Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my bags back from the paint shop. I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out the weatherstripping on the lid. Anybody got links, pics,
Or suggestions?

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
For which scoot?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1700 classic. I'll have pics tomorrow. I think I have the weatherstripping figured out. I'll have to take another crack in the morning.

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
I found this in the VTX forum... I have no idea if this will help, but I'll post in case it applies.

"gluing the weather seals on is a terribly difficult job. It is harder than everything else put together. To fit right, I first had to cut off about a 1/2" wide strip of the felt lining on the inside lip of the bags. Then I had to scrape and sand this strip to remove all the glue and get down to bare fiberglass on which to adhere the first weather stripping. I then sanded the outside lip of the bag to remove the new paint/clear coat to better allow the adhesion of the seather stripping. I then used automotive weather stripping adhesive from 3M to adhere this weather striping. This is a type of contact cement where you have to apply the adhesive to both parts being adhered. This was easy to apply to the inside and outside of the bag lip but near impossible to apply to the inside of the U-shaped weather stripping. I made a mess last night and now this morning the 3M adhesive is like steel. I am afraid I have made an ugly mess around some of the weather stripping. I don't know what, if any glue would work better but this stuff was a nightmare."

Full thread here:
Question for Tsukayu Bag Owners [Archive] - Honda VTX forums for Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 motorcycles

·
Registered
547 Posts
I got my bags back from the paint shop. I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out the weatherstripping on the lid. Anybody got links, pics,
Or suggestions?
Giant PITA. We were short on the rubber seal length by about 2" on each bag when we first did it. Looked like hell but was functional. Son dropped the bike and when we went to the body shop we told them to do ALL the work. Including the weather seals. The body shop used stuff that was generally available to them as they do this for a living. Looks great and works and reduced the PITA effort to zero.

I would spend the money!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts