Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one had trouble with getting fairings or other pieces painted to match the OEM paint .. I have a Memphis shades batwing I want to paint to match my bike ,my bike is the candy imperial blue the paint shop I took it too said kawasaki doesn't release their coat numbers so getting it to match would be difficult he also can't get the paint and recommended I buy from color rite which is gonna cost me over 200 bucks plus what he charges to do a 3 stage paint job .. Just seems like a little much for just a small fairing . Anyone else have any problems in the OEM paint department ?

·
BOTM Winner, December 2013
1,172 Posts
all i can say is take it to a different shop.....any competent shop can at least accomplish a match that is equal or better than color-rong

FYI automotive paints and shop time are expensive.....want it done cheep buy a spray bomb and diy........

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have been wondering about what it would cost to paint a batwing also. Still deciding if I should buy one or not and the cost to paint it to match my bike is one thing I am taking into consideration.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
With me buying the paint and then getting it sprayed its gonna be 600, but I'm goin to take it to a differnt shop in a few days and see of they can do any better .. If not I'm buying a spray gun and doing it myself

·
Banned
593 Posts
Any one had trouble with getting fairings or other pieces painted to match the OEM paint .. I have a Memphis shades batwing I want to paint to match my bike ,my bike is the candy imperial blue the paint shop I took it too said kawasaki doesn't release their coat numbers so getting it to match would be difficult he also can't get the paint and recommended I buy from color rite which is gonna cost me over 200 bucks plus what he charges to do a 3 stage paint job .. Just seems like a little much for just a small fairing . Anyone else have any problems in the OEM paint department ?
$200 for paint sounds pretty reasonable to me . . .

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
all i can say is take it to a different shop.....any competent shop can at least accomplish a match that is equal or better than color-rong

FYI automotive paints and shop time are expensive.....want it done cheep buy a spray bomb and diy........
Plus 1 ... find one with a scanner or that has the paint codes ... they are readily avail to paint shops. For my classic, fairing and bags .. two tone with pinstriping .. $699. My trailer same price ... my custom two fairings ... $400

Look around you, will get what you want. Btw ... give them the front fender to color match the mix.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Im on the road till sat, I will pm you when I have access to my computor vs using my my phone ... im a lousy typist.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I was looking at using Dupont paint and had them run the scanner for a paint match, the best it could match was 47% and this was at 3 different places. As bad as it cost have to use color rite for the paint, yes it is pricey, but matches. still thinking about painting the whole thing a different color

·
Megatron
181 Posts
I bought an '08 1500 classic in 2010. The first thing I did was to paint the side covers to match the rest of the bike. It cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $200 to by the spray cans from Color Rite. Needed to buy base color finish color and clear coat for both the white and red colors. It definately did not come out to be a perfect match by any means. I think this was due to the rate of spray/ amount of paint applied for each coat. If I was just a bit more anal I might have tried starting from scratch again but unless you are looking for it you don't notice the slight color difference.
The bottom line..... until Kawasaki decides to buy paint from a better/cheaper supplier we're stuck with paying through the nose for paint from the sole source supplier.

·
1,172 Posts
kawasaki does not buy its paint from color rite.............and as far as other matches dupont aint the only game in town as a matter of fact dupont only has harley codes in its system and according to their reps have no interest in mc colors .......RM (basf) has mc colors (have used oem codes from honda and yamaha).....and my shop uses nexxa autocolor(ppg) has tons of mc colors as well incl kawasaki oem colors......sometimes it takes the right paint guy who actually wants to look to be able to find em....

·
Megatron
181 Posts
My dealer must have lied to me when he told me the only place to buy paint for my bike was Color Rite.
Same for autobody suppliers in the area, I checked with 3 different suppliers.
Can't find any thing on the PPG website either.

·
1,172 Posts
not going to find it on the ppg site....very little color info there..... but any shop that uses nexxa autocolor (ppg) and has their own mixing system (as my place of work does) has most mc colors in their color mixing computer...just a matter of wanting to look for them...it may require a color scan and a cross reference with oem codes but hey what do i know... i only paint cars for a living....

R-M (basf) has mc colors in their system as well maybe not all but i personally (ON MY OWN NOT AT MY SHOP) on 2 different occasions painted bikes with honda oem mc colors (bike only colors, not honda car colors) went to the local dupont supplier...oem code was no good to them not in their system went to the R-M (basf) supplier and the code was in their computer....i tell ya i will never paint a complete sportbike in that honda cbr600 orange pearl again.....12 coats....3 white, 3 orange, 3 pearl and then 3 coats of clear.....

and btw the dealer probably didnt lie... he just dont know better

·
Megatron
181 Posts
Thanks for the info Bigworm. Hopefully I won't ever need to buy paint for my bike again but I'll keep this info in mind if I do. Appreciate you setting me straight.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Color Rite site has paint codes for my 2010 900LT. The price for a quart of paint is $197.25. Pints($124.95) and half pints($86.95) are also available. I can't see a batwing fairing taking more than 1/2 pint, but "big worm" would be the expert on that...
Of course, it ain't that easy. There's the primer, base coat, color coat and clear coat to consider. And in my case, matching pin-stripes.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I'm currently getting my tank repaired and painted , I couldn't see spending 98.00 for a half pint of color rite paint either. My 95 is a Pearl greenish black mica , a local automotive paint store came up with a match for 30.00 a half pint. This is a BASF paint , they had there lower end paint or there good stuff ( both BASF paints ), I went with there good stuff thats called Diamont.
I took my tank to a local place that does car restoration's , hot rods and customs. There painter told me he prefers a base coat / clear coat VS the 1 stage color rite had for my bike.
They quoted me 180.00 to fix the dent in my tank and paint it , I should have it this week or next, so will see.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Well got my tank back today ,total cost including paint , clear and labor to repair came to 308.30. It's overcast , dark and flurrying out today , indoor shots was all I could take so comparing the before and after is not the best comparison.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts