Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It finally dawned on me that there was an ungodly whinning going on, I just noticed it one day. It becomes noticable bwt 50mph and 55mph and while in 5th. gear. The Bike is a 2009 Classic LT with 20000 miles on it. There is no whine at idle or in any other gear or below 50mph.
Question is: Does this sound to the rest of you out there as the normal transmission whine or could it be the beginning of something else?
Thanks for any responses.
RR:)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You might be right.

Hey Dawg-
Sounds like you could be right, but what does that mean. Is belt wearing or is it miss aligned. I notice that at 55mph in 5th gear whine is loud and apparent but if I maintain speed and shift down to 4th..............BYE BYE WHINE. Would that work with your theory?:waving:

·
Banned
334 Posts
There is no whine at idle or in any other gear or below 50mph.
My 2007 Classic had a whine in all gears except 1st. The noise would go away when I pulled in the clutch and coasted. Changing the belt tension didn't help.

Joe

·
Registered
227 Posts
We have to live with it...

One sure thing about the 900 is the tranny whine!
It seems it happens on all of them!
Mine (07, 15000 mi) is in all gears but the 5th, which is good when on a long ride but not that good in commuting everyday.
Mine is worst not at 50 or 60 but between 18 and 25, not matter what gear I am in, no matter if the clutch is pulled in or not, no matter accelerating or decelerating...
I am planning to get a Kawasaki shop to test it but expect an evasive answer like "they all do that" and "yours is just loud at this speed"...
So I expect it will be a waist of money excepted for the peace of mind I might get out of it...

·
Registered
424 Posts
Hey Dawg-
Sounds like you could be right, but what does that mean. Is belt wearing or is it miss aligned. I notice that at 55mph in 5th gear whine is loud and apparent but if I maintain speed and shift down to 4th..............BYE BYE WHINE. Would that work with your theory?:waving:
Yup that would work, I have a whine/squeak under coast or cruse but under acceleration it is quiet. Sounds like the belt. Check belt tension/alignment.

There are only 2 whines you should be concerned about on the 900.
The one behind the drivers head when ridding two up.:rolleyes:
The one that appears suddenly, is heard when the engine starts, goes up in pitch with the engine rpm, and then suddenly stops about a month later. This one is bad. This whine is the stator in its death throws.

Ride Safe but Ride.

·
Registered
112 Posts
What you're describing sounds exactly like what mine does. It's not pleasant but it's something I've almost got used to. It's worst at 90 km/h (about 57 mph) in 5th, goes away at higher cruising speeds and isn't particularly bothersome at lower street speeds. Gets better after the bike warms up and is worst on my morning commute on a busy, slowish motorway.

I find it's worse with my AGV full face helmet -- I think the venting that makes that helmet so cool also feeds the noise straight into my ears. A good set of ear plugs will help -- bike specific ones that cut down high frequency wind noise should also cut down a good bit of that whine. Plugs meant for power tool users aren't so helpful.

That noise is without question the worst thing about this bike.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
mine howls in 4th if I'm putting along at 35. always has, and belt adjustment has made no difference. seems to be these odd noises are just the nature of the beast.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
One sure thing about the 900 is the tranny whine!
It seems it happens on all of them!
Mine (07, 15000 mi) is in all gears but the 5th, which is good when on a long ride but not that good in commuting everyday.
Mine is worst not at 50 or 60 but between 18 and 25, not matter what gear I am in, no matter if the clutch is pulled in or not, no matter accelerating or decelerating...
I am planning to get a Kawasaki shop to test it but expect an evasive answer like "they all do that" and "yours is just loud at this speed"...
So I expect it will be a waist of money excepted for the peace of mind I might get out of it...
Frenchy, I had the exact same thing and it was the belt being too tight. Just the slightest loosening cured the noise.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Frenchy, I had the exact same thing and it was the belt being too tight. Just the slightest loosening cured the noise.
Thanks, I will give this a try and get it adjusted, I can put up with the whining in gears as they get shifted quite rapidly, it's the extra howling between 20 and 30 km/h that is getting on one's nerves...If this will reduce it I'd be happy.
Cheers

1 - 11 of 11 Posts