is great.... the hardward chrome is shiny.... and the locks still work well ( are ya listenin National Cycle??).....

the only minor issue I thought I saw was a weak point where the bags bolt to the mount hardware that I thought might vibrate enough to crack the fiberglass someday...... some big washers to spread the load there are in order.

As far as space for camping gear.... they will hold a lot of stuff but they are not gonna hold it all! I cannot see packing a sleeping bag in one side....?? As you say, Tsukayu do make a "jumbo strong" bag that holds a lot more... but to me it is a little too large for the bike...IMHO. I think Poncho Villa has them on his ride in here... you can see them in his avatar or if you can find pix of his bike on here... he put them on shortly after I did mine and I think he posted in my thread even??

Good luck... I would buy them again in a heartbeat....

found his post with pics ! http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9392

Annie

Annie, now that you've had them for a while, have you encountered any problems? I'm seriously looking at these, but....the jumbos. Only because I'm going to be packing my bags and going camping. 40 liters per side sounds like I can get most of my camping gear/clothes inside them and LOCKED! Only thing I can think that wont fit is the sleeping pad, folding chair and maybe the sleeping bag. That would sure put the center of gravity lower. What are your thoughts? Would the strongs be large enough for all that camping stuff?

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
Thanks, Annie. I just read that whole thread. He did great work painting those, and with a spray can??? That makes me think about painting mine myself. Probably wont come out as good though. Anyway, thanks for the thread.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Thanks, Annie. I just read that whole thread. He did great work painting those, and with a spray can??? That makes me think about painting mine myself. Probably wont come out as good though. Anyway, thanks for the thread.
zig'rs, yes you can. key is in the prep. take off all hardware. tape off all rubber, etc. wet sand. prime. wet sand. prime again if needed. wet sand. light coat. wet sand.#1000, light coat. wet sand. light coat. wet sand. light coat. wet sand. clear. clear. clear. figure about a can per bag. ponch, out
ps. dont forget the :beer:

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
Thanks, Ponch. You mentioned something about going black at one time I think. Have you had any regrets matching to the color of your bike? Black would have looked cool. I'm also thinking about the black vinyl finish. Don't know how it'd look. I did the Jethro Clampet thing a week ago down to Garner State Park. Hope to have a better set up before I go camping again.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
ziggy, black always looks good. hotter n hades. can't keep my beer cold. most all my bikes have been black.. am thinking it might be time for a silver bullet:beer:.
Gardner SP +/-. now Lost Maples SP is the place to camp n hike! not 20miles from GSP. you can ride the twisted sisters, hiways 337, 335, 336. good stuff. ponch, out.

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
We did make the twisted sisters. On a wet drizzly day. There was a pretty large group of us, you can check out the ride report if you like on motocampers.com (texas hills & thrills thread). Planning on making a few trips up into Arkansas and Oklahoma fly fishing this Spring and Summer, then maybe the grown-up mountains this Fall, to either New Mexico or Colorado. That's why I'm looking at the BIG bags. I kind of like the black vinyl (fake leather) look, but I like those on your's and Annie's bike also (my bike is the "candy diamond red"), maybe that's why I like your colors. Anyway, thanks to you both for your advise/opinion/help.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
welcome... if you do choose to match the candy diamond red ( mine too ) be aware that kawi doesnt list color numbers...and the only way you can match it is by eyeball... or going to 'colorite" for their version of the match. The colorite paint on my set is a little bit off... a tad bluer than than the original red. looks ok but to a purist, maybe black is the way to go... :)

Annie

We did make the twisted sisters. On a wet drizzly day. There was a pretty large group of us, you can check out the ride report if you like on motocampers.com (texas hills & thrills thread). Planning on making a few trips up into Arkansas and Oklahoma fly fishing this Spring and Summer, then maybe the grown-up mountains this Fall, to either New Mexico or Colorado. That's why I'm looking at the BIG bags. I kind of like the black vinyl (fake leather) look, but I like those on your's and Annie's bike also (my bike is the "candy diamond red"), maybe that's why I like your colors. Anyway, thanks to you both for your advise/opinion/help.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Those are great looking bags Annie. I saw a pic of the big bags recently, I think. They looked like they should be called big, wide bags, adding another 6" more to each side of the bike. Bad news if you ever have to "thread the needle"

- K

1 - 13 of 13 Posts