Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm down in the black hills on vacation and something happened that never has before. First - I trailered the bike down from Manitoba (wife has a sore back so thot I would be nice this year). Took it for a quick spin when we got here & no problems. Next morning it started fine but idle seemed wonky - would not stay steady at first. Went off to gas up, and then would not start - HORRORS on the first day of vacation. After turning it off and on a few times, and about 7 or 8 tries on the starter it finally started (also noticed the FI display blinking while starting only, but it has stayed off ever since). Took for a test drive, took off the air cleaner and checked for oil - that's not the problem. It has worked fine ever since and put on 250 miles today. So here are my guesses:

- Fouled plugs from being trailered down here??
- Sudden altitude change from being trailered down here and just a short ride from right off the trailer??
- Something wrong somewhere with fuel injection or starting system??
- Any ideas out there.... I hope and pray everything goes fine tomorrow

·
Registered
30 Posts
It's gotta be FI acting out to the altitude change. It must have adjusted itself after a few times. If some FI sensors or ECU burn they don't recover :))

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Trouble starting

Thanks, got it to the dealer - no codes showed up. Turned out to be a bad battery that had a short in it plus it was close to dead as well. Funny thing as it still kept turning over. Low battery with a short in it can do all kinds of weird electrical things. Got me going on very short notice and only took a morning out of my holidays. Back on the curvy roads again.

It's gotta be FI acting out to the altitude change. It must have adjusted itself after a few times. If some FI sensors or ECU burn they don't recover :))

·
Registered
987 Posts
Manitoba boy

Where in Manitoba are you from hockyref? I migrated to Alberta from a little oil town called Virden:cool:

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where am I from

I am from Altona, about 3.5 hours east and a little south from Virden. 5 min from the US border - convenient for ordering stuff from across the line.

Where in Manitoba are you from hockyref? I migrated to Alberta from a little oil town called Virden:cool:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts