Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get a trunk on my Custom.

Can you guys recommend a setup that has a trunk attached to a rack that works? I am considering something bigger - being able to lock 2 helmets would be great.

I poked around and there seem to be many different trunks, from Givi to something like this:

http://auto.sears.com/Product.htm?catalogId=10624&productId=2022700

Is there stuff to avoid that disappointed you - like locks not working well, attachment problems...? Or does it just boil down to sturdiness, lining and that kind of stuff?

I would prefer a setup without a sissy bar. How can I get a rack-only setup? Or would it be better to have a sissy bar in front of the trunk?

Any advice, comments or pictures are very much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
I want to get a trunk on my Custom.

Can you guys recommend a setup that has a trunk attached to a rack that works? I am considering something bigger - being able to lock 2 helmets would be great.

I poked around and there seem to be many different trunks, from Givi to something like this:

http://auto.sears.com/Product.htm?catalogId=10624&productId=2022700

Is there stuff to avoid that disappointed you - like locks not working well, attachment problems...? Or does it just boil down to sturdiness, lining and that kind of stuff?

I would prefer a setup without a sissy bar. How can I get a rack-only setup? Or would it be better to have a sissy bar in front of the trunk?

Any advice, comments or pictures are very much appreciated.
Try this site, a great selection of bags, batwing fairings and touring trunks, you could also try jc whitney as they have a selection as well. Cheers Maurice

http://www.tsukayu.com/TouringTrunk.htm

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
GIVI makes the best hard luggage out there. I use it on my ZR-1100. Nothing breaks, and it looks nice. However, many cruiser owners want a more "cruiser" looking trunk. If you like Givi, get the 52 liter trunk bag with brake light. You can put two helmets in it. If you want a more sculpted look, I like what Corbin sells. If you look on this page, you can see what they sell for Kawasaki cruisers. The 900 LT has a choice of two different size trunks. I really like how these look:

http://www.corbin.com/kawasaki/vmenu.shtml

Tsukayu also makes one or more trunks, just do a web search for their site. Several other companies make various trunks as well, but they are not going to be as big as the larger Corbin or the 52 liter Givi.

The only possible drawback to the Givi is that the rack for it is cast aluminum, powder coated black, and you will want to see what the mounting kit looks like for your bike to see if you like it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any experience with the BESTEM hard trunks?

I like the 929 model (the large one), would like to get some feedback if you have that one or similar...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Ah, top boxes on the 900. I tried doing that and was very disappointed. Here's what happened.

I bought the Cobra luggage rack and back rest for the 900 Classic. When it came in there was a note in the package saying it was rated for only 7lbs or so. I figured that was lawyer-speak for "don't put your baby on here and go 100mph." Then I bought the big Givi-look-a-like top box from JC Whitney. Got it all together and tried it out for a couple months on my daily commute. So far, so good. I tested it with as much as 20lbs on occasion but my commute was only 13 miles one-way and no freeway. It seemed to be fine with no signs of overload, bouncing or failure.

Then I took the bike on a long, 5000 mile round trip ride that included several days of 80mph freeways. The top box was loaded up with about 30 lbs total. By day three the Cobra rack was showing a crack line and the whole top box was beginning to sit further down and at an angle. Uh, oh. By the end of day four the Cobra has cracked all the way through on one side and the other side was starting a new crack. The next morning I removed the top box and luggage rack, repacked the bike with what would fit and left a couple unnecessary things in the parking lot, with the top box, for anyone to take home.

I still want a top box for commuting and long trips but I have to find a sturdy luggage rack to hold it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What you are describing sounds like it was caused primarily by a Cobra rack failure. I never owned any Cobra stuff but the word around here goes that it should be quality stuff. I dunno...

Did not you have a problem with the trunk lid hitting the backrest?

I am looking at getting a rack-only setup with an option to add a backrest later (once I see how it all fits together). I do not want to have to mount the trunk too far in the back (if the sissybar gets in the way) as that can probably lead to cracks in the rack, I suppose...

I found a Custom World rack that can (but does not have to) take on the backrest itself. They sell a few alternative racks and backrests that you can mix and match. Seems OK if it would work, not sure...

http://store.valueaccessories.net/backrestmountinghardwaresetforsquareandtubularsissybarsfitsvn900classicandcustom06.aspx

Anyone has the Custom World rack and sissy bar who can comment?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yeah, the Cobra rack failed catastrophically and caused me to leave my top box behind on that trip. (No place to put it without the Cobra rack.) I just looked at the trunk mount kits from Scootworks and sent them a question. They say they're good for much more than 30 lbs. $270 ain't cheap but it might be the answer I'm looking for. I think my only other option is to make one myself. Of course, it wouldn't look as purty as theirs!

Oh yeah, I took the Cobra back rest off the bike so the JC Whitney trunk wouldn't hit it when I opened it. That trunk has a built-in back rest pad anyway so it was fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts