Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts
Discussion starter · #21 ·
And that's why started wearing them all the time. Like I said, it's very mild and not bothersome right now and I feel like it has not progressed in the years since I started wearing them. I find that the noise attenuating plugs, when fit properly don't affect my situational awareness in any meaningful way. Fit is important though, that tight fit feeling in your ear can really mess with you over time as an excessive sensory input. They shouldn't be loose, but if they're too big and fit tight then try another pair.

I got these. I use the longer stalk (grey set) to help with removal and it doesn't interfere with my helmet at all. I use those combined with the included white 25db inserts. It's worth noting that these don't deaden sound as much as foam filters, you still want a good helmet that fits well around your neck. A poor seal at the bottom of the helmet will make a TON of wind noise. They also work really well on loud airplanes, or at concerts. The whole idea is to just bring the sound level down without distorting it, that way you can still enjoy what you're listening to, but at a safe level.
These work really well too, but the stalk was shorter so getting them out of my ear was more difficult.
Remember that for these to work, they actually have to be 'in' the ear canal. It sounds gross, but give them a quick lick and they slide right in, just make sure to wipe them down on a regular basis or it'll taste like earwax. They clean up easily enough and seem to last, I have two sets that are a few years old now. A daily use set that stays in my jacket pocket and a backup in the bike luggage just incase. Oh, and they are made of silicone, so look for a natural rubber pair if you have allergies.
Thanks for the links! I'll check it all out. I've been using disposable foam plugs but find they drown out too much.

Thanks for the links! I'll check it all out. I've been using disposable foam plugs but find they drown out too much.
I've used the Nonoise like rcb78 and also the Earpeace brand, and another huge advantage over disposable foamies is that the ones with the filter seem to "breathe" better. That is, I don't get the 'sinus pressure' feeling, because the plugs don't fully isolate the outside, from sound or pressure. They just make things a little quieter. Makes country roads with the 900 a lot more pleasant, not having the wind noise in the helmet; it feels like I can actually hear everything else better because that broadband noise wash isn't there.

I have 3 sets of specific-purpose earplugs that don't block everything but help a ton with wind noise. My favorites are ones I got at a motorcycle show some years ago, and I think the brand is Earpeace. I wear them on every ride that's not just around town for a few minutes to remove the wind noise in my modular helmet.

Finally got around to trying foam earplugs under my full face helmet yesterday. Can't say I'm a fan at all. From feeling the extra pressure in my ears to the drowning out of most sounds around me, I'm not a fan. Can't say I disagree that they do provide extra hearing protection, but the way they mute everything almost makes me feel like they might be a safety hazard. How does everyone else feel about wearing ear plugs?

I feel the exact same way. However, I have a Shoei modulated helmet and that thing really keeps the noise down. Yeah, it's kind of loud but at about the same level I listen to music and not as loud as my kids when they watch TV so, I figure I'll be alright.

That being said, I've used loads of different ear plugs (I'm 54 and been in some sort of construction my whole life) and they make them with different ratings - each rated to reduce from a certain decibel. I'd suggest getting a lesser rated ear plug. It'll dampen the freeway sound without drowning it all out. Also, if your helmet had wind vents for circulation, try experimenting with opening and closing the vents. That modifies the sound for me in mine.

Hope that helps!

Engineer1220

I took my new to me 900 Classic out for the first time yesterday. Has a set of debaffled Baron exhausts on it. Even WITH earplugs, my ears were hurting. I can’t imagine riding it without them.

Finally got around to trying foam earplugs under my full face helmet yesterday. Can't say I'm a fan at all. From feeling the extra pressure in my ears to the drowning out of most sounds around me, I'm not a fan. Can't say I disagree that they do provide extra hearing protection, but the way they mute everything almost makes me feel like they might be a safety hazard. How does everyone else feel about wearing ear plugs?
I chimed in about my Shoei being pretty quiet, and I stand by that but recently, I've been doing some fairly long distance riding - on the road for an 8 hour trip. When I'm hitting the mountains, it's not bad, it really isn't but when I'm on the freeway and cruising around 70 or more, it is too loud. It seems like there's a noticeable difference and the volume really kicks up between 60 and 70. Probably gonna look into some of the recommendations on this thread for my freeway riding.

Discussion starter · #32 ·
I chimed in about my Shoei being pretty quiet, and I stand by that but recently, I've been doing some fairly long distance riding - on the road for an 8 hour trip. When I'm hitting the mountains, it's not bad, it really isn't but when I'm on the freeway and cruising around 70 or more, it is too loud. It seems like there's a noticeable difference and the volume really kicks up between 60 and 70. Probably gonna look into some of the recommendations on this thread for my freeway riding.
I've been wearing ear plugs now on every ride. I tried going for a short ride without them yesterday and even at 40MPH, the wind was just too loud. I wish I could hear more of what's going on around me, just without the wind noise. I wear a full face Bell helmet.

I've been wearing ear plugs now on every ride. I tried going for a short ride without them yesterday and even at 40MPH, the wind was just too loud. I wish I could hear more of what's going on around me, just without the wind noise. I wear a full face Bell helmet.
A quality windshield or fairing will accomplish this. Plus it will reduce the strain of fighting the wind as it hits your chest.

Funnier still: I was at a local helmet shop a few years ago when a customer walked up to the counter and said "What do I need to cut down on the wind noise?" He held his modular helmet up to show the shop owner.

She replied "You're looking for something with doors and a roof." I was on my way out, so I don't know where the discussion went from there.

Funnier still: I was at a local helmet shop a few years ago when a customer walked up to the counter and said "What do I need to cut down on the wind noise?" He held his modular helmet up to show the shop owner.

She replied "You're looking for something with doors and a roof." I was on my way out, so I don't know where the discussion went from there.
aaaaahhhhhahahahahaha!

Discussion starter · #37 ·
A quality windshield or fairing will accomplish this. Plus it will reduce the strain of fighting the wind as it hits your chest.
Problem is that I paid an extra $300 to have the Cafe deflector installed when I bought the bike. Love the look, but now I know better. Maybe I'll sell the deflector and put on a windshield. I just don't like the look of windshields at all.

I've worn earplugs for years now. I don't think I've ridden without them minus for a 3 minute trip or two. I've got custom fitted ones from an audiologist, one set with speakers in them, one set without. They weren't as expensive as one would think, and tax deductible on April 15th. Not only helps with the noise, but the fatigue too at the end of the day.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.