Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I tried posting this thread a week ago, and it disappeared into limbo. I don't have a copy of all that I wrote, so here's an abbreviation.

I have a 2003 EN500 that was "running" previously, but had a cracked intake camshaft, and a dead cylinder as a result.

I put a replacement top end on the bike, but it still doesn't run right, and I think the cam timing is off. I've tried to follow the service manual instructions exactly, but could use your help figuring out where it went wrong.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you inspect/replace the valves? It is very possible that one or more of the valves are bent. Perform a compression test and report back.
!! The thread got posted!

Hi Bikerbill, thank you for the suggestions!

Here is some more context: the old engine top end had a valve adjustment bolt back out, and then get crushed under the intake cam lobe, thus shearing the camshaft. I replaced the entire top end with a used one from eBay, with matching head, valves, and cams. I have only visually inspected the replacement valves, but they appear fine.

I also ran a compression test, and the cylinders had around 150 psi each. If I go back to do it again I'll record the exact numbers, because I believe they differed about 20 psi.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Can you take a picture of the timing marks on the cams and the crank position as the service manual illustrates?
Sure thing!

Here's what it looks like with the crank at 'C' or piston #2 TDC. You can see the exhaust cam line is about 2mm above the surface of the head, and the intake cam line is a little below.. I can bump both back one tooth and then it's the other way around: intake line above, and exhaust line just below.

edit: Oh, cute, the images are upside down. Here they are right side up: https://imgur.com/a/pZPGQTt

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess this project has stalled out. I can try taking some better pictures if it'll help anyone help me, but otherwise I'm looking at reassembly and sale as-is.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts