Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found out that when you disconnect the battery the trip meter resets to zero. Perhaps I missed that in the huge owners manual. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Hehe, yep! At least you've got a fuel gauge and aren't relying solely on the trip meter for fuel. My wifes back doesn't have one. It does have a low fuel light, but it's anyones guess when that'll come on if the trip gets reset!

·
Registered
357 Posts
It caught me by surprise the first time too. Funny that the trip reset, but the clock was correct. I don't understand that one.

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
It caught me by surprise the first time too. Funny that the trip reset, but the clock was correct. I don't understand that one.
The clock reset to 1:00 on mine as well as the trip to zero. The mileage of course stayed the same LOL

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep. I had to adjust the clock as well. It reset to 2:34 or something weird like that.

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
well.. fuel it up and rest the trip...good to go for another 200 miles

·
Registered
213 Posts
Funny, my clock went 10 minutes fast last time I disconnected the battery....

·
Registered
529 Posts
I found out that when you disconnect the battery the trip meter resets to zero. Perhaps I missed that in the huge owners manual. :rolleyes:
HAHA, just this weekend I was driving around going "75 MILES FOR OVER HALF A TANK!!! CURSE YOU FUEL PROCESSOR!" Then I remembered I had the battery cables off installing my HID headlight and I figured that was it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Clock & Trip Meter Rest

Maybe this is not the correct forum, but hopefully someone has run into this before. I have a 2008 Vulcan Classic VN1500F with a new battery. On occasion, the clock resets to 1:00 and the trip meter to "0" after starting and the high beam indicator does not illuminate although the high beam actually works. Has anyone else experienced this and possibly have a fix? Thanks.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Maybe this is not the correct forum, but hopefully someone has run into this before. I have a 2008 Vulcan Classic VN1500F with a new battery. On occasion, the clock resets to 1:00 and the trip meter to "0" after starting and the high beam indicator does not illuminate although the high beam actually works. Has anyone else experienced this and possibly have a fix? Thanks.
First step would be to clean and tighten your battery cables. When this happens, does the bike crank slower than normal?

Like most electronics, when voltage dips below a certain point, the trip odometer shuts off. That can happen from a number of factors. Commonly is just a dirty, corroded, or loose connector. But it can also be a battery that has limited capacity (enough to start but not enough to start and keep a satisfactory voltage level to the more sensitive electronics).

The high beam indicator is a bit puzzling though. Can you see it with your hand over it to shade it? I know on my 900, it was difficult to tell if the high beam indicator was lit during the daytime.

There are other possibilities too. Loose wires or connectors, etc. Electrical gremlins are interesting. So let's start with making sure the battery cables are clean and tight.

·
Registered
5 Posts
First step would be to clean and tighten your battery cables. When this happens, does the bike crank slower than normal?

Like most electronics, when voltage dips below a certain point, the trip odometer shuts off. That can happen from a number of factors. Commonly is just a dirty, corroded, or loose connector. But it can also be a battery that has limited capacity (enough to start but not enough to start and keep a satisfactory voltage level to the more sensitive electronics).

The high beam indicator is a bit puzzling though. Can you see it with your hand over it to shade it? I know on my 900, it was difficult to tell if the high beam indicator was lit during the daytime.

There are other possibilities too. Loose wires or connectors, etc. Electrical gremlins are interesting. So let's start with making sure the battery cables are clean and tight.
Romans5.8 thank you for the quick response, I will clean and tighten the battery cables as you suggested. To answer your question about it slow cranking, the answer is no. It cranks over normal.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts