Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Appreciate the check-in. I've been practicing almost daily - there's a nice big parking lot behind the local middle school that is completely obstructed from view from the road, so I can feel confident no one is watching. I'm wondering how far apart the lines are on the actual test at the NH DMV - if it's two parking spaces wide I'm in trouble, as the best I've gotten so far is maybe 2.5 spaces wide. I do sort of wish I had a bike that had a lower center of gravity and mid-controls. Although I can reach the ground flat-footed just fine, I feel like this bike is taller than others I've sat on with regard to center of gravity. Of course, my saving grace is that the week after my scheduled DMV test, I'm set to take the MSF Basic Rider Course near me, so if I fail the DMV test, I'll have a shot to pass via certificate from the course, which is done on much smaller bikes that will help build my skills and confidence.
That's what I did. I actually took the course twice to get more comfortable in the low speed maneuvers. I still find myself overthinking right turns from a stop but get a little better with every ride. I had taken the PA riding test and butchered the cones I was so nervous on my new bike. Everything else was smooth as butter.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Happy to report I passed the NH state skills test today. I was assessed 10 penalty points for hitting a couple of little cones on the u-turns, and 10 is the max penalty and still pass. I was so nervous!

·
Registered
2020 Vulcan Voyager
120 Posts
Awesome! Remember, the person that graduates at the bottom of their class in law school is still called Dr. Don't stop learning.

Reactions: whynotme

·
Registered
387 Posts
Congrats....stay in the friction zone, keep a finger on the clutch, I love going slow, slipping the clutch, gently have the mill spinning about 1000-1200 rpm, when your leaning and it feels like your falling, ease out on the clutch, the bike will stay up....you got 2 giant gyroscopes to keep you from landing on your head!

21 - 27 of 27 Posts