Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Tried earplugs yesterday - no thanks!

7K views 46 replies 26 participants last post by  MVisMarco 
#1 ·
Finally got around to trying foam earplugs under my full face helmet yesterday. Can't say I'm a fan at all. From feeling the extra pressure in my ears to the drowning out of most sounds around me, I'm not a fan. Can't say I disagree that they do provide extra hearing protection, but the way they mute everything almost makes me feel like they might be a safety hazard. How does everyone else feel about wearing ear plugs?

#2 ·
I definitely use them quite often, especially when on the highway. The constant wind noise is incredibly noticeable after you ride with them all the time.

On the topic of it drowning out the traffic noise, I agree it does drown out the sound of traffic noticeably, but on the high way I'm very aware of the vehicles around me and my space cushion, even at higher speeds, plus you can definitely hear a speeding car catching up to you with them in.

In the city, I've gotten into a bad habit of not using them all the time, especially on days without wind but I'm trying to get back into habit of wearing them all the time. My old man had hearing issues so I've been very alert with regards to my hearing, so I always use hearing protection when shooting and riding.

At the end of the day, it's like a full gear set up. Ideally, every time you ride you wear full (high vis) gear, but sometimes complacency gets the best of you, we're human after all, and you don't use all protection especially on very small and quick trips.

At the end of the day, I think being aware of your surroundings and having space cushions are going to be more beneficial, but you only get one pair of ears at the end of the day.

Ride safe! 🤘🏼

#4 ·
I bought a set off Amazon that are washable and multiple use to try them and while they drown certain noise out I didn't feel it drowned out what's important. As for comfort they actually aren't too bad, however the only time I feel the need to use them would be on a long highway run which I dont really do. My helmet is pretty decent as far as wind noise so the cruise around town riding I mainly do for typically an hour at a time I prefer getting the full soundtrack of my bikes, particularly the Z900, but if I were to go on an all day long trip would certainly prefer having them in.

#5 ·
I wear disposable ear plugs for every ride over 5 miles or so. I've worked in steel mills since 1978 and wear them daily at work. You can get used to them and still hear a normal conversation on the mill floor. I took my first 500 mile trip without ear plugs in 1980 and still remember the ringing in my head when I got to Virginia Beach. I've worn hearing protection ever since. For me, loosing the wind noise helps me focus on traffic and the road.

#6 ·
Don’t know your ages, but that constant wind noise will effect your hearing. As we age degeneration of inner ear structures occurs over time.
A whisper is about 30 dB, normal conversation is about 60 dB, and a motorcycle engine running is about 95 dB. Noise above 70 dB over a prolonged period of time starts to damage your hearing. Loud noise above 120 dB can cause immediate harm to your ears.
At 70 I have lost 40% of my high pitched hearing. The hardest people to hear are children and women with high voices. Even worse with some nationalities, an Asian gal can be directly talking to me and I can hear her but do not understand her. I have a custom set of silicone earplugs that we made at one of the Goldwing rallies and use them On the mower, tractor, using any power tools, and the bike. You say they are uncomfortable? When it’s gone it’s gone. 🦻

#12 ·
Don’t know your ages, but that constant wind noise will effect your hearing. As we age degeneration of inner ear structures occurs over time.
You say they are uncomfortable? When it’s gone it’s gone. 🦻
Way to go Tourer! I'm on my second pair of $5000 hearing aids (phonak) and I wish I had paid more attention a few decades ago. Not only hearing loss but also major tinnitus and the inability to understand some common words. My audiologist says about hearing: Use it or lose it...forever. Imagine a world without music, with garbled conversation, every second word is "what?" and ears that feel full of cotton.
Also, if none of the above matters think about hearing aids that cost almost as much as my bike:unsure:

Reactions: Tourer
#7 ·
I can't hear my loud pipes with ear plugs, and I know what RPM my motor is at by the sound of my pipes, also I did find wearing plugs a safety hazard, plus they were uncomfortable also which was the main reason I didn't like them

#8 ·
The cheap foam units are great for construction/factory work but are not the most comfortable and are meant to block out everything. Try a specialized set. I use Pinlock Ear Plugs. Per the description:

Unlike disposable earplugs, the Pinlock earplugs do not affect the balance of the motorcyclist as it is made out of silicone-free medical grade TPE. Two sizes included, to ensure a perfect fit for every motorcyclist and patented precision filter technology maintains spatiality.

The earplugs have a filter that filters irritating noise like wind and motorcycle noises down to a safe rate while still allowing conversation and emergency sirens into the ears.

#10 ·
I think I'll give them another shot. I do already have custom hearing aids for my CAPD, Central Auditory Processing Disorder. It's where I have trouble making out sounds when there is alot of background noise. Like at a restaurant with people talking all around me, someone talking directly to me just comes out as mumbles. It's really annoying, as my work frequently has me in those situations. I'm always asking people to repeat what they said. Yes, I believe I'll try the plugs again to protect what I do have left.

#13 ·
I too have a set of $5000 hearing aids. Fortunately my benefits paid for them. I rarely wear them. They itch and do not really improve my hearing that much. Have had their software upgraded three times and still they are not much help. I usually put them in when I have to use the phone. When we go somewhere and after whoever is speaking with us is done, I look at the Mrs and she gives me the summary of what they said. Of course background noise causes issues. Hence the term “Getting old sucks”. 🦻

#14 ·
For those of you complaining about the ear plugs making it too hard to hear traffic, you need to try out some of the sound attenuating type plugs. There are many options out there and it may take a few tries to get the right set, but when you find them they will be comfortable, deaden the wind and engine noise (droning type sound) but not severely impact normal traffic sounds. I went the route of ordering a bunch from Amazon and returning the ones I didn't like. It makes a significant difference for me to cut back the wind noise on the freeway. Not to mention it's eliminated the ringing I would get after a ride, my tinnitus is currently very mild and not bothersome at all so it would be nice for it to not get any worse.

#24 ·
I feel the exact same way. However, I have a Shoei modulated helmet and that thing really keeps the noise down. Yeah, it's kind of loud but at about the same level I listen to music and not as loud as my kids when they watch TV so, I figure I'll be alright.

That being said, I've used loads of different ear plugs (I'm 54 and been in some sort of construction my whole life) and they make them with different ratings - each rated to reduce from a certain decibel. I'd suggest getting a lesser rated ear plug. It'll dampen the freeway sound without drowning it all out. Also, if your helmet had wind vents for circulation, try experimenting with opening and closing the vents. That modifies the sound for me in mine.

Hope that helps!

Engineer1220

#31 ·
I chimed in about my Shoei being pretty quiet, and I stand by that but recently, I've been doing some fairly long distance riding - on the road for an 8 hour trip. When I'm hitting the mountains, it's not bad, it really isn't but when I'm on the freeway and cruising around 70 or more, it is too loud. It seems like there's a noticeable difference and the volume really kicks up between 60 and 70. Probably gonna look into some of the recommendations on this thread for my freeway riding.

#35 ·
Funnier still: I was at a local helmet shop a few years ago when a customer walked up to the counter and said "What do I need to cut down on the wind noise?" He held his modular helmet up to show the shop owner.

She replied "You're looking for something with doors and a roof." I was on my way out, so I don't know where the discussion went from there.

#36 ·
Funnier still: I was at a local helmet shop a few years ago when a customer walked up to the counter and said "What do I need to cut down on the wind noise?" He held his modular helmet up to show the shop owner.

She replied "You're looking for something with doors and a roof." I was on my way out, so I don't know where the discussion went from there.
aaaaahhhhhahahahahaha!

#38 ·
I've worn earplugs for years now. I don't think I've ridden without them minus for a 3 minute trip or two. I've got custom fitted ones from an audiologist, one set with speakers in them, one set without. They weren't as expensive as one would think, and tax deductible on April 15th. Not only helps with the noise, but the fatigue too at the end of the day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.