Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am the new owner of a 2007 Vulcan 900 Custom. It had 896 miles on it when I purchased it and was always garaged kept and never dropped/wrecked, etc. It is a beautiful bike and rides like new but there is one problem I have with it........the trip odometer will not reset and the clock can not be set. The button works to change between trip odometer, regular odometer, and clock but the button to reset will not work. I have tried pressing and holding for an extended period of time, I've tried holding button while switching modes, I've tried with bike running, engine not running. Nothing seems to work, so can anyone please give me some advice on how to correct this problem? Is this a common problem on the Vulcans? I appreciate the anticipated help that someone may provide me. Thank you.:)

·
Registered
719 Posts
Not a common problem. You should be able to hold down the reset at the appropriate display, i.e. trip odo, and make changes. You can try disconnecting the battery a minute and see if things come back to life, else dig out the schematics and start troubleshooting.

·
Registered
976 Posts
The button itself may be bad, it happens on buttons, but I haven't heard of it happening here yet. Still, there's always gotta be a first guy. You can get the speed assy off easy enough I can't go from memory as to how easy it would be to get to the button. If you don't work with electronics and have a clean soldering station ready to go, I wouldn't do it. But maybe somebody you know does OR there is an electronics repair shop nearby that could help you out. I'm sure Maw Kaw would love to sell you a whole new speedo. Oughta be worth 5-600 bucks anyways.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Hey guy, the Lamp Assy listed here from Ron Ayers is only 39.33 plus shipping. BUT it looks like it's an easy enough sub-assy to work on so you might just give it a look see. The buttons are a part of it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm having a similar issue with my '06 1600 Classic. After riding a bit, the clock/trip meter will start flashing as if the reset button was pushed. The only way to stop it is to shut the bike off. I've had the meter apart, cleaned the connectors/buttons and it will be ok for a while, but will then act up again.

Wanted to see if there's something simple I missed before shelling out the $270 for a new meter.

Thanks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Searched the forum and found a thread about a battery failure may be preempted by clock/trip meter resetting issues? Anyone found this to be true? My '06 does have the original battery. I've never had any starting issues and I do keep it on a battery tender.

Thanks.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Searched the forum and found a thread about a battery failure may be preempted by clock/trip meter resetting issues? Anyone found this to be true? My '06 does have the original battery. I've never had any starting issues and I do keep it on a battery tender.

Thanks.
that's probably it - seems I've read the same thing. If the bike is 5 years old and hasn't been ridden that much - the battery is probably on the weaker side.

·
Registered
26 Posts
that's probably it - seems I've read the same thing. If the bike is 5 years old and hasn't been ridden that much - the battery is probably on the weaker side.
I guess I will try a new battery and see how that works. If it doesn't solve the issue, at least I will know that I have a new battery. Probably past time to swap it anyway.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hmmmmm, on second thought I still think I have a meter issue. The clock doesn't lose it's time setting, it just flashes the current time back and forth between the hour, then the minutes, and then both the hour and minutes simultaneously. Keeps perfect time. Trip meter still reads miles traveled.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The button works to change between trip odometer, regular odometer, and clock but the button to reset will not work. I have tried pressing and holding for an extended period of time, I've tried holding button while switching modes, I've tried with bike running, engine not running. Nothing seems to work, so can anyone please give me some advice on how to correct this problem? Is this a common problem on the Vulcans? I appreciate the anticipated help that someone may provide me. Thank you.:)
I had the same problem & also bought used with no owners manual. I held down mode when trip meter came up while simultaneously holding the reset button, and after a few seconds, it reset. Now if someone can help me with setting the time, that'd be great. I can get the hr & min to blink but couldn't get the numbers to change.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts