Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought my 1998 Vulcan 800 Classic from a friend who had owned it since 2002. The speedometer and odometer work fine, and it has 17,000 miles. However, the trip meter is not working correctly. I usually rely on a trip meter for re-fueling, in the absence of a fuel gauge.
The trip meter will roll forward, however all the digits roll forward at the same time at different speeds. If I reset it to 0000, a short run around the block for instance, will return a reading of 634 miles??? all the digits are spinning!
I don't want to replace the entire speedometer gauge, but I'm not sure what is causing this, or if it can be repaired.
Any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sort of have the same problem.
My trip counter goes up to 29 kilometers then it doesn't turn over to 30 but starts over at 20 again.
Planning to try to disassemble it this winter.

I'll return with the results if I manage to open it

Skickat från min PLK-L01 via Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Manage to open the speedo.
Had to gently bend the edge of the steel ring at the back of the speedo.
Took of the needle and the background (or wathever it's called). However I didn't manage to get the gearhousing out because of the trip resetknob.
It's a brass extension thats threaded to the reset axle and it's stuck there pretty good...

So I gave up. I don't think its worth it and if my problem doesn't sort itself out (witch is unlikely) I'm buying a new or second hand speedo.

Anyway here's some pictures if you diced to try for yourself.

A word of warning though. The speedo gonna show signs of being opend. Maybe it doesn't matter on a bike that age but you never know what people gonna think...

Good luck

Skickat från min PLK-L01 via Tapatalk

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, seems like more trouble than it's worth. Think I'll just leave it as it is, or buy a used replacement gauge. Thanks anyway!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts