Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so about two months ago I had to replace my clutch cable. I got lucky on that, it popped just as I parked in my garage. Already had one on order cause it was fraying at the lever end. So I put the new one on, adjust it to what I think is proper tension, lever feels great. Start the bike up and try to go through the gear. First is excellent, no problem to neutral. Second, third, fourth and fifth are a different story. I have to basically kick my shift lever to get to second and it grinds getting there. Third is a far as it will go. The bike will move in first and second, but not in third. I am very inexperienced in motorcycle mechanics and dont have the extra money to take it to a shop. Any help that can be provided will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
1. Kicking shift lever is a short trip to a bent shifting fork and a case split to replace.
2. Are you moving while trying to shift the transmission from gear to gear?
3. What free play did you set your clutch lever to?

Post back.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not exactly kicking the shift lever, just putting a lot of pressure on it. I have almost no free play in the cable. I have tried shifting with the engine off as well as with it running, stationary and rolling back and forth.

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
just putting a lot of pressure on it..
Just as bad as kicking.

Your owners manual has a section on how to adjust the clutch to Kawasaki specifications.

These transmissions will only shift into first gear while stationary, and with all other gears, the bike must be rolling down the road to shift easily.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Kinda tells you its the clutch lever cable adjustment, then, right?

You may as well adjust the cable to spec before beating the crap out of your shifter/tranny.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Could the connection of the cable to lower lever be incorrect?
You may have done some damage to the clutch lever at the lower case or internal.
For myself I have never been able to shift into 2nd from 1st or neutral at a stop, running or not(had to compression start) hated doing it, really had no choice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts