Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for answers concerning my 2003 Vulcan 1600. After sitting most of the winter, I go to start it up and my battery was dead. I replace the battery and try to start it but was having a lot of difficulty starting it. It would turn over and sounded like it wanted to fire but was not getting there. I noticed the FI light staying on. I played around for a while, added fuel stabilizer. Gave the throttle a couple of turns, and still nothing. I tried the fast idle with not much help there. Finally I was able to get it started by opening the throttle slightly while cranking the starter. The FI light went out. I let it idle for a while then filled up the tank with 93 octane. took it down the mountain and back (about 6 miles). I then added more fuel stabilizer and parked it. I am not sure if it has an EFI regulator. i noticed a small box in the left compartment. I had a little trouble with this last year once. It gave me fits trying to start it. Any suggestions what to look for? Is it common after turning the key to start to have the FI light be red until after it starts?

·
Banned
179 Posts
The little box in the left compartment wouldn't happen to be a Cobra FI2000 or another FI controller would it? If so maybe try taking it off the bike then see if it starts and runs okay. If that helps then maybe a bad programmer is at fault if it still does the same thing then you will need to start checking other items on the bike.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The little box in the left compartment wouldn't happen to be a Cobra FI2000 or another FI controller would it? If so maybe try taking it off the bike then see if it starts and runs okay. If that helps then maybe a bad programmer is at fault if it still does the same thing then you will need to start checking other items on the bike.
Thanks for the reply! I went out this morning to check and it is an FI2000.

This is my first EFI Scooter so I am still not used to this. All of my previous bikes have been Carbed. It started up this morning fine without too much difficulty and it wasn't the warmest out (47 degrees). At this point I am not sure if yesterday was a result of her sitting for that many months. How can I tell if that modulator is doing its job correctly?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is a picture of the controller

Attachments

·
Banned
179 Posts
Yes that is a Cobra 2000FI controller. I have the same unit on my bike. Sounds like it is running okay now so I would most likely think the winter storage took a toll on it. Did you do all the winterizing to it before you locked it away for the winter like adding stabilizer to the gas and running some through etc...? If you just put it away without doing anything to get it ready for a long sit time then that could be the cause of it not wanting to start up and run correctly the first time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes that is a Cobra 2000FI controller. I have the same unit on my bike. Sounds like it is running okay now so I would most likely think the winter storage took a toll on it. Did you do all the winterizing to it before you locked it away for the winter like adding stabilizer to the gas and running some through etc...? If you just put it away without doing anything to get it ready for a long sit time then that could be the cause of it not wanting to start up and run correctly the first time.
Inkydoggy, I would love to tell you that I did everything I was supposed to to winterize the bike. I ended up parking it and thinking I put fuel stabilizer in it but couldn't remember for sure. I am usually good about doing that but this time I couldn't remember. Unfortunately I don't have a garage, so I park it under the rear deck where it stays out of the elements for the most part, but not the cold. I am hoping it is done giving me fits for the season. I did replace the battery with a Duralast Gold AGM Power Sport battery. I think the dealer put the cheapest battery they could find in it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts