Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used the Tsukayu Batwing GPS Fairing with Full Stereo (6" x 9" Waterproof Speakers) on their 900 Custom? http://www.tsukayu.com/Bike_Kawasaki_Vulcan9.html I have seen on here other members with the Memphis Shades batwing fairing and a few with the Tsukayu, but I am interested in feedback on the TEAC GPS stereo (Model TE-268). http://www.tsukayu.com/AudioSystem GPSFairing.html You have to purchase the maps separately from another vendor but I wonder how good the Teac unit is. In the past (way past like the 70s & early 80s - yeah I'm old) Teac had some of the best audiophile equipment out there but I don't see much feedback on this unit. Anyone have any input?
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
I have not seen one on this forum , certainly not on a custom, which has a different size headlight and mounting brackets than the 900 classic .... I would be calling the company to see if they have any pics of this mounted to a custom as there are none it their gallery.
For the dough they charge, you want it to look "fitted" and OEM looking, not just "jimmied "on.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
There are a few 900's out there with it. There is, or was, a white and pink 900 in the gallery that I've actually seen in person. It was sitting in the used motorcycle lot at my local dealer. The fairing looked decent. There's not a lot of extra charging capacity on that bike so don't expect to be really cranking onto it with extra amps, etc.

But, unfortunately, I've not seen anyone on this forum with that setup.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Geo.. chanoc1077 has one on his 1500.. it looks good and he says it worx muey bueno! ping him for commentary. poncho

·
Living The Dream
1,515 Posts
There are a few 900's out there with it. There is, or was, a white and pink 900 in the gallery that I've actually seen in person. It was sitting in the used motorcycle lot at my local dealer. The fairing looked decent. There's not a lot of extra charging capacity on that bike so don't expect to be really cranking onto it with extra amps, etc.

But, unfortunately, I've not seen anyone on this forum with that setup.
Can't speak to the fairing. But I have a 4 channel 2000w amp setup up to push my 4 bar mounted speakers. Still running the stock stator, and charging system seems to keep up fine. My kuryakyn battery meter runs in the green even at idle. I have quite a few other accessories as well. Just saying.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Can't speak to the fairing. But I have a 4 channel 2000w amp setup up to push my 4 bar mounted speakers. Still running the stock stator, and charging system seems to keep up fine. My kuryakyn battery meter runs in the green even at idle. I have quite a few other accessories as well. Just saying.
Amps are NOTORIOUS for severely over-estimated output. Somewhere there should be an RMS output which is going to be a down to earth number, like 90 watts, which is what your actual output is.

I had accessories on mine too. Point being, large car amplifiers and the like are going to suck a lot of juice. There are plenty of car amps out there that will require a larger alternator and a bigger battery on a CAR; and a stock alternator on a sub-compact from China is still much more powerful than the anemic charging system of the 900.

A decently powerful car head unit is probably the limit for a stereo setup; alternatively, one of a number of motorcycle amplifiers.

Given the inefficiencies that go into the voltage stepping and switching in an amplifier (22 watts RMS is the max on 12 volts; so amps have to do some fancy footwork to get more power, by stepping up the voltage and drawing more amps); if your Amp was actually 2,000 watts (or even CLOSE to it) It would be drawing around 300~330 amps. So unless you mounted a pair of aftermarket diesel truck alternators onto your 900; it's not running anywhere NEAR that. The reality is, it's probably somewhere in the 45w of actual power range; like most amps. They just all advertise differently because, well, their job is to separate the money from you and your wallet. There you're looking at 7.5 amps. Look at the fuse on your amp. It's probably a 7.5 or 10 amp fuse. If it is, you're around the 45~90 watt total power range. There might also be an "RMS" rating on the amp that could be accurate, which will give realistic power.

The 900 has about 6 or 7 amps of extra electrical power, if I remember correctly, according to the manual. Which is plenty for charging a few devices, running lights, etc. And even your amp, since even it's actual 7.5 amp power rating is only at high volumes and only when the music is really 'hitting'. The battery can provide a buffer in the meantime. Easy to test whether you've overloaded the charging system or not (run accessories and check charging voltage).

Back in the 60's when everyone had these "high powered V8's" (which actually put out just a smidge more than a modern 4 cylinder), the manufacturers dyno'd the engines at the crank with no air filter, no accessory belt, no water pump, no exhaust, and sometimes even on modified fuels. Blew the engines up but for the moment it ran, they got some sort of a power number. Which explains why that "500 horsepower" muscle car puts out 200 horsepower at the rear wheels. Eventually the industry shifted and standardization required accessories, exhaust, air filter, etc., to be installed when dynoing the engine.

In much the same way, amps are frequently tested by ramming current in and measuring the output at the first fraction-of-a-fraction-of-a-fraction of a second, which is the Peak Music Power Output, or PMPO. That's your 2,000 watts. The reality is, actual power output is often as little as 5 or 10% of PMPO. High end, professional grade amps (whether home theater, car, or PA) will often advertise a much lower watt output than consumer grade stuff. The reason is they are being sold to consumers who are a little more informed and won't fall for the marketing gimmick of peak output; so they advertise the RMS power ratings. The reality is those "300 watt" professional amps are putting out several times more power than the "5,000 watt" consumer grade amp.

·
Living The Dream
1,515 Posts
Amps are NOTORIOUS for severely over-estimated output. Somewhere there should be an RMS output which is going to be a down to earth number, like 90 watts, which is what your actual output is.

I had accessories on mine too. Point being, large car amplifiers and the like are going to suck a lot of juice. There are plenty of car amps out there that will require a larger alternator and a bigger battery on a CAR; and a stock alternator on a sub-compact from China is still much more powerful than the anemic charging system of the 900.

A decently powerful car head unit is probably the limit for a stereo setup; alternatively, one of a number of motorcycle amplifiers.

Given the inefficiencies that go into the voltage stepping and switching in an amplifier (22 watts RMS is the max on 12 volts; so amps have to do some fancy footwork to get more power, by stepping up the voltage and drawing more amps); if your Amp was actually 2,000 watts (or even CLOSE to it) It would be drawing around 300~330 amps. So unless you mounted a pair of aftermarket diesel truck alternators onto your 900; it's not running anywhere NEAR that. The reality is, it's probably somewhere in the 45w of actual power range; like most amps. They just all advertise differently because, well, their job is to separate the money from you and your wallet. There you're looking at 7.5 amps. Look at the fuse on your amp. It's probably a 7.5 or 10 amp fuse. If it is, you're around the 45~90 watt total power range. There might also be an "RMS" rating on the amp that could be accurate, which will give realistic power.

The 900 has about 6 or 7 amps of extra electrical power, if I remember correctly, according to the manual. Which is plenty for charging a few devices, running lights, etc. And even your amp, since even it's actual 7.5 amp power rating is only at high volumes and only when the music is really 'hitting'. The battery can provide a buffer in the meantime. Easy to test whether you've overloaded the charging system or not (run accessories and check charging voltage).

Back in the 60's when everyone had these "high powered V8's" (which actually put out just a smidge more than a modern 4 cylinder), the manufacturers dyno'd the engines at the crank with no air filter, no accessory belt, no water pump, no exhaust, and sometimes even on modified fuels. Blew the engines up but for the moment it ran, they got some sort of a power number. Which explains why that "500 horsepower" muscle car puts out 200 horsepower at the rear wheels. Eventually the industry shifted and standardization required accessories, exhaust, air filter, etc., to be installed when dynoing the engine.

In much the same way, amps are frequently tested by ramming current in and measuring the output at the first fraction-of-a-fraction-of-a-fraction of a second, which is the Peak Music Power Output, or PMPO. That's your 2,000 watts. The reality is, actual power output is often as little as 5 or 10% of PMPO. High end, professional grade amps (whether home theater, car, or PA) will often advertise a much lower watt output than consumer grade stuff. The reason is they are being sold to consumers who are a little more informed and won't fall for the marketing gimmick of peak output; so they advertise the RMS power ratings. The reality is those "300 watt" professional amps are putting out several times more power than the "5,000 watt" consumer grade amp.
To be honest I stopped reading after you said "Amps are Notorious". Kind of information overload on this fine Monday morning. You must have an Eidetic Memory to be able to spew out all that technical jargon at any given time.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
To be honest I stopped reading after you said "Amps are Notorious". Kind of information overload on this fine Monday morning. You must have an Eidetic Memory to be able to spew out all that technical jargon at any given time.
Okay, tl;dr: Your amp is probably actually about 45 watts and in no danger of overloading the system like a much larger car amp with a higher RMS. The wattage on the box is a lie.

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
well, I read it all ... and actually learned something.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
I looked into the Tsukayu fairing but don't like how the headlight opening is squared off, rather than rounded to match the circular form of the headlight. I do like their options for quick release, etc., but that's not enough to get me over the dislike for the headlight opening. Tsukayu has pics on 900's:

http://www.tsukayu.com/DetachableFairing_Gallery1.html#K

·
Registered
894 Posts
@ Jorge: per your original inquiry, I did a lot of research (web browsing with a purpose) about fairings in particular the fairings with the capability of mounting a stereo on them. The best option for my needs ended up being a Tsuakyu and , once chosen, I dove into more research about past experiences with the fairing and the electronics they sell with it.Out of that I ended up concluding, from a lot of input, that the electronics aren't that great, in particular the speakers. most of the bad comments I found were about crappy electronic (most of them stereos of various levels of priceand the spkrs in particular) adn most of those reviewers ended up replacing the equipment for other brands.
I ended up purchasing the fairing w/o electronics and purchase them separately, very happy with the end result, just a little more hassle on ordering and more work on the install.
Never research the gps cause I believe smatphone apps can do most of the work a gps does so I followed some advice and will rely on my phone, MyMaps and my wits, the best places and more interestings roads I've found we're when I was a little lost.

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
In all of those pics the fairing looks well, I will say it .... goofy. The angle of the fairing is just plan wrong, it sits high and forward, I wont even go into the headlight square on a round headlight. Considering the sub has a custom, all the pics are of 900 classics. I think it would look even worse on a custom. Everything is form vs function, it may have the function, it sure does not have the form. This is what happens when one size fits all .... with different mounting brackets.

It may look good on other models , but IMHO, on a 900 .... FAIL.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is what I love about this forum - the input. Thanks to everyone for what they have to say.

Romans: Is right on about the ratings for amps and the "fishing story" specs that the manufacturers put on their equipment. No disrespect to DeputyLoud but I suspect if you found the RMS ratings and did the math your output may be a shade under the 2000 watts. At any rate as long as you are happy with it - who cares.

Whiting57: I took a second look at the fairing after your comment about the angle being wrong. I didn't see it before as I looked at some of the pictures and not all of them. True several of the pictures (even though they are Classics not the Custom) the angle seems a bit steep. On some of the other pictures the angle seems more docile and better looking. I am on the fence about the squared off opening for the headlight but I do believe that a rounded opening would look much better unless I replaced the headlight. However, I don't like the looks of the square or rectangle headlights that I have seen on bikes. Just looks wrong.

Chanoc1077: I'm doing the same as you on the research part. I am not totally satisficed on the electronics that Tsukayu uses for the audio portion of the fairing. They seem the best bet so far as it is the inner and outer fairing but I am going to expand my research a bit more. First I am pretty handy with electronics, so I can adapt most anything the way that I want it. I don't like the 6x9 openings that Tsukayu has as I prefer the 51/4 or 6" size speakers. There are a lot of marine grade speakers and sound systems (visit boating sites) that you can get.

I'm starting to look at some of the manufacturers for HD, like Bad Dad, Azzkickers and such. If I can find something with a 7" headlight opening that may do the trick. All of it boils down to money as well. The Ysukayu being 50% is a huge temptation hence the value of Chanoc1077 input since he has one. I can build and chrome my own mounting brackets if I have too so this may turn into a winter-over project instead of a weekend job.

Thanks again from the crew and if you have any further suggestions please let me know.

·
Living The Dream
1,515 Posts
Never denied any specs and of course true RMS data is always different than claimed wattage on amps. All I know is it really pushes and doesn't distort. Factual data means nothing to me as long as it sounds good! :D

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
DeputyLoud: Exactly. As long as it works great. Especially without the distortion since, on the bike, you have to turn it up loud! ;)

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
Whiting57: I took a second look at the fairing after your comment about the angle being wrong. I didn't see it before as I looked at some of the pictures and not all of them. True several of the pictures (even though they are Classics not the Custom) the angle seems a bit steep. On some of the other pictures the angle seems more docile and better looking. I am on the fence about the squared off opening for the headlight but I do believe that a rounded opening would look much better unless I replaced the headlight. However, I don't like the looks of the square or rectangle headlights that I have seen on bikes. Just looks wrong.

VS the Memphis shades batwing ...

I would save a bunch of dough, buy a MS batwing, a smart phone, a great set of ear buds and listen to Pandora .... but it does come down to personal choices.

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts

I would save a bunch of dough, buy a MS batwing, a smart phone, a great set of ear buds and listen to Pandora .... but it does come down to personal choices.
If you look at all the pics of this particular bike on the website, the second to last pic where it's a full on side view, the fairing looks like it's about 10-12" above the light. I just looks all wrong. Horrible. For the costs of that fairing vs. the looks of that fairing I wouldn't waste my money on it personally.

While the MS batwing is a nice fairing for the "one size fits most" market, I haven't been too impressed with those either. I realize they both are patterned after the Hardley fairings but for the cost of the MS batwing, and the mounting brackets etc, there are more economical options out there...such as used Hardley fairings and fabricating your own brackets if you are so able to do.

I was able to find on eBay a fiberglass fairing that was made for the Vulcan 1600 with brackets and 2 windshields (one tinted and one clear) that I think I can adapt to my 900 Bagger Project (also a Custom) which unlike the MS batwing, this has an inner fairing like the Tsukayu, with all of the openings for speakers and stereo. Some marine grade speakers and an inexpensive media receiver head unit (basically everything but a CD player, but who plays cd's anymore?) which is more shallow with the lack of CD Player and for less than half the cost of the Tsukayu, better form AND function.

The only thing I like about the Tsukayu fairing over the MS is the fact that the MS is plastic vs. the Tsukayu being fiberglass which if there ever is a mishap can be fixed fairly easily (depending on the mishap) where the plastic one would me much harder if at all possible.

Just my .02

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
If you look at all the pics of this particular bike on the website, the second to last pic where it's a full on side view, the fairing looks like it's about 10-12" above the light
I saw that when I originally looked at the pics .... its a optical illusion, took me a while to figure it out ... from the side its the passing light you see, not the headlight. It just looks wrong to me ... for that sought of dough I would want something that looks "form fitted", and not like its been stuck on the front of the bike.

fabricating your own brackets if you are so able to do.
unfortunately non fabricating "nudniks" like me do not have the tools nor the skills to do fabricating work ... I marvel at what some folks can do and make, unfortunately I am not one of them, hence the "bought products".

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
just like carbs, capacitors and points, its time to lose the Ol skool garbage

all the fuss about stereo systems to garbage up your bike with abundant wiring, weight, cost and everything that can go wrong.. will.

the best solution for tooning in and tooning out is Blue Tooth earbuds (I have hearing aids) that pair with your Iphone.. you can have as much or as little (none) noise in yor ride.. including eliminating wind, engine, road noise.

eliminate all that krap you guys put on yor sleds. when you get off the bike, the tech gear goes with you. when you get another bike, the tech gear goes with you.. get the drift? bilt in stereo systems are as old as 60s dinosaurs..
just cause your bike is one, doesn't mean yor gear has to be. poncho

·
Registered
894 Posts
I can add that I went the stereo + speakers way, cause I feel uncomfortable with ear buds after a while and I did get a good qlty stereo (Sony marine media player) and faily good qlty skrs ( infinity marine grade 6.5") and the sound is awesome 4 up to 60 mph on back roads (less road noise) and for up to 50 mph on the slab (road noise is a bitch here) but that speed just applies if you commute in heavy traffic areas/hours. I am on the process of giving earbuds another chance and knowing I have to do a search for the right fit and ones that isolate road/pipes noise enough not to use hearing damaging volume levels.
So what I am saying is both have issues to consider.
Ponch's last comments are particularly true, in the sense that every time you get off the bike you worry about people messing and/or stealing your sound sys/bike cause the stereo makes it more enticing. There's also the massive sound/ noise (depending on yur music choise) you bring to every stop sign and light cause you have to kranck up the volume to overshadow your pipes and wind noise.
Just more crap to considered.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts