Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after a lot beers (best way to start a story) I decided it was a good idea to debadge my 2013 900 classic. In my drunken stupor, I came to realize (after I removed one decal on the fuel tank) that the paint underneath is shiny black. She is flat white and flat black. I have been searching (obviously not in the right place) for the oval decal they used only for this model and cannot find it anywhere. I'd rather keep it debadged, but I'm afraid if I try to clear coat that oval or use the touch up pen it'll look terrible. So should I just replace the decal and leave it alone? Or are there any paint tricks that can make this looks decent. Also another option was replacing the decal with the more classic decal that has the wings. I just can't decide how it'll look on the bike since nothing is shiny. All opinions are welcome and appreciated!

·
Registered
49 Posts
The options could be endless. My wife makes decals so if/when I want to change up the looks of the gas tank I can. If you are a Football fan put your team logo where the decal was

·
Registered
529 Posts
Really glad you posted this, I almost pulled my decal's off. I would never have expected the color to be any different underneath. Here is a suggestion, maybe you could find someone to paint the word "Vulcan" back on in some cool looking lettering or something. You would need a real artist of course.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Really glad you posted this, I almost pulled my decal's off. I would never have expected the color to be any different underneath. Here is a suggestion, maybe you could find someone to paint the word "Vulcan" back on in some cool looking lettering or something. You would need a real artist of course.
Thats not a bad idea at all. I had actually thought about that, but doing it with a decal. my only concern would be that there is no clear coat right there (since it was applied after the decal was put on). but I suppose i could carefully tape it off and clear coat it myself.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Thats not a bad idea at all. I had actually thought about that, but doing it with a decal. my only concern would be that there is no clear coat right there (since it was applied after the decal was put on). but I suppose i could carefully tape it off and clear coat it myself.
Yea, I would take no chances. Tape it off before you take it to the artist, that way there is no question how much room they have to work with. Then when you get it back, shoot a couple coats of clear out of the old spray can and call it done. Anybody that does pin stripes or airbrush could probably wow you. Hell that dude at the mall that makes custom t-shirts could probably do it.

·
Living The Dream
1,515 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks for the post, I was thinking about doing the same as I have the same bike. I'll be honest with you, mine looks like the decal is under clear. I haven't tried real hard, but there is no edge to the sticker that I can tell.

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts