Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
It's no so much how heavy a weight the rack will hold... It's how much weight you're prepared to put on the four mounting points in the ABS plastic lid. Kaw doesn't list a rack for the Voyager, probably through fear of claims for cracking around the mount points.

Having said that - I have a rack on mine. It's a copy of Yamaha's Venture rack, which provides a bit of support above & below the mounting points. I'm not familiar with the CWI rack.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Do anyone have the Custom World International trunk rack installed? http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/arrow-style-trunk-rack-chrome-kawasaki-vn1700-vulcan-voyager-models-09-12/part/CWI-02-4302 How much weight the trunk rack hold?
I agree with Peg, it depends on how much weight you are willing to risk putting on your ABS plastic trunk lid.

I put the Cobra trunk rack on my Voyager, similar design as the CWI you are looking at but made from steel. The CWI is aluminum so it will be lighter. That means more payload, and also less stress you your cable that holds the trunk open. That is a weak point in my opinion. If you open the trunk and let it fall against the cable then the cable (or more likely the attach point) could fail over time.

I don't think I'll put more than the 10 pounds recommended on my Cobra rack, but that should be enough for my purposes. I like the shiny stuff so I put it on for looks as much as utility.

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
I have the Kuryakyn Multi-Rack on my Voyager trunk. The ABS plastic is so thin that it spider cracked at all four mountain points. The cable attaching point on the trunk failed also. What surprised me most was the the passenger back rest attaching points all failed. The pad pulled right out. Kawasaki claimed that the trunk was overloaded and therefore too bad. I reinforced the trunk lid with fiberglass. I put a claim in on the backrest attacking points but the dealer concentrated more on the other issues. IMO I think the dealer gets a kickback if they can write up a claim so as to give Kawasaki half an excuse to deny it. After all look how cheap they were to only clear coat the tank and nothing else. The rest of the paint is so thin that just about bird crap will chip it. I have a Triumph Thunderbird that is clear coated all over. I had a Honda VTX 1300 that was too. Probably the 3 yr warranty is worthless. Look at the trunk and saddle bags on other bikes, the ABS is a lot thicker giving them more strength. Live and learn. I'll never buy another Kawasaki product.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I have the showchrome rack for Goldwings on mine. Came with a matching bag where I put 2 sets of rain gear, bike cover, and small stuff in the two front pockets. Not much weight but saves space in the saddlebags.

I have a spare "new" trunk lid hanging on the wall just in case I ever crack it, but at 50,000 miles and no issues...

I am very careful how I open and close the trunk lid on the bike, and don't overload the interior of the trunk to put stress on the lid when latching. Clothes go in the trunk.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I have the Kuryakyn Multi-Rack on my Voyager trunk. The ABS plastic is so thin that it spider cracked at all four mountain points. The cable attaching point on the trunk failed also. What surprised me most was the the passenger back rest attaching points all failed. The pad pulled right out. Kawasaki claimed that the trunk was overloaded and therefore too bad. I reinforced the trunk lid with fiberglass. I put a claim in on the backrest attacking points but the dealer concentrated more on the other issues. IMO I think the dealer gets a kickback if they can write up a claim so as to give Kawasaki half an excuse to deny it. After all look how cheap they were to only clear coat the tank and nothing else. The rest of the paint is so thin that just about bird crap will chip it. I have a Triumph Thunderbird that is clear coated all over. I had a Honda VTX 1300 that was too. Probably the 3 yr warranty is worthless. Look at the trunk and saddle bags on other bikes, the ABS is a lot thicker giving them more strength. Live and learn. I'll never buy another Kawasaki product.
Sounds like someone overtightened the mounting bolts to me. The plastic is flexible instead of brittle like the plastics from 20 years ago. I do agree that the paint could be a LOT better though.

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
I have the showchrome rack for Goldwings on mine. Came with a matching bag where I put 2 sets of rain gear, bike cover, and small stuff in the two front pockets. Not much weight but saves space in the saddlebags.

I have a spare "new" trunk lid hanging on the wall just in case I ever crack it, but at 50,000 miles and no issues...

I am very careful how I open and close the trunk lid on the bike, and don't overload the interior of the trunk to put stress on the lid when latching. Clothes go in the trunk.
How did you come by a spare lid? From a wreck? I've been looking for one. The whole new trunk is $1300++

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Passenger pulling on the backrest while mounting the bike? Seems like the vibration dampers would make it unlikely for the backrest to pull through. I even have the tall backrest on mine.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Got my spare lid from someone who got rear ended, got new trunk, and put his old lid on it because he already had the rack. Then he totalled the bike and sold me the lid.

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
I wouldn't put more than 10 pounds on the top of these Voyager trunks due to THIN plastic.

The Yamaha trunk rack that I have had on my Venture I think is the best trunk rack out there. It has chrome support strips that go on top of the trunk and bottom in the trunk to help support the 4 posts.

I did not buy a Venture rack for my Voyager but I did have some chrome metal strips that I did the same thing with. I also glued thin strips of rubber to the underneath side of the chrome strips like the Venture rack had. It should not cause cracks and would definitely not pull or fall through the plastic.... I also have TWO trunk cables to hold it when it is open instead of one. I have it doubled up. If that cable ever breaks and the lid falls over it would rip the side of the trunk right off the motorcycle. The thickness of the plastic on the Venture trunk was more than double that of the Voyager... I probably had 30 pounds of gear in the large rack bag I had on it. I had replaced the stock hinge supports with two gas struts. It did not have a support cable. Did not need it. But is opened from the back.

I also ground the bottom of the posts so it would be the same angle as where it touched the trunk... I can see where if that angle is not the same it could pull and break through the plastic if you over tighten the bolts. Thay do not need to be overly tight to start with. Just a good snug...

DSCN1786.jpg

·
Registered
6 Posts
Did anyone use Loctite on the mounting bolts?

·
Registered
6 Posts
The only reason I ask about Loctite is that it is not to be used around abs. It will cause the type of spider cracks and pull throughs that pilot747 mentioned. Loctite will eat abs. When pilot mentioned that all attachment points failed including cable and passenger backrest it made me wonder about the possibility of Loctite having been used. Maybe not in his case but seemed like a good time to pass along a reminder that it will destroy plastic and not a good place to use it with all the abs on our bikes.

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/t_lkr_blue/overview/Loctite-Threadlocker-Blue-242.htm

below taken from the above Loctite site

Not Recommended For
Use in pure oxygen and/or oxygen rich systems and should not be selected as a sealant for chlorine or other strong oxidizing materials
Use on plastic parts, particularly thermoplastic materials where stress cracking of the plastic could result

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
I did use loctite. Damn! A lesson learned. Expensive one at that. Eventually I'll have to replace the trunk. I'll keep looking for one off a wreck. If I have to paint it I'll have it clear coated though.

·
Registered
126 Posts
got a HD rack, part number from another thread. it's chrome, steel, heavy.
only strap on light stuff
keep to weight limits for saddlebags and trunk. no problems so far.
front fender got a paint chip somehow. thin paint, really?

·
Registered
717 Posts
I remember someone else posting about the Loctite issue after their trunk also fell to pieces as a result of using it... Perhaps their should be a "sticky" warning somewhere?

The rack by itself is heavier than I like hanging off that one single trunk wire, so I'll only rarely ever leave the lid open if it's unsupported. The hinges are flimsy, and leverage on them from the weight of the lid is significant. The only things I'm comfortable strapping to that rack are a bike cover, and our over-pants... Anything that might get wet stays outside.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts