Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to get the top triple tree off to check steering bearings. Got stem nut loose and removed the bolts that clamp the top tree to the fork legs. That's where I seem to have an issue. After removing the bolts and stem stuff I can't get the tree to come lose. Any ideas on what I may have missed or suggestions

·
Registered
145 Posts
Have you got the bike on a jack otherwise the weight on the front wheel will stop it from moving. Ideally you need the bike upright with the front wheel only just touching the ground. The best way to check stem bearings is to jack the bike up so the front wheel is off the ground then try to push and pull on the bottom of the forks to feel for slack in the steering stem. Not easy with a big cruise but you need the bike safely jacked up so you can squat down in front of the bike and try to pull the front wheel away from the back wheel then push the wheel toward the back wheel. Also whilst the wheel is off the ground turn the steering from lock to lock. The steering should easily fall from centre to either lock stop with virtually no resistance. I hope this makes sense?

·
Registered
580 Posts
My service manual says to remove windshield and fairing but I'm not really sure if that's required. There may be one bolt in the front of the triple tree that you are missing. Here is a picture from the manual. PM me and I may be able to provide more if you want.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Have you got the bike on a jack otherwise the weight on the front wheel will stop it from moving. Ideally you need the bike upright with the front wheel only just touching the ground. The best way to check stem bearings is to jack the bike up so the front wheel is off the ground then try to push and pull on the bottom of the forks to feel for slack in the steering stem. Not easy with a big cruise but you need the bike safely jacked up so you can squat down in front of the bike and try to pull the front wheel away from the back wheel then push the wheel toward the back wheel. Also whilst the wheel is off the ground turn the steering from lock to lock. The steering should easily fall from centre to either lock stop with virtually no resistance. I hope this makes sense?
+1.

Once you get the stem head nut off and loosen the pinch bolts you'll need to un-weight the front wheel to get the top of the triple tree off.
(ask how I know):p

Scott

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Scott....

Have you had any wheel wobble since you replaced your stem bearings? I have had the new bearings for a while now and still have not got the urge to swap them out yet even though I have all the tools to do it and have done a few in the past.

Been having a lot of medical issues..... but I will get to it, just do not know when...

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Scott....

Have you had any wheel wobble since you replaced your stem bearings? I have had the new bearings for a while now and still have not got the urge to swap them out yet even though I have all the tools to do it and have done a few in the past.

Been having a lot of medical issues..... but I will get to it, just do not know when...
I've noticed it a few times since the weather has warmed up this year. Not as pronounced or as frequent as with the stock bearings; but there nonetheless.

My front tire is pretty thin on the tread, but there isn't any evidence of cupping.
I will say that I don't have confidence in my air gauge right now and have a new one on order.
But, I expect I'll have to put a 1/4 turn on the stem nut to get rid of it.

I'm curious if adding some torque to the stem nut would improve the stock set-up as well?

Sorry to hear about your medical troubles; hope you get to feeling better soon!

Scott

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
got it off but couldnt get the bearings tightened will try again next week, need to find a wrench for it.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Hey Rob,

A lot of people use a screwdriver and a hammer to "drift" tighten the nut.
Position the tip of the screwdriver in the slot and tap it tight or loose.

There is a spec in the repair manual that specifies a bearing seating procedure which requires specific torque IF you are replacing the bearings.
But the slotted stem nut really makes that near impossible.

Cycle gear sells a crowsfoot type tool that work if all you're doing is adjusting the nut.

Another member here fabricated a tool with a piece of pipe with 4 notches welded to a socket. I can't find the thread now; but it looked like it would work very well.

Scott

1 - 8 of 8 Posts