1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
You can get a short sissybar/rack combo that will help out greatly (it's what I did with my custom), but it will look odd until ya get used to it. I love mine now! Or... you can get bungie cord posts to replace the mounting bolts on the side of the trim pieces on your back fender, and strap something down to the back seat that way.

I've also seen a couple of folks that just attach their bungies directly to the rear fender by hooking right under the fender edges, but that just makes me cringe.

IMO, go for a sissy bar and rack if you're going to be hauling a bag on a semi-consistent basis.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I saw a guy who had bungie posts on his fender mounts, and laid an army duffle bag across the passenger pillion, and used two rubber truck type bungies to hold it onto the seat. Looks a little odd, but you can be set up for $20-25 bucks plus the cost of the bungie posts. Military duffle has shoulder straps and a carry handle.

·
Registered
782 Posts
That is a great looking bag, but you have to strap it to something. If you have hard mount saddle bags, then you probably can hook bungies or straps to the bag mounts and let the bag ride on the passenger pad. If not, you need to add the bungee knobs like the ones at the link below. I have a classic with saddle bags and I often strap down a back pack to sit on the passenger pad. You can also strap down a 12 pack of your beverage of choice or maybe a can a coffee for the next morning!:D

Bungee Knob Link

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is a great looking bag, but you have to strap it to something. If you have hard mount saddle bags, then you probably can hook bungies or straps to the bag mounts and let the bag ride on the passenger pad. If not, you need to add the bungee knobs like the ones at the link below. I have a classic with saddle bags and I often strap down a back pack to sit on the passenger pad. You can also strap down a 12 pack of your beverage of choice or maybe a can a coffee for the next morning!:D

Bungee Knob Link
Thanks for the insight. My next question was going to be where I could get the knobs :)

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
I purchased a Kuryakyn GranTour Bag for some extended overnighters this summer. Although I have a luggage rack/sissy bar on my LT, this bag doesn't require either of them. It comes with a mounting pad that goes underneath the passenger pillion to connect to the bag on top. When you set it up like this, it also works as a padded backrest.

Very happy with this bag and the room that it has.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I purchased a Kuryakyn GranTour Bag for some extended overnighters this summer. Although I have a luggage rack/sissy bar on my LT, this bag doesn't require either of them. It comes with a mounting pad that goes underneath the passenger pillion to connect to the bag on top. When you set it up like this, it also works as a padded backrest.

Very happy with this bag and the room that it has.
Well that solves my issue. I know what bag i will buy now. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Here's a nice youtube link showing off Kury's grantour bag

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huebFSiQdRo

Notice the way it mounts under the seat if you don't have a backrest. It may not be so secure for a Custom, as there's no latch or set screw at the back of the seat. With a backrest, though, this is one fine lookin' bag! I may be sold on one myself now instead of holding out for the Biker's Friend bag. :D

·
Registered
147 Posts
Tang, I was in a similar situation earlier this year. I have a Custom, I do not want a sissy bar, I need a passanger seat once in a while and I wanted a decent-size luggage. I did a lot of research and poking around.

Finally, I found a near-perfect solution in the following combination:

- Custom World Intl. luggage rack (I got the oversized model, although I would have been with the regular too, I am sure. Anyway, it's like a $25 difference or so...) it's the rack only, although you always have the option to add a sissy bar later.

- Bestem hardbag - It mounts on the rack with a mounting plate, everything fits very well and it is trivial to install and mount. It is a big size, 50+ liters or something like that, it fits 2 large helmets comfortably. It is lockable, it has a light (can be either running or brake), it is like a Givi knock-off, I was told, cheap but indeed inexpensive, and it works perfectly).

I got both on eBay. The installation increased the utility of the bike many-many times over. I can fit a relatively large pile of groceries in it. (OK, not a 24-pack of Bounty rolls, that's for sure...)

The hard bag has a handle and it can be detached in a few seconds. One of the best additions I could have made. IMO.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks for the advice everyone.

I also came across a bag that has an under the passenger seat mounting system called the Saddlemen BR3400. Since it has a laptop compartment I may go with this bag instead.

Decisions decisions... :)

·
Registered
182 Posts
Kuryakyn GranTour Bag

Telley, Do you know the model number of the Kuryakyn GranTour Bag?
I have a Custom and want something to attach to the seat only. Big enough for a couple of overnights, not too large for the pillion seat. Can that even be done? :confused:

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Telley, Do you know the model number of the Kuryakyn GranTour Bag?
I have a Custom and want something to attach to the seat only. Big enough for a couple of overnights, not too large for the pillion seat. Can that even be done? :confused:
Check the youtube link found earlier in this thread, it will work just fine under the custom's seat. Friend of mine took an overnight trip with one, no sissy bar, and kept it on for 300 miles including some rather nice twisties! :)

It's the 4141, I believe...

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
About the Grantour bag, what's the lowest price you've seen for one? I found it for $132 at motorcycle-luggage.com but didn't know if there were any better deals out there. I sold my saddlebags earlier this month (too small) and need something to carry a few things to work. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
About the Grantour bag, what's the lowest price you've seen for one? I found it for $132 at motorcycle-luggage.com but didn't know if there were any better deals out there. I sold my saddlebags earlier this month (too small) and need something to carry a few things to work. Thanks.
I found mine on Amazon for 135.00 shipped, but that was last summer.

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
I owned the Saddleman and it strapped down tight under by seat on my previous bike, no longer need one now with my Vaquero with it's side bags and if more space needed, a new pull behind trailer.

The Saddlemen bag is of very good quality and will hold it's shape, well, mine did. I buy a lot from Amazon, good prices and their sellers seem tops.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I hadn't seen the Kuryakyn bags until after I had bought two different sets of luggage. I have since, and wish I had bought them instead. They are very well made and well designed, very adaptable, and worth the few extra bucks, JMHO.

Whatever you get, choose the model with metal D-rings for bungees. Plastic breaks, always when it's awkward, and they are a PIA to replace. Extra pockets on the outside are also very handy.

Have fun.
Scott Fraser
Calgary

·
Registered
182 Posts
I just received the Kuryakyn 4141 gran tour. It looks like a great bag. I can't wait to use it. It comes with alot of extra stuff too.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have the GranTour bag. I had to do some altering of the pad that mounts under the seat in order to make it fit better on my Custom. I did not feel very comfortable mounting it under the stock seat. Seemed like it was not very stable. With my Mustang seat it is much better. The GranTour bag is very well made with lots of storage space and works awesome as a back rest as noted above. The one thing I don't like is that there is only one handle on the top to carry the bag and it is mounted in such a way that it is awkward to carry. Dennis Kirk beats any advertised price and it was delivered to my doorstep in two days with free shipping.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I got my Grantour bag a while back. If anybody is thinking about buying one and wants to see how it is set up, I can post some pictures.

So far, I like it. The main compartment is 13" wide, 9" long (front to back), and 10" tall. The lid has two compartments, one accessible with the lid open, that has a mesh liner to hold things up. The other is accessible from the outside portion of the lid. This is where I usually stick my gloves. There is a pocket on the back that looks like a good place to stuff phone/charger/camera, or similar items. There is a zippered pocket on the outside on each side of the bag. I use one for the rain cover for the bag itself and the other is currently empty. On the outside of each of these is a mesh pocket. The handle is kind of in a weird place but I have used it to carry the bag in to work a few times when rain was threatening.

So far I've mostly left the bag on my luggage rack but this week I'm going to try it on the passenger seat as a backrest. I did ride to work once with it on the seat and with the backrest pad attached but I'm going to give it a try without that pad and see how it feels. The bag has two large velcro strips that can be used to attach it to the sissybar and four metal d-rings on each side (two high, two low) with four adjustable straps to hold it in place. So far I've only used one or two straps to hold it in place. I've been trying different setups to see which works best but haven't used the under-the-seat pad. With the MC Enterprises sissybar, I can loop the straps around the handles to keep them tight so I'm not going to try the pad just yet. I'm looking at making a 450 mile trip to Gatlinburg next month and if my wife doesn't "surprise" me with a new seat, I will probably use the bag as a backrest so I want to get a good feel for how it will act. Also, I haven't used the retractable lock that comes with the bag so I can't comment on that.

Anyway, I like it. It may not have more volume than the saddlebags I sold, but it is set up in such a way that it's more usable for me. I'm able to put a bag with some work papers, a uniform, sunglasses, and the like, plus a lunch bag, jacket liner if I need one, and other odds and ends into the main compartment without overstuffing it. If it's mostly empty, I can put my EXO-400 in there to keep it out of sight. If anybody would like to see some pictures, let me know, but it may take a few days. Overall, a good purchase for me. Highly recommended if you need storage room but want something removable and do not want saddlebags.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts