Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone tried to remove the baffle from the tri-ovals? I rode to Houston last week and the noise at 80 mph was not tolerable without earplugs. I would like to try to tone them down a bit with some stove rope or pipe wrap. When I looked at the end of the pipe I found four hex head bolts, but when removed, the baffle did not want to budge. I didn't break out the hammer yet but thought I would post the question here to see if anyone else had taken them out or tried to quiet them down, just a bit.

Most of my riding is below 70, and the tri-oval noise level is tolerable at that speed. But when I go on I-45 South to Houston, if I'm not going 80 I feel like I am going to get run over.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
The end cap on the Tri-Ova;s are an EXTREMELY TIGHT FIT and are difficult to remove.
There are actually 2 baffles in the Tri-Ovals. The first baffle protrudes into the body I believe about 6-10 inches on the inlet side. The end of that tube is capped and the exhaust flow must flow out of this tube thru openings in the side of that tube. That exhaust flow must then flow thru openings in the side of the long baffle tube that ends at the rear of the body.
Since exhaust flow goes from outside of the long baffle tube to the inside you must be careful in how you wrap the core as it will restrict exhaust flow and possibly reduce performance.
Loosely wrapping the long baffle tube would be a starting point. Analize the change in the sound, the power and mpg.
But yea those end caps are tuff to remove. Some penetrating lube and a slide hammer will do the trick.

HOPE THIS HELPS

RACNRAY

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the reply Ray. Always good information in your posts. I think I'll try a heat gun on the end cap and an ice wrap on the pipe tube and try to get a little thermal expansion/contraction to help me out. If that doesn't work I'll see if I can find my slide hammer and figure out where to attach it to the baffle. I'll post the results.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thanks for the reply Ray. Always good information in your posts. I think I'll try a heat gun on the end cap and an ice wrap on the pipe tube and try to get a little thermal expansion/contraction to help me out. If that doesn't work I'll see if I can find my slide hammer and figure out where to attach it to the baffle. I'll post the results.

I am also trying to get the baffles out. End caps are off but the baffles won't budge. You have any luck?

·
Registered
434 Posts
I thought these were semi quiet unless you got on it? Was thinking of getting these but if it was that loud I may have to stay stock.

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
I thought these were semi quiet unless you got on it? Was thinking of getting these but if it was that loud I may have to stay stock.
Seems to be a personal preference thing. Running down the Interstate at 80 mph is getting on it a bit. I run around 80 mph on my commute to work, I find the sound soothing. I've been a little curious what kind of helmet the riders are wearing that do not like the sound. I wear a Shoei Neotec modular, and noticed that it does subdue road noise. Other thoughts?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I love the sound of my Tri-Ovals and I wear a Scorpion EXO-100 half helmet. It is the guy behind me that has complained about the noise at over 3000 rpm. Just my thoughts. I don't find them too loud on the highway and neither does my wife while ridding on the highway.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I find that the tri ovals are very quiet , on the highway there real smooth..at 80 in 6th gear theres a low pitch rumble ..i love them.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Rusty, you might also consider the Vance & Hines twin slash slip-ons. They sound great, though for me personally I wish they were a tad louder. But for you, that may be perfect.

You can check them out here, including a video clip:

http://www.vanceandhines.com/store/metric/kawasaki/18371

3P

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
My OCD kicks in when I look at the V&H literature. They advertise as being under $450 and the price is actually about $470 and then the Kawasaki install instructions end along lines of "Now that you've installed those brand spanking new pipes on your HARLEY-DAVIDSON motorcycle...." :rolleyes:

With that said, had I the money lying around I'd buy a set :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am also trying to get the baffles out. End caps are off but the baffles won't budge. You have any luck?
No luck getting the baffles out. I may be too gentle trying not to damage anything. I think I'll go for a hemlet upgrade instead. I'm using the GMAX modular. I like it for the ventilation but letting in the air has it's downside I guess. Never miss a chance to buy something better!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Took off the Cobra Tri-Ovals

I just returned from a trip to Utah via New Mexico, Colorado, and of course a full day just to get out of The Great State of Texas. After riding just over 3000 miles round trip the first thing I did when I arrived home was take off the Cobra Tri-Ovals and put the stock pipes back on. After tweaking the unassuming Mr. Sheck’s Best Map Ever to account for the increased back pressure I think I’ll stay with the stock exhaust. I did not feel much difference in performance, but there is HUGE difference in my ear comfort at 80 mph, and no more audible popping noise. I can take the tri-ovals for a day at 80 mph, but three days in a row and my ears beg for earplugs. Guess I’m just getting old.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I wear molded earplugs, except for the shortest of around-town jaunts. It's the wind noise that'll do the damage to your hearing, although that's lessened behind a screen.

I can turn up the blue-tooth to punch through the plugs quite easily, and the sound from my Cobra slashcuts is a nicely muted rumble.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I've had the tri-ovals on my bike now for over a year. I find them to be fine at 80mph. This is the first thread I've where someone was complaining that they were to loud. If anything people complain they are to quite. To each his own, I guess. I think they sound great and are a good compromise between stock and pipes that are even louder than them. Good luck getting them a part.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts