Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally old age and neuromuscular disease has got to me. Has anyone tried one of the bolt-on trike kits on the 900LT? From what I have read it is a very different riding experience. However, it may be the only experience available. Costs run from 2k, 4k and some of the more sophisticated rigs go in the 5k, 6k range which I find outlandish option for a sub 10k bike. Mine is an '08 which might book at $4,000.
Would love to hear from those who have tried the trike option.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a friend that has a Voyager kit. He loves it. I'm not sure they make it for the Vulcan. He has a Goldwing. My guess is that it can be adapted to any bike. It costs around $4000. If you get a different bike you can probably move it to the next bike. The only bad thing I noticed is you can run into a situation where the rear tire is off the ground because of a rut in the road. It happened to him once and he just had to bounce the bike to get out of the rut. He also can't take corners very fast but that is true for any trike.

By the way I'm old and have a neuromuscular disease called CMT. Which is "Charcot-Marie-Tooth" disease. I've never met anyone else with this disease as it only affects about 1 in 20,000 people. Just curious?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Macman, sorry to hear of your malady. Sometimes it is not cool to be so unique. I have polyositis - weakens all the muscle groups.
But, I still have an IQ and won't get on dthe road until I'm confident I can be safe and responsible. Rick's friend said and I've read elsewhere that the outriggers wear you out in the corners since you have to push / pull.
My best bet is to get strong enough to do it properly. That is my goal in therapy.
Be safe and wise.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I know a guy who has a voyager trike kit on his Vulcan 900. He's pretty happy with it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Jim, I have a V900 Storm. I'm 66 years old and had also deceided that physically I'm not the best candidate for 2 wheels any more. Wife and I bought the Storm about a year and a half ago and have never looked back. It's different from the 2 wheeler but so much more relaxing. These come with the raked front fork so steering is a breeze. I don't worry about gravel,oil and water on the road or trying to stop on a slope and tipping over. Aside from that, compared to other trikes they are cheap. The only down side is the OEM 900 seat. Check one out.....Bill

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
gwnut,
I've seen mag ads on the Storm and I think there is video out there. But my bike is paid for and don't want to go in debt now. It is a nice looking rig and the right size. Good luck with yours.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I certainly respect your hesitation to go into debt. Maybe sometime soon the right deal will pop up.......Ride Safe!! Bill

·
Registered
494 Posts
Bill I meet a man when I traded in my yamaha raider for my kawasaki vaquero he owned a 900 trike. he was trading it for a goldwing trike he said he had no reverse on the 900. Im not sure about all 900 trikes but the 900 looked good he was happy with the goldwing and got it at a good price. I don't know your finances but if you keep looking you should be able to find a good deal. best of luck to you I know I'll be in your shoes some day. And i'm not looking foward to it but we all have to deal with our limatations. Again best of luck.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
GWNUT and Il Vaquero - Been all over the web looking at bolt-on kits. There is more than one way to skin a cat. Then I think perhaps I should just wait until I recover enough to handle the 900. I also have an '88 Wing that is for sale. Just way to tall and heavy with my medical situation.
I still want to investigate the bolt-on kits further. Not having to worry about feet down at stops does seem to be appealing.
Be safe out there.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Gw please post a few pics of your Storm. It is a Lehman trike kit which should be available at all Lehman dealers. I will check the local dealer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts