Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Don't know what it is about that bike but I have always been drawn to it. Saw one in person for the first time parked in a parking lot today. I stopped and lusted after it awhile.

Anyone have experience with it and A vulcan 900? I have a 2009 Classic but considered the speedmaster before I purchased it. I just really dig the looks and simplicity of the new model speedmaster. I just got a great deal on my classic so I went that route.

Basically someone tell me the Speedmaster sucks so I don't have to think about it anymore. :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have an '08 900 Classic, and I just bought a wrecked 2010 Bonnie...not the same as a Speedmaster, but close.
Sorry to say, but everyone (and I mean EVERYONE) that sees the Bonnie asks the same question "You're going to keep this one, right?"
Only buzzed it up and down the driveway but it is pretty snotty and very nimble.
It sounds great too, but those Speedmasters have a sound all their own!

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
It sucks! There! :D

At 8200-8500, you should keep your 9. You've got a lot for your money.

I would love to have a Thunderbird!

·
Registered
415 Posts
The only negatives for me would be they are air cooled, and still have a chain drive, they are also 3-4" shorter than our 9's, they weight about the same, gas tanks are equal, looks like they get slightly better gas mileage, there's not alot of upside...i would look at the thunderbird instead......ride on...

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I won't say that the Speedmaster sucks, in fact I've never ridden a Triumph. But I will say that Triumphs have a long history of electrical problems and I ride with a friend on a 2002 Rocket III. Judging by his experience over the past 3 yrs, I'd have to say they still have electrical problems. I've been on two rides with him where he had total electical failure and had to trailer the bike home for repairs. He's also had to run by-passes to get started on several occasions. I have no doubt the Speedmaster is faster than the 9er (Speed is part of it's name!), but I doubt it comes close in reliability. As far as performance; The engine's output is about 5 lbs less than ours but their bike weighs 70 lbs less than the 9er. The Triumph has a bit more Rake/Trail than your Classic (more in line with my Custom) so you should get better cornering in town, the Triumph ( and Custom) will be more stable at highway speeds. I would think the biggest differences would be the look (V vs. Line) and sound.

·
Registered
47 Posts
That's a heck of a deal you got. Where do you find these bargains? Auctions?
That Bonnie is an insurance wreck, that's right...it's totaled by an insurance company. It does have a ding on the tank and a scrape on the fender, but I've already bought all the parts to fully repair (clutch lever, speedo, dash, headlight ring) for $400, and throw in maybe $100 for paint.

My current bike, an '08 Vulcan 900 Classic, was also a wreck. That one needed even less work, it had a couple of bent brackets and needed a new floorboard.

Take a look at this photo, both bikes and that '05 Jeep LJ are insurance wrecks...the Jeep is worth twice what I paid, and I've been driving it for 2 years so far.
I'll drive and ride wrecks for the rest of my life...I make a profit on every one of them, and satisfy my need to tinker at the same time!!

BTW, all of these came from ADESA Impact, a nationwide insurance wreck clearing house.

And I wouldn't get too hung up on Triumph vs Kawasaki debates...they're different bikes built for different things, both have their merits and their nits.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I haven't ridden the Speedmaster, but I have ridden a Bonnie and the two have the same motor. The Speedmaster's makes a bit more torque and a bit less HP than the Bonnie. And the Speedmaster makes about the same torque and a bit more HP than a 9.

The real difference is the character of the I-twin. It's a very different motor to run that the 9's V-twin. Those Triumph motors are surprisingly peppy for their displacement.

I can't speak to other concerns like comfort or handling.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I won't say that the Speedmaster sucks, in fact I've never ridden a Triumph. But I will say that Triumphs have a long history of electrical problems and I ride with a friend on a 2002 Rocket III. Judging by his experience over the past 3 yrs, I'd have to say they still have electrical problems. I've been on two rides with him where he had total electical failure and had to trailer the bike home for repairs. He's also had to run by-passes to get started on several occasions. I have no doubt the Speedmaster is faster than the 9er (Speed is part of it's name!), but I doubt it comes close in reliability. As far as performance; The engine's output is about 5 lbs less than ours but their bike weighs 70 lbs less than the 9er. The Triumph has a bit more Rake/Trail than your Classic (more in line with my Custom) so you should get better cornering in town, the Triumph ( and Custom) will be more stable at highway speeds. I would think the biggest differences would be the look (V vs. Line) and sound.
2002 Rocket III?

·
Registered
536 Posts
Stripperguy...."...they're different bikes built for different things, both have their merits and their nits." I agree but a bargain motorcycle will always be dear to my heart. Thats a sweet deal on a great bike so I would ride the wheels off it if I were you. Thats how I ended up on my Classic...right price at the right time and I can finally get a fair return on value with it. I envy the upright riding position you have there (see my garage for my previous rides) and I truly miss that when I ride my Classic but I have enough money left over to buy another bike if I feel like it. I think another dualsport or Supermoto is in my future as a second bike.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I obviously have the wrong year on that. Actually, he bought it late in '07 so it's probably an '05 or '06.
I was thinking perhaps you meant an '04. They're all good years:D You're right about the electrical issues. I know the earlier Rockets had issues with the ignitions. There is a kit one can install to fix it. I bought my '13 Roadster brand new and it had an issue with stalling when downshifting, clutch disengaged. A few other '13's did as well. Found out the stepper motor voltage was low. Easy fix. Runs perfect now.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've seen that video. It was one of the reasons I bought my Vulcan. I still find it not very thorough. Just seems like opinions. Which I guess it what most reviews are. Just not a lot of info.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I had a 2007 Honda 750 Shadow with the shaft drive before I got my 900 custom. I loved it but I was always scared to push it because of the whine of the shaft drive and a clicking noise that seemed to come from the carbs.

The 900 seems to beg me to push it sometimes and it delivers. If it is great power and speed, this is not the bike. I believe the creators considered everything that would appeal to potential buyers.

The first time I rode it, I was hooked. My only comparison was the 750. I have FI, belt drive, less chance to drag pegs like the 750, and much farther range with gas tank.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I had a Honda Shadow 750 Phantom before the vn900 custom.

For me the VN is better handling, braking, ride, acceleration ... in fact almost everything.
The Phantom was a bit lighter so easier to push around, and the gearing was just right, wheras the VN gearing could be higher for my taste.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Don't know what it is about that bike but I have always been drawn to it. Saw one in person for the first time parked in a parking lot today. I stopped and lusted after it awhile.

Anyone have experience with it and A vulcan 900? I have a 2009 Classic but considered the speedmaster before I purchased it. I just really dig the looks and simplicity of the new model speedmaster. I just got a great deal on my classic so I went that route.

Basically someone tell me the Speedmaster sucks so I don't have to think about it anymore. :)
Cole, I've a test ride scheduled tomorrow on an America. The Triumph's, BSA's, and 125 - 165cc Harley's (which I rode), were about all you saw around my area when I was young, and I don't recall much about the Indians, but the British bikes really caught my eye. I'd test a Speedmaster too but the seat & handlebars just don't fit right and basically they're just about the same bike anyway.

I know the 900's are smoother and a little less expensive, but from what I hear and read on this forum, are not a good choice for 75+ extended rides. I'm keeping my trusty Vulcan 500 but I've got an itch for something a little bigger for interstate cruising.

I may like it, may not, we'll see.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts