Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If you don't wear a helmet your an idiot. The statistics speak for themselves. https://www.motorcycleaccident.org/motorcycle-accidents-statistics-and-possible-causes/

Even if you are a super careful rider you cannot always avoid a crash. Just look at motorcycle crashes on YouTube. 80%+ are avoidable, however the rest are just unfortunate circumstances for the rider.

Helmet abuse. Even very modest impacts can damage a helmet. Check this out. http://youtu.be/veWpp6euOKM
If your helmet has suffered an impact it should be repalced.

Helmet replacement. It is recommended to replace your helmet very 5 years or sooner. The protective materials start to break down over time and reduce the helmets protection.

The MSF recommends never buying a used helmet as it may have been dropped repeatedly or otherwise compromised without any outward visible damage.

Cleaning and customizing. Check before doing anything with your helmet. Certain cleaning products can destroy your helmets structural strength. Likewise paint or even the glue on stickers can damage your helmet. Most manufacturers provide specific instructions on helmet care.

Get a helmet that fits correctly and use the chin strap. Protection is greatly reduced if your helmet does not fit properly. Actual sizes vary for mfg to mfg I.e all large helmets are not the same size. It is best to try it one before you buy it. If you don't use the chin strap it won't do you much good in a crash when it goes flying off!

Mirrors and backrest are not a good place to sit your helmet on, they can dent the foam and reduce your helmets protective qualities. Try to always have your helmet suspended by the chin strap when stored on your bike.

WB

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Another factor for consideration - in about 60% of fatal motorcycle crashes in Oregon the rider had been consuming alcohol, and in many of those they were over the legal alcohol limit.

·
Registered
115 Posts
well, a lot of people don't understand either is that a helmet is only tested at 15 mph impact rating. almost every accident is at a higher rate of speed. I know from personal experience that if ur a beginner, use a full helmet to begin with because for me I learned faster and I had to look farther around to see when passing and turning. now I have converted to a 1/2 helmet. down here in florida it gets hot and a full helmet is not exactly practical, but each his own. I now here everything and can see a lot better also. but down here in the sunshine state there is a helmet law, if you don't ride with one, you must have insurance, and if you have insurance you can ride without or its a hefty fine.

·
Registered
304 Posts
i rode with a beanie helmet for many years, now that i have 2 young kids and actually give a shit about my well being ill wear a full face.

·
Registered
164 Posts
but down here in the sunshine state there is a helmet law, if you don't ride with one, you must have insurance, and if you have insurance you can ride without or its a hefty fine.
You are not required to have insurance?
Where I live if you don't have insurance you can't ride period

For me I wear a 3/4 or Full face depending, and 95% of the time wear a riding jacket

·
Registered
675 Posts
Here in Washington St. you do not need insurance to operate a motorcycle, but a helmet is required.
For myself I wear a helmet, but for those that do not, more power to them.

On a side note
When I tried to access the Link provided by the OP, Red Flags, site not to be trusted.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
You are not required to have insurance?
Where I live if you don't have insurance you can't ride period

For me I wear a 3/4 or Full face depending, and 95% of the time wear a riding jacket
I think they are talking about health insurance.

In TX you are required to wear a helmet unless you have proof of health insurance.
I guess it's supposed to reduce costs to the taxpayer if you get injured and cannot pay.

Scott

·
Registered
115 Posts
no, actually its bike insurance. in florida its not a requirement unless you don't wear a helmet. but they do say if you don't wear a helmet you have to have at least 100,000 dollar coverage. I have 300,000 coverage all the way around to the fullest extent, im maxxed out on my policy with gieco and only pay 98 bucks a year.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
When I wrecked last summer I scraped up my helmet, a 1/2 shell. I don't believe it saved my life, but I KNOW it saved my scalp and forehead! I replaced it before I even started shopping for parts to rebuild my bike, about a week after the wreck. Gave my damaged one to the shop because they wanted to put it on display.

I firmly agree with most here: I'll always wear mine. We have a helmet law in Louisiana (Ronald, it also gets hot as hell here!).

I don't believe Arkansas does. I live near the state line and do a lot of riding there, and see people all the time riding without. Yes, when I see it, one word goes through my mind: "Idiot". When I see someone on a sport bike driving a little crazy without one, it becomes two words: "f***ing idiot."

With or without helmet laws, I'll always wear it. If it saves me even from a nasty scrape, it's worth the money.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
No,
Actually it is medical insurance. $10,000 dollars worth in FL just like TX.

Looking these things up is really quite easy.
I am pretty shocked that Florida DOESN'T require you to have liability insurance.

Info from ABATE.
Florida Helmet Law FAQ - ABATE Of Florida

Actual Statute: 316.211 Equipment for motorcycle and moped riders
Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

Scott
I know people don't like the "gub'ment" requiring things but liability insurance seems like a no brainer. Most states require it. Many still don't have it, admittedly, but it's just crazy not to have it. Could leave you footing the bill when some moron hits you.

As to OP; the statistics are there. People have their own rights to make their own decisions (just like I have a right to be critical of that decision!). What bothers me is bogus science and terrible confirmation bias BS that gets spewed about helmet safety. Including people that have it in their head that you're safer without it. The "helmets snap necks" line. Not only is that not true (helmets actually PREVENT neck injuries and snapped necks occur MORE FREQUENTLY when a helmet is not worn), it's just bogus. If you don't want to wear it fine, but respect the decision you're making and own up to it. Realize the risks and make an informed decision. That's all I, personally, ask.

Riders love to blame other cars on everything but that's not always the case. "Most" accidents do not involve other cars. Actually more motorcycle accidents are single vehicle than not and almost half of the fatalities are single vehicle [SOURCE]

Alcohol, a lack of rider training (especially on how to brake, a huge number of motorcyclists do not know how to properly brake), a lack of a helmet, equipment problems (poor maintenance), all contribute heavily to motorcycle fatalities. As motorcyclists we do need to take safety into our own hands and not just blame cars for everything. Look at how safe aviation is. And a lot of that is culture. Pilots, for the most part, are well trained and very professional and take safety extremely seriously. Motorcyclists should be the same. Checking our bikes before a ride, keeping up on maintenance, knowing how to brake, not riding while intoxicated (that one is just silly; why? Get treatment if you can't possibly have a good time without alcohol and need to drink so bad that you can't decide not to drink because you haven't got a designated driver; seriously. Social alcoholism is a recognized mental health issue and it's treatable. If you can't drink responsibly, then you shouldn't be drinking.) So many lives can be saved by just taking these bikes and ourselves a little more seriously. But I think our culture of bad science and repeating tired old (incorrect) lines like "helmets snap necks" and "It's usually the other cars fault" don't help us, they harm us.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Yeah,
I really don't like the "Gub-ment" interfering with our freedom to choose.
But...

We (in the non-nanny state ideology) have gotten off track pretty bad in a lot of areas. Claiming "recklessness" as a right while espousing contempt for cautious prudence.
Then making up BS like "loud pipes are for safety" or "Helmets limit vision and hearing to the point of being unsafe", "snap necks" etc.

If it's your right not to wear a helmet; good for you.
It's also your responsibility to finance your own medical and recovery costs.

Scott

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Yeah,
I really don't like the "Gub-ment" interfering with our freedom to choose.
But...

We (in the non-nanny state ideology) have gotten off track pretty bad in a lot of areas. Claiming "recklessness" as a right while espousing contempt for cautious prudence.
Then making up BS like "loud pipes are for safety" or "Helmets limit vision and hearing to the point of being unsafe", "snap necks" etc.

Scott
I agree. Your rights end when it becomes an issue on infringing on the rights of others. "Rights" isn't just a word you can throw up because you want to do something. There are things we don't have a right to do. You don't have a right to kill someone because you disagree with them, to use a silly example.

Which does make these issues complex. No helmet, fine, but you should be financially responsible. But what about seatbelts? Prevailing information suggests that not wearing a seatbelt could cause you to lose control if you swerve and actually increases your chance of being in an accident in the first place. So is a seatbelt more like a helmet; an individual safety decision; or is it more like brake lights, something you're required to have for the benefit and safety of others?

·
Registered
318 Posts

Scott
This, X1000.
I firmly believe people should be allowed to choose for themselves. They also should be accountable for their own stupidity. It's just MORONIC to ride without one.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
164 Posts
The decision to wear a helmet should be up to the individual rider.

I always wear a helmet and think it crazy not to
But I also ride a motorcycle and there are a lot of people who think it is crazy or moronic to ride a motorcycle because of safety reasons.

I enjoy riding my bike and the enjoyment, to me, is worth the risk.
For me NOT wearing a helmet while I ride is NOT worth the added risk, for some it may be and that's their decision.

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,855 Posts
I think they are talking about health insurance.

In TX you are required to wear a helmet unless you have proof of health insurance.
I guess it's supposed to reduce costs to the taxpayer if you get injured and cannot pay.

Scott
There's no helmet law in Texas.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I was a chaplain's assistant in a CA hospital with a busy ER before there was a helmet law. One look at an inbound patient with half of his face and head torn off in a crash because he wasn't wearing a helmet is rather convincing. Now helmets are required in California and Oregon. Even the most careful rider can be involved in a crash - all that is needed is for someone else (cager, maybe) suddenly to do something stupid and irresponsible.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts