Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many different companies make trike kits for the V2K.
Ive met Lawayne at Mystery Designs in Dallas and he told me that he hasnt done any himself , but that some of his dealers have .
I like the Mystery trike!!!
Are there any other choices out there??
Just wondering for the future

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Bolt on kit vs cutting and welding.

r2d2. mystery makes an independant suspension system designed around harley softail and FLH series frame/rear ends. it can be morphed to the yam roadstar. In my search a year ago, this was my starting point. Though a decent product, it did not make my cut as it requires extensive cutting and welding on your current swing arm and frame. I was looking for a bolt on kit.

there is a company that makes a kaw v2k specific bolt on kit but it utilizes a straight axle. not what I was looking for. Unfortunately, I did not save all the data in my search, so cannot tell you specifically where to look.

I did choose California Side Car design even tho they dont make a v2k kit. I went ahead and triked my harley instead. I was hoping I could get my hands on their softail kit and refit it to my v2k. They wont sell it to me, had to go thru an installing dealer. (whole nother enchilada of a story) but it finally worked out (CSC to the rescue) and am very pleased with the final product.

currently CSC is making a kit for the yam RoadLiners and has a kaw Voyager kit in the works. Am still holding out hope of getting a CSC kit and doing the refit thing to this beasty bike. Check em out at www.californiasidecar.com see the harley softail custom. this is the kit I want on my 125ci sled. write any questions. I have tons of pix n answers. out, ponch

·
Registered
148 Posts
How many different companies make trike kits for the V2K.
Ive met Lawayne at Mystery Designs in Dallas and he told me that he hasnt done any himself , but that some of his dealers have .
I like the Mystery trike!!!
Are there any other choices out there??
Just wondering for the future
Hannigan makes V2K trikes, there is no mention on their site but I know they do because I have bought renoved parts from an installer.
http://www.hannigantrikes.com/content/kawasakitrike.html
Bare

·
Registered
864 Posts
I met the Hannigans and looked at their products a couple of years ago. About as 1st class as you can get... Just sayin. Bulldozer

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
trike

Good to hear that you love it. Mystery is the design towards which I am leaning . {Ok! bad pun} Likely considering them primarily becasue I have met Lawayne , in Dallas & liked the guy. Did you build it yourself? or go through a dealer? Was there much cutting & welding? Did you opt for the "tiltster" ? As cool as that option is , Im not sure that I can justify the extra cash from my budget at this point , but it is always an available future option.
What mods have you made to the front end, triple tree??
Im considering this mod on my bike which was involved in a crash this summer. it may ??? have a small twist in the swingarm?? not sure as yet, but in case , it would be a perfect time to trike it. Not sure as to body type, for right now, Im liking the open minimalistic look

As per prev post, Ive briefly looked at the Hannigan trike, & it looks well built also.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Mystery is the design towards which I am leaning . {Ok! bad pun} Did you opt for the "tiltster" ? As cool as that option is , Im not sure that I can justify the extra cash from my budget at this point , but it is always an available future option.
'r, tiltster. best save yor money. the rear wheels tilt but not the trike and they only tilt at slow parking lot speed. you are still sitting flat in the corners with dealing with side G's. The wheels tilt via a pneumatic piston that is fed from the amount of steering angle input (not counter steering like a mc). At slow (walking) parking lot speed the trike uses a lot of steering angle for tight manuevering. The rear wheels will tilt but the trike remains flat. At any speed above a walk the amount of steering input is very minimal to turn the trike. The rear wheels will never tilt and even if they did the trike still remains flat and you vertical to the pavement. Side G's are a trikes forte'. that is why an independant suspension system w/good anti roll characteristics are desireable. just like a sports car rear end, the more articulated and stable the design the better it can cut up a corner. Still you are dealing w/side G's and not Vertical G's that a mc gives. You are no longer flying but just piloting a half ton missle.

mystery makes a great product and I would have gone that direction if it hadn't involved so many fixes that Lwayne said I had to figure out and provide. He didnt have the solution(s).

If you have not ridden a trike yet, by all means do so. I triked (one of mine) because I have two more skoot backups and wanted my brother to consider this. It took me a good 4k miles to get used to it enough to appreciate its differences. but hey thats just me. out, ponch

·
Registered
215 Posts
I agree with Ponch on the Tiltster can see the money there plus that is just more that can go wrong. No dealer here just me and couple friends. not a lot of cutting or welding but I welded enough to make sure it wasn't moving and on top that I drilled and bolted to the brackets for extra support. I went with a custom made 6 1/4 tree for the ease of steering and love it. I had NO problem converting from 2 to 3 wheels. but then again I ride 4 wheelers daily to so that might what helped me. I went with the cobra style body for the looks and storage and to be different. Everyone else has the boxy square look I didn't want that look. good luck on the decision.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
trike

Thanks for the input , guys,. I havent made any decisions yet, I do like to cobra body style. Also , cutting & welding arent an issue for me. But bolt on IS easier. The only trike that Ive ridden so far is a buddy's Softail Lehman conversion. I quite liked it , took some getting used to , but wasnt to "foreign" a feel for me. I am just thinking in advance , that due to limited left arm movement restrictions, & some day , I may actually choose to give up 2 wheels { for safety& age sake} , I should make some trike considerations.
I guess , it boils down to this: age & agility may force me to 3 wheels , but nothing will diminish the my addiction to HP & torque , SO , if Im triking,I want to trike the biggest V-twin available!!
I currently have another V2K which I can ride[an 04} , and am just in initial purchase negotiations on a demo , 09 Classic
I think I really need my head read ???, I notice that many of the posters here have multiple, various bikes and thats a NORMAL thing, but who has multiples of the SAME bike ??? Am I sick?? I currently have 3 V2K's , and looking at a fourth?? Next season, my 2 sons will each get a hand-me-down V2K, from me. Even I dont understand it LOL Think my head may be F____ed??? LOL MAybe its akin to other addictions?? I dont gamble , rarely drink, but cant pass up a deal on a V2K???? GO figure??

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
so who couldn't use another HAMMER in their g'rage?

r', here is pic of that custom I would like to do to my v2k. and yes I would buy another... just to have a spare. they'r that good.

also are pix of my daytona. the custom kit have cast alum A arms. these are welded steel w/adjustments out the wazoo. can dial in any amount of caster n camber to fit. Also I opted for the 'lectric reverse. on a custom sled I would not, they push back ez'r than a bike.

as you can see CSC uses a dual belt drive system w/a 3" Gates (snowmobile) belt down the center. is rock solid and bullet proof. Also dual disc brakes, each wheel for more anchors. out, ponch

1 - 10 of 10 Posts